New original song (some raspy, attitude stuff)

• TMV World Legacy Member

Okay, so it's only a test mix. We had very limited time (he's got a baby and those small things with their chubby fingers and whatnot need to sleep early) and I had to come up with melody and lyrics on the go so.. This is what became... I do have to say, when given time I can't come up with dick but I reckon I really liked this approach...

Anyway, I've always been taking crap because I sing "pretty" and I'm not suited for rock/metal at all. I've come to agree with this because I really strive to get a clean and nice tone - it's what my heart likes singing. My heart unfortunately love metal too O_O

ANYWHO! As I said, it's only a test-mix and the off-pitch singing needs to be re-sung... I did think I got some attitude in the singing and I was pretty amazed that I could sound like I did (that is, hearing how it sounded BEFORE the mixing xD)

Any input is, as always, extremely appreciated :3

Lyrics;

Verse1

You will never see me cry

There is no weakness found inside

I'm a man it is what I do

Tears are for the woman in you

Chorus;

But...

Right behind you I smile

Right beside you I'd die

All inside

It's all inside

Verse2

I'm a rock I will never cave

I don't give a shit about your broken nails

Dry your eyes don't give me that look

Don't think you can read me like an open book

Chorus

Verse3

Scratches and bites, you're angry you're mad

It's what I call some fun in bed

But bring that shit out in the light

And I'll make sure you won't get dick tonight

Chorus x2

I give up ... what's wrong with it? Really?

I guess I'm to have to start kicking butt or chewing bubblegum and I'm all out of bubblegum. There is nothing wrong with a clean voice in "heavy metal." Unless you want to discount Geoff Tate. Or, for the most part, Bruce Dickinson. While you're at it, tell Michael Sweet from Stryper that he was totally wrong for the genre. As much as I admire and love the sound of Ronnie James Dio, one does not have to sound like him to sing heavy metal. You do not have to sound like Phil Anselmo. Or James Hetfield.

I, too, may be characterized at times as having a clean voice. I dare anyone to try and make me stop from enjoying singing what I want to sing. Then again, that might be a cultural thing and certainly an upbringing thing. I get my stubbornness from my mother. We could teach mules how to be "stubborn."

I'm going to keep tasking you to accept your voice until you do. And trust me, I will win. Not only am I more stubborn, I have had more years at being stubborn than you have been alive. :)

Didn't sound overly pretty to me. I think it was excellent - especially for something run up with so little time. Well done.

I do understand having difficulty identifying your voice with the genre you love to listen to, though. I love to listen to alternative, punk and rock. Yet I sing jazz. Because I do that so much better. I record myself doing a bit of rock - it just doesn't work. I don't think you have this problem so much though, and particularly with original music, you need to make your own sound - it is not about imitation. I think there is alot of scope to contrast the vocalist's personal style with the sounds typical of a genre. Find YOU - perhaps that WAS you. And it was great.

Haha Ron, I really had to hear that! :3 And you're right. We got Michael Kiske of Helloween as well, my biggest influence. He barely rasps at all! I really thank you! :3

SH; I know, this particular song I tried to get a bit more "rockish" approach, and I'm amazed it worked! I really like the phrasing and the raspiness... With pretty I mean how I always sing, here's the previous song I made with the same guy;

Especially in the chorus high notes you can hear it. I would say this type of singing is alot more me, but people don't enjoy it at all as much as when I rasp :(

Yeah, I hear it. But the mix isn't helping matters there either. It's not just your tone. If you used the same tone, but brightened it in the mix, it would be better. We always find fault with ourselves first. Isn't it really about expressing ourselves, and who we are, not running around pleasing others? Do what YOU love and explore how to make it work with the instrumental and the mix. Perhaps, if the softer, more mellow style is more you, you should consider experimenting with other types of music, and find your own style, instead of trying to make YOU fit in this metal box, which it sounds like you find a little uncomfortable. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your vocals. It is just a matter of figuring out who you are and where you fit, then finding an audience that wants that. I can't remember the name of a very famous heavy rock band who took on an operatically trained female lead vocal. They melded the two styles and the result was stunning. Sometimes, a paradox is interesting and gives a lot more artistic possibility.

SH, I think the band you are thinking of is Evanescence.

I thnk the mix should bring the vocal up a little sharper, as well, but that is a mixing problem. not a vocal problem. It's hard to find a mixing person who really understands the whole song and doesn't have a specialty for guitars or drums (which is has been the case in more than one mix. Seriously, such a "mixing engineer" should just admit they have a crush on the guitar player or drummer and live a more honest life.)

And I am all about the paradox because it is art. I firmly believe, unlike many others, that a clean, angelic voice does have a place in heavy metal music, if nothing else than for the contrast between light and heavy, light and dark, demonic and angelic. Then, again, that is just me. But a mold or form is confining and I find it ironic that those who want to be "free" to do heavy metal will often constrain themselves to just one sound. And call their parents limitedand hypocritical. We all become our parents, such is the sad destiny.

ronws - that's them! I just couldn't remember it for the life of me. Mental block. I knew someone would know who I was talking about - anyway, I loved their stuff. And I agree, about the paradox and freedom of expression and the constrains of genre. And I can see that in another ten years my kids will look upon the music of my youth (Nirvana, G&R) with the disdain that I looked upon The Beatles, and Simon and Garfunkle. Plus, I agree, Metal is not the avante garde that it once was, and sometimes still pertains to be. Music has evolved in a lot of different directions, and the metal movement was around strongly fifteen or twenty and maybe more years ago. It is almost in danger of becoming a cliched symbol of disestablishmentarianism - one where all the voices of dissent struggle to fit into the establishment that metal has become. Artists do need to discover what gives them their own voice, what harnesses their creativity and their need to express themselves. We need to strengthen our voices so that we don't injure ourselves and are able to make the sounds we want to make, but we need to figure out for ourselves what those sounds are. We need to listen to lots of different types of music and gather ideas and be prepared to accept something that might appeal to us despite our preconceptions. OK, enough soap box, but that was fun.

Dude, I liked it. Just sing like YOU want to sing and don't listen TOO much to others. However, I must say that I did hear a very slight rasp here and there in that track and it sounded cool. I think the rasp happened because you were focusing on the general attitude of the song and your voice, so that, perhaps without you really intending it - slight rasp came out in just the right place. And that slight rasp is actually more generally liked than a LOT of rasp, IMO.

To me it sounded like you had some distortion on the mic and in my mind, unless used stylistically and tastefully, that's a big no no if you're using it to compensate for a lack of grit in your own vocals. I would rather hear a clean vocal rather than one messed around with to sound distorted. That's just my opinion anyway. I share the same problem as you so I know how you feel.

I would recommend checking out a band called Periphery as although the singer does use screams, his cleans are so pure and sung over the top of some really heavy grooves, and it sounds amazing!

Email: mpbmusic@hotmail.co.uk

Skype Name: classichellobello25

SH, I think the band you are thinking of is Evanescence.

Hey guys... If you like Evanescense, you should check out Within Temptation... This girl has some pipes. My 14 yo daughter introduced me to them. I actually like them more than Evanescence....

Just a side note--Within Temptation's lead vocalist, Sharon Adel, has been an opera singer.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments. MB20; I did sing with distortion. You can hear the rasp on alot of notes in the verses. However in the mix, the guy put additional distortion on the vocals to give it more of an "industrial" feel. I kinda like it, though it's a bit too much :3

Jonpall; The rasp actually happened because, well.. I was confronted saying "If you can't sing the "harder" parts and only sing ballady/pretty, the bassist can take over those parts" and that ticked me off -.- So I put some rasp on it... It is a bit of an effort and doesn't come naturally AT ALL... But I could sing high clean notes just fine after and the next day my voice was in perfect condition so I guess it wasn't harmful at all even though I'm not used to singing like that... :3

Archived