Joe Bonamassa

Rate this topic

forgivendays

HOLY SHIT! That's some of the best vocals AND guitar playing I've heard in one song! And done by the same guy. It's funny because I've heard about Joe Bonamassa a long time ago as a very young guitar player prodigy, but I never knew he could sing, let alone this amazingly well. Sounds like a mixture between Danny Gokey, Lou Gramm and Gary Moore.

Yeah Joe Bonamassa is really good, but I somehow don't get the over-the-top reaction everyone has with his playing cuz in my books Johny Lang and Kenny Wayne Shepherd has been doing things like him for a long time now.

This is a great bluesy song. I noticed this guy sings with almost a slightly protruding jaw. Actually his tone and style reminds me somewhat of John Mayer who has a lot of unorthodox movements with his mouth, jaw, tongue. I get the impression John is trying to increase his throat space from side to side; horizontally. And he often sings in a somewhat slurring style.

It’s amazing all the infinite ways there actually are to create different sounds and emotions.

Ah jesus, we've got another winner here. I know I say this every time somebody posts a dirty blues man, but what the hell is going on here? Check the high notes at 2:45ish and 4:07ish... no moany/crying, no dopey sounding vowel modifications. Just good, smooth, laid back griminess. I've got to hate the man haha. If anyone is capable of singing like this (in curbing/mix/passagio range but without the vanilla "cry into it" approach), my fellow dirtbags and I want to hear and discuss!

Sorry, Raphael, but in those two spots you mentioned, "crying" was a part of the basis for his sound on those high notes and vowel modification was the most likely reason why he got the rasp (modifying vowels in a certain way is one good way to get that creaking type of rasp.)

Ah jesus, we've got another winner here. I know I say this every time somebody posts a dirty blues man, but what the hell is going on here? Check the high notes at 2:45ish and 4:07ish... no moany/crying, no dopey sounding vowel modifications. Just good, smooth, laid back griminess. I've got to hate the man haha. If anyone is capable of singing like this (in curbing/mix/passagio range but without the vanilla "cry into it" approach), my fellow dirtbags and I want to hear and discuss!

raphaels,

a non-cvt comment ....lol!!!

the best vowel mods. are the ones virtually indetectable...... he is definitely using vowel modification and cry.

Hahah I'm actually not the biggest fan of CVT bob, I just see their lingo get thrown around here a lot so I figured when in rome, do as the romans do.

I spiritedly agree that a minimum amount of cry is a prerequisite at that volume and pitch, but the question is how to completely conceal the sound of it. To put it more simply, how to make curbing sound breathy without damaging anything.

As for the vowel mod, I still think it's pretty likely that he's only doing mods that come naturally as a result of his preachy blues pronunciation. This is debatable, but either way he's not doing mods that result in the curbing/mix/passagio tone as taught by your average teacher or home study program. The creaking likely comes from dwelling between modes (i.e. between appropiate curbing vowels and whatever the hell other vowels he wants), but I know from experience that there is no vowel mod perfect enough to suddenly create the illusion of air in your curbing. I often suspect that the textbook mods are most often much used to maintain exactly the sound I'm trying to avoid haha... modifying towards "Ih" and "O" really help me to keep a clean, balanced sound through my passagio. If only that vanilla sound was more useful to me!

I realize that I'm in the minority here, as a lot of you guys have very different goals with your voices than I do, so feel free to ignore these posts if they become redundant. I figure persistence is the key, both in my practice sessions and in my search for relevant info.

i hear ya my friend...see my latest post...lol!!!