Vocal Range - Can it really be extended?

D.Starr

Wow that's awesome. You reckon this could unleash those high notes and hard to reach places if I do this more often?

that's just one exercise...you need to commit to a 5-6 day a week regimen of various exercises...gotta work at this stuff if you're goal is pro-level.

is that your goal d?

Shit yeah. I pretty much sing everyday, yeah I have other interests but singing just suits me in my personnel and honest opinion.

I dream of the stage, the heat, the bass, the crowd, the studio, fans, inspiring, touring.... EVERYTHING.

The thing is I quit stuff pretty easy.. I lack motivation. I can sometimes exercise my voice all day and then slowly ween my self off day by day and it just ends in me singing sings everyday. But I wanna get my self tuned up and at a pro level because that's what I wanna do.

Vocal range can be extended in the upper range by a lot. In the lower range... Not so much. It's all up to you, really. But you will need a lot of motivation and dedication if professional singing is your goal. And this can only come from you.

Vocal range can be extended in the upper range by a lot. In the lower range... Not so much. It's all up to you, really. But you will need a lot of motivation and dedication if professional singing is your goal. And this can only come from you.

well said ronron....i want to be the guy you doesn't sugarcoat things and tell you flat out it's gonna happen overnight...it is not...and....the truth is you will take a few steps back, to take a step forward at times.

get yourself into a 5-6 days a week practice routine, i can almost guarantee you results.

i sang "waiting for a girl like you" last night in a karaoke bar...got to the tough parts i can normally hit, and last night it just wasn't happening.

it just wasn't working...rather than beat myself up about it, which i did anyway (lol!!!) i just have to say it's a difficult part, and there's always tomorrow.

Yeah I understand I'm gunna have ups and downs.

Like today, I started the day out just some simple exercises to warm up, then work on my chest voice with a few simple songs. But I didn't feel the same ease I did yesterday with a few songs, the high were a little more chokey. I accept you can be and can't be 100% sometimes.

Oh and I have no idea where to start with a proper routine, it's easy to follow CDs but I always feel that I keep doing the same CD over and over and never really advance through them. I wrote a setlist a while ago but I feel that it's amateur and very basic. This NG thing has helped me, I wanna try with adding power, transition, curbing and head voice but I wouldn't know where to start.

I kinda wanna start Singing for the starts all over again, but I found myself stuck transitioning on certain exercises so I begin to skip exercises. Maybe I should warm up with a few NG sirens and scales because they ease up the break in my voice and then begin the CDs.

Be careful D.Starr. When I first did the "ng" thing and went really high, I started singing songs I never was able to sing before. After a couple weeks I strained my voice to the point of having to rest it for several weeks. You need to get on a practice regimine that exercises your new voice a "measured" amount every day - not too much. This is where a program like KTVA comes in really handy. When you are on a practice regimine you'll be 100% every day.

Yeah I think that may be what is happening, I'm shooting for the stars in a cardboard rocket.

I'm really low on cash so KTVA will have to go on hold. I need to try and work out a good set piece but like I said I'm practically a noob and Ive stumbled upon something new and I'm kinda abusing it.

EDIT

I'll post the setlist I created which I think is too simple and doesn't do much at all, and may even be too much.

WARMUP

LIP BUBBLES – SCALED

BREATING – 10 mins

SSSS – QUIET & SLOW

SSSS – LOUD & SLOW

SSSS x3 – QUIET & SLOW

SSSS – SOFT TO LOUD

SSSS x3 – BOUNCE THEN HOLD

SSSS x3 – BOUNCE, HOLD SOFT TO LOUD

SCALES – 10 mins

AAH

EEE

OH

UH

GUG GUG GUG – SCALED

BUB BUB BUB – SCALED

MUM MUM MUM – SCALED

Vocal Clossure

AHH (CAT)

AI – (MY)

AY - (PAY)

Nay - creaky

Gug - creaky

Stacatto octave

Curbing

‘O' (as in ‘woman')

‘UH' (as in ‘hungry')

‘I' (as in ‘sit')

Breathing

F – Hold the note

Z – Hold the note

SHH – Hole the note

OTHERS

SIRENS – SCALED

FALSETOO SLIDES

VIBRATO – SCALED

TONGUE OUTS – SCALED

WARM DOWN

VOCAL FRY

That looks like a great start. As long as it is structured and measured and you do roughly the same amount every day, gradually building in more. If you feel it is too much scale it back. Take a day off if you felt you over did it. The right amount will allow you to be 100% every day.

I think I heard it stops the tongue pushing back into the throat in a sense.

Sticking out the tongue and singing a note or saying a vowel etc on a scale, if the tongue proceeds to attempt to move back then this can hinder singing.

Plus I guess it stretches the tongue.

Archived