Developing a rasp?

Rate this topic

jinxnothing

For rasp on high notes, lots of twang, a relaxed throat, very, very little air, increased breath support and some sort of underlying intense emotion are probably the most important ingredients. For low rasp, the twang is not as important but the other things are. More later. Until then you should check the search button for rasp, distortion, grit, creaking, etc.

I would add that sounding raspy is usually a result of the proper utilization of vocal fry and/or distortion. At least that's how it works for me. I'm pretty crappy as a singer, but developing a rasp really wasn't that tough once I understood what I needed to do.

I could always put rasp on low and middle notes, but it wasn't until recently that I could put it on high notes (Above G4 or so). Well, not without really messing up my voice for a couple of days. Anyone else had that problem?

I could always put rasp on low and middle notes, but it wasn't until recently that I could put it on high notes (Above G4 or so). Well, not without really messing up my voice for a couple of days. Anyone else had that problem?

rasp is much easier on the lower notes...the higher notes require a lot of support, at least for me. then you have to keep the pharnyx really open...again for me.