I this glottal compression

Rate this topic

chillwynston

Good day fellow melodic chums

I have a question..

Yesterday while in band practice (rock band, Alter Bridge style so quite high and hard singing)

I was taking big breaths for all the big notes and trying to project the notes as well as I could... ok that was in practice.

On the way home in the car I was singing the same songs, but I found myself using far less air using less volume than in practice, sometimes I control the note a lot better than if I see the note as some kind of mountain I need massive air velocity for, I think what I am doing(in the car) is cutting the air back and I can feel a compression in the mouth (not sure I may be constricting the throat seeing Im sitting down, but I seem to be able to hit the notes with less effort) what is this??

I wanna be able to harness this easiness when Im singing on stage etc.. Also I tried a siren like this in the car and I nearly got a clear bridge right at the top of my chest, which is something that I've had to do low down when I'm doing my training.. Would u say I was using glottal compression?

The only thing about it is I do feel feel a constriction in the throat giving that compressed sound but with glottal compression where should I feel this compression, in the chest??

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on this!!

Thanks

Mike

Perhaps you'd like to improve your singing BOTH with a pretty loud voice AND with medium volume? The thing is, those two methods have a different sound to them which can be heard even with amplification and compressors which even out the volume. With a rock band that's playing very intense music, sometimes restraining the volume too much just doesn't sound right and you kind of gotta "shout out to the world". That type of singing DOES take more effort, mostly in terms of breath support. The most important thing would be to sing with almost no air at all, sufficient twang, slight yawn unless you're going for a very thin sound and with a relaxed, open throat. And I think it's a good idea to always feel that you COULD sing a bit louder, so never go to absolute maximum volume. With the band you might use cord compression on some vowels f.ex. in words like "you" and "me" so they don't become too splatty. Lot of options, really. But yeah, in the car, it sounded like you were singing with a constant cord compression which usually keeps the volume at medium level. If you use TOO much cord compression, you'll feel it strain your throat, yes, so try to find a happy medium between too much and too little.

Glottal compression is explained and demonstrated in KTVA stage 3. He explains that without a solid foundation of singing without tension, you can very easily use your constricters to acheive compression which will be detrimental. This is why he saves this technique for the last stage. You don't really feel any compression build-up anywhere. If you do, you're may be doing it wrong. It is very subtle, but done correctly it is very effective.

Then there are other vocal instructors (SLS guys f.ex.) who feel that glottal compression is safe for students from the get go. I think they have a point because if you just moan with a relaxed throat, you're there. But vocal instructors will probably always disagree about the details on how to coach students. Then again, students are induviduals and some may be more prone to constriction than others.

I was taking big breaths for all the big notes

this is one area where i really made mistakes......and thanks to steve fraser and others i need to reiterate this point...

you don't need big breaths for any singing, you need "efficient" supported, breaths per each vocal requirement.

you don't even need to inhale to sing if you wanted to! you could stop breathing and still sing a supported tone. how you manage exhalation is much more important than inhalation. people will often say "now take a deep breath" but that can be very misleading, because what they really want you to do is take a deep efficient breath.....not have you blow up like a balloon.

One thing that comes to mind, for me its 10x easier to sing anything in the car, I'm not competing with a live band. Your vocal register in terms of EQ crosses many frequency ranges of the guitar and cymbals. This virtually washes just about every nuance of your vocal. There isn't really a good way of fixing this at practice, almost every situation I've been in I can never get the vocal to sit above the rest of the band. Its a little better at live shows depending on who is running sound. If you are concerned with your singing I would suggest in ears at practice and on stage. This I feel is the best way to get a true sense of what you are doing while being able to personally control the rest of the band in your mix. This can help you breathe the way you want/need for proper breath control for the music you are doing. Keep in mind Myles is an amazing vocalist with 20+ years professional experience and is highly trained as a vocalist. I sometimes practice my breath control and technique to the Max sessions Myles did with slash. You can find them on youtube. Myles and Slash did 7 songs in Germany last year for an awesome acoustic set. Great sound, very clear, you can get a true sense of his vocal style if you listen carefully. He commented that he had to grow and change his way of singing to fit the GNR songs he had to do night after night touring with Slash, and drew heavily from his Bel Canto training.

Phew, ok after all that, I'd say breath control, getting the most tone and volume out of each note using controlled breath not big breaths. My additional 2c is don't expect to be crisp and clear at practice with a hard rock band.

Glottal compression is explained and demonstrated in KTVA stage 3. He explains that without a solid foundation of singing without tension, you can very easily use your constricters to acheive compression which will be detrimental. This is why he saves this technique for the last stage. You don't really feel any compression build-up anywhere. If you do, you're may be doing it wrong. It is very subtle, but done correctly it is very effective.

Ah cheers buddy, I am on level 2 at the moment, I like Kens explanation of holding your breath haha he has a nice analogy, I have asthma so its the same as holding my breath while taking my pump and slowly letting it out..

Great vocal too mate, heard dont stop believing last night, loved it!! Will upload my voice very soon you can critique me :D

All your comments are very explanatory of why I sing differently in the car and practice, what I need to do is keep at it and find that medium where I am keep my "its the La" open throat and holding my breath, I do do it except I need to maximise it so not to dry the cord.. With everything I know I'll get it with enough practice..

wait, hold it...hooooollllllldddddd it!!

lol!!!

holding your breath?

nah, not in the literal sense....more holding back the breath, using less breath, metering the exhale of breath, compressing the breath but i wouldn't say "holding" it.

that technique is used sparingly when called for.

wait, hold it...hooooollllllldddddd it!!

lol!!!

holding your breath?

nah, not in the literal sense....more holding back the breath, using less breath, metering the exhale of breath, compressing the breath but i wouldn't say "holding" it.

that technique is used sparingly when called for.

Ha, yeah more like drip feeding the breath if that makes sense, I watched stage 3 dvds of KTVA (Ken's dvds) and am gonna have a go later on today... Then I watched a bunch of Geoff Tate videos.... WOW!! Effortless massive voice!!

Ha, yeah more like drip feeding the breath if that makes sense, I watched stage 3 dvds of KTVA (Ken's dvds) and am gonna have a go later on today... Then I watched a bunch of Geoff Tate videos.... WOW!! Effortless massive voice!!

sorry, i'm gonna chime in here too...it's not without effort, the trick is getting there with the least amount of effort...without constricting and pushing but make no mistake about it...effort is indeed expended...singing is very athletic and can involve the entire body.

i personally resent when teachers marketing their programs tell you how you'll gain this and that in no time, and you'll sing with no effort.

bullshit! maybe easy, low key songs...but not some of the songs we work on on the forum. songs like "whole lotta love?" i don't think so.