Don't Stop Believin' - 2nd attempt

This was definately a joy to listen to! You're a very talented singer, and it shows how much hard work you've put into your voice! I don't think it would sound better with more twang, but maybe it could help you with a more healthy approach to the grit? It sounds great though!

I'v recently started with the KTVA as well, I'm on second stage now. I think it's a very good approach, and I also experience being able to sing with a lighter configuration through the passagio.

Thanks a lot Marcus - If you listened lately you're hearing a newer version. I'm still working on the song and making changes every few days. I'm much brighter on the first part now whereas before it was a little "dopey" as jonpall described. Instead of "twanging" I'm just using Ken's approach of a brighter tone through the front part of the mouth, lower tongue and higher soft pallet (I think).

You're right about the grit - I still don't know how to turn it on and off safely.

I'm glad you like the KTVA approach.

The intro was the best... keep that type of voice throughout... the grit didn't work so well, and it cause some minor issues. Don't push the high note at the end of the song..

If you stuck with the style you did in the intro it would make the song sparkle.. as it is, it sounds really good.. nice job

aldertate - thank you for your comments. The stuff at the beginning I've been working hard at - singing with a lighter registration right through the passagio area E4 - B4 and I've only been able to sing like this for about a month. Normally I'd be belting in that area with thicker folds.

Yes - the last note sucks - I am in no way satisfied with it. My goal is to sing that note with some tasty distortion. But first I must learn how.

Wow, GREAT job on a very challenging song!!! Let me first say that you sang your ass off and I just attempted this song myself yesterday and it sounded like hell compared to your version!

My only small critique is that I could sort of tell that you were "thinking" about the technique in some parts as opposed to it being purely from your soul if you know what I mean? Don't get me wrong because you truly did a fantastic job but I know that you are capable of an even better performance once you feel more comfortable using the lighter vocal style you have going on this track. I'm really bad for being a belter myself and it can be an odd feeling singing lighter than you are used to. Overall I LOVED your voice on this and I can't wait to hear more from you!

Dude...You ROCK!!! :)

Mertd - Thanks a lot for listening and for your comments!

Mike - Thanks for listening! I do know what you mean. I'm still only a couple months learning to sing light. I originally was going to do this song full strength, but the beginning part just didn't sound right. I'm still working on it - and yes - It isn't totally "in my voice" to where I'm just connecting with the emotion. The technique is standing in the way a little. I won't be satisfied until the technical aspects of this song are second nature.

Geno

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not hearing any real chest resonance. I think you're too much in your head voice so the sound doesn't sound "authentic." Relax the throat so your sound is richer. I think this is one of the biggest struggles of singing high. How to hit these high notes and sound authentic? When your larynx moves up (at all) you're no longer singing from where you talk. More diaphram + relaxing the throat more to open up your chest voice into the sound will greatly improve it I believe. Powerful voice, good pitch, and it sounds VERY close to listening to you. I just felt like I was missing out while listening. Like you weren't giving me what I wanted, which was to hear you, not your pretty singing voice :)

g0dvollie, I happen to have a "pretty" singing voice. What is wrong with mine. Trust me, I understand that everyone has their own psychological filter through which they hear and see everything. I just don't see what's wrong with a "pretty" voice. So, are you saying that Steve Perry DIDN'T have a pretty singing voice? How so? Where you expecting a Steven Tyler version? How about a growly John Kay (Steppenwolf) version? Its' one thing to throw around some buzzwords. It's another thing to actually explain. Unless it's just a stylistic thing for you, in which case, his technique was fine, you just didn't like his voice. That's what you should say.

Archived