Rythm/Musicality

Rate this topic

Elrathion

Suggestions:

Tomatis type listening. That means iMozart from voxmentor.com

The site is being reformatted. Wait a week or two while we install Paypal. You will need headphones with a ffrr of 20,000 Hz. This is not biggie. You just have to make sure the fit is good so your ears are free and comfortable. For that we suggest over the ear headphones. I have seen them for under 30 dollars from Sony. or up to 150. WE prefer open ear models over studio monitors.

Interactive Metronome is a more complex solution, rhythm based, and you will have to do it with a practitioner, whereas you can buy iMozart and pop it on your MP3.

It was developed for use by musicians, and is now used for kids with auditory processing disorders. It was discovered that correcting their faulty rhythm calmed them down and readied them for other kids of work.

The Tomatis groups has information about listening. As soon as our website id updated, you will find additional things there.

cheers,

Roberta

Here I my ideas about rythm:

on all these exercises - Try not to hurry, since thats the bodies natural tendency. Also, I recommend recording yourself to check, you can't check yourself while doing it.

1. take a metronome, and just clap along, keeping the beat and emphasizing the 1 every measure. Than, try making the metronomes "2" your "1", so you emphasize 1 2 3 4, and the metronome, relative to you, emphasizes 1 2 3 4. notice that you are not hurrying, and start slow. keep moving the emphasis, and then try singing along to the emphasis you clap, and not the metronomes one(something simple), record, and check.

2. do the same thing with different meters, like 3/4, 5/4, 7/8, etc...

3. do the same, only on parts of the beat. so if you have a meter of 3/4, 2/4 or 4/4, work first on 1/8's, 1/16's and on tuplets.

If you can do all that right, you probably can feel and act based on a rhythm.

as for musicality.... I really don't know enough to tell :S I'd like to hear that myself....

caladluin

Hi guys

Getting rhythm makes or breaks a singer in my school of training! I teach movement of the body and counting at the same time with breath. Of course at first, one thing at a time then we put it all together.

I actually don't like to use a metronome approach...having been trained classically in piano with a metronome ticking away...for a musician it is imperative. For a singer I think it can hold you back in the feeling and phrasing of your songs and how you "style" them.

You must be able to count in time and have rhythm but, a singer has freedom OVER the music and beat that the instruments do not have.

I use drumming with the hands, rhythm sticks, foot movements, arm movements, clapping and body movements.

Right now I have 5 kids that have no concept of rhythm and at lesson 3 of the 7 we have done so far , we started the rhythm training. From cardboard stiffness we now have fluidity coming vocally as well as being able to keep in rhythm.

Make it fun and focussed too.....count with songs you like, follow the vocal lead in breath and phrase and GET INTO THE GROOVE of the song.....the rhythm will flow..when you let it flow naturally.

Don't just do 1,2,3,4 double the count...lengthen the count, shorten the count and practise how it feels IN YOU....you have to find your OWN natural rhythm and then you can count with anything you need to very easily.

It will help to learn a little music theory on Rhythm & Tempo. I cover this in my TRUE VOICE COURSE® - see my group and profile page for more info.

;) love Hilary