Axl Rose - What do you think?

Rate this topic

chillwynston

Hi guys, I grew up on Guns N Roses, Axl Rose's voice stands out a mile, he sold millions with it, great.. But

What do you guys think of his technique??

I watched Myles Kennedy singing Civil War yesteday (he says this is his most challenging GnR song due to the up and down style of the song) then I listened to Axl in 92 singing it, its a lot more raw, sounds great but I cant imagine how he could have gone day in day out doing that without smashing up his voice (which he did, watched an 2002 video - Ouch)..

Has he been trained or is he just going for it each time??

Axl Rose grew up singing in church choir, at the insistence of his mother. He had a band after high school called Axl. Then, he went to California and met with some guys to form Hollywood Rose and then had to give up that name because it was already in use. The band was originally comprised of Tracii Guns, Axl Rose, and Rob Gardner on drums. So, they changed it to Guns and Roses. The line-up has changed several times since then. Most often, Axl sang bass. But he could do this buzzsaw "falsetto", as Rob Gardner calls, that sounded uniqiue and Gardner asked him to keep doing that. He may have had a vocal coach on the Use Your Illusions tour. But not to begin with.

Then, again, some singers are secretive about their origins. They like the idea that somehow being born with this ability makes them special.

I think Axl's technique around "Appetite for destruction" was amazing. He probably didn't take care of his voice during touring and didn't have the vocal technique knowledge or proper coach to help him out when he started to run into vocal problems. But he could sing like that night after night for several years and there are guys who can do it, seemingly for decades. A lot of vocal coaches insist that you should be able to sing like that for as many years as you want, provided you use the right technique and know how to get back on track if you start to lose the ability to sing like this. But then there are other vocal coaches who don't recommend this. The main thing is that if it hurts, you're doing it wrong. And know the difference between fatique and pain. Personally I think GNR songs sound much better with rasp on and with lots of attitude, even though I think Myles is a great singer. I really like the song "Starlight" he did with Slash, f.ex.

I wonder how good he could have been!

yeah think he gave the songs an awesome balls to the wall sound that that type of music needs.. I think Myles is one of the kings of progressive rock/metal and has amazing technique and range, but you need to be wearing that rebel leather jacket and probably telling all your band mates to f%&k off to sing songs like 'get in the ring' or 'back of b!tch'.. ha.. I loved the late 80's early 90's rock..

I was a bit sad when I seen him interviewed looking all fat and old in 02, I felt like saying give up man!!

I love the song starlight, his movement into head I think on the word cry in the chorus is amazing, I first thought it was ridiculously high chest but thats what he wants us to think, so gonna practice that song...

Bob is quite right, allegedly Axl overheard Ron Keel warming up for a rehearsal and asked him who his teacher was - Elisabeth Sabine :)

hey tony, could i get you to head over to my "question for the "pros" recent post and let me know what you think? thanks in advance.

Yes, I have also read that Axl studied with Sabine. As for the "overweight" thing, just remember that he just turned 49 years old. Granted, I am the exception to the rule of being thinner at 47 than when I was, say, at 20, but let me see how many people that are coming up on 50 that haven't gained just a little weight since their early 20's. Even Tate and Dickinson have to run a few miles a day to keep in some kind of shape. It's called aging and it will get every single one of us. Or, as I like to say, if you eat right, don't smoke, don't drink to excess, get plenty of rest, manage your stress well, visit the doctor and do all the right things health-wise, then, sometime between 70 and 100 years of age, you will die. Everyone dies. And the body usually slows down some, before then. Quoting Sir Elton John, "Everthing about this house was born to grow and die ..."

Each and every one of us, and I do mean you, and you, and especially, YOU, will die. It's a fact, regardless of any fantasy to the contrary. And the tooth fairy was your parents, while I'm in a myth-busting mode.

On appetite for Destruction, Axl's technique, control and rasp were absolutely amazing as far as I'm concerned. I think what " smashed " his voice the most was that he simply did not practice for a long time.

Axl warming up during a sound check.

You can hear how much nasal he gets into. A previous thread, "Patience," I was asking you, Ronron, to get a little more nasal and this was the reason why. I was trying to surreptitiously lead to this.