Question about Head Voice and its development

Rate this topic

JohnGalt

Yes, yes and yes, although it's not going extensively into exercises per se, but comes with a big sound library. It's not the be all end all, and I do not agree with everything that's in the book, but it's definitely worth it.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I am just curious, if you can answer my question about head voice power. If I keep singing in this voice, will its volume and fullness increase naturally with time?

john, to answer the first question, yes, at the top of the siren you are in your head register.

the question above, if you mean singing, as in just singing without any systematic vocal training, i would have to say "no." here's my recipe ( a little controversial perhaps) for growing the head voice....

develop and maintain good breath management, posture

learn to eliminate all unnecessary tension in the neck, jaw, and tongue

learn to memorize configuration to a slight smile/yawn

learn to transition, cut across, and sing through the passagio (in time you'll wonder where it went)

practise good old fashioned scales and areggios (over and over) in full voice training the folds to stay appropriately adducted.

learn to tune your particular vocal chamber to maximize tonal efficiency and resonance per note

very simply put, you have to get the vocal folds strong enough to adduct and stay adducted the higher you go, and it doesn't happen overnight. speaking has never called upon them to perform like this. that's why we have to build the coordination and ability.

Okay, I have been working a lot on the first three, and I have a question about the tongue, it's something that I noticed I think I am having an issue with. If I look at myself in the mirror when I am going up in a siren, once I reach some threshold, which note it is exactly I am unsure, but my guess would be between E4 and A4, my tongue begins to become narrower and narrower, instead of simply being flat across the bottom of my mouth. Is this tension in the tongue?

Okay, in terms of the systematic vocal training, will sirens also be helpful? I feel like right now they are the easiest method for me to stay connected, and I am trying the scales and arpeggios, I find them more challenging though.

I will start using scales and arpeggios to try the feeling of using the other registers in a new fashion.

Thanks for your post!

Okay, I have been working a lot on the first three, and I have a question about the tongue, it's something that I noticed I think I am having an issue with. If I look at myself in the mirror when I am going up in a siren, once I reach some threshold, which note it is exactly I am unsure, but my guess would be between E4 and A4, my tongue begins to become narrower and narrower, instead of simply being flat across the bottom of my mouth. Is this tension in the tongue?

Okay, in terms of the systematic vocal training, will sirens also be helpful? I feel like right now they are the easiest method for me to stay connected, and I am trying the scales and arpeggios, I find them more challenging though.

I will start using scales and arpeggios to try the feeling of using the other registers in a new fashion.

Thanks for your post!

actually when you siren on "ng" the tongue depending on it's length lifts toward the hard palate. pronounce "sing" and watch where the tongue goes...try that and see if it helps.

for normal singing you should plant it, tip behind lower front teeth. that helps get it out of the way and keeps you from being obstructed by it. the tongue being relaxed is important.

joy sikorski (singingmastermind) www. singingmastermind.com sells this tongue program download for $20..good stuff.

i use sirens every day...don't forget in time you can lean into a siren and really have it wail!! and as you get better at breaking out into vowels you can stay more adducted and produce a seriously intense head tone!

i'll bet you guys like chris cornell has done his share of sirens!

I think I understand what you mean now, I tried today starting in falsetto, and leaning into a voice that seems more powerful, or perhaps it is simply a louder falsetto?

Here's a clip: http://www.box.net/shared/xe7o75svci

And here is a clip of the scale, if this is what you meant:

http://www.box.net/shared/6r100z1dx8

Thanks!

EDIT: I think there's something I should mention, I noticed that my head started to spin a little after doing those falsetto changes whatever they were, it would even feel under pressure when changing into the louder falsetto.

I think I understand what you mean now, I tried today starting in falsetto, and leaning into a voice that seems more powerful, or perhaps it is simply a louder falsetto?

Here's a clip: http://www.box.net/shared/xe7o75svci

And here is a clip of the scale, if this is what you meant:

http://www.box.net/shared/6r100z1dx8

Thanks!

EDIT: I think there's something I should mention, I noticed that my head started to spin a little after doing those falsetto changes whatever they were, it would even feel under pressure when changing into the louder falsetto.

the falsetto transition? what was that meant to be?

john, if you were in front of me i'd help you through that "ah" scale but to explain on the posts would take too much time.

if you want to call me, 914-963-8437 (usa) maybe i can help better.

do yourself a favor for now, don't concern yourself so much with falsetto right now ...it's not anywhere near to importance as head voice.

remember, falsetto is a virtually or completely open glottis phonation....head voice is a closed glottis (adducted vocal fold) phonation

this is key. even if the sound is quiet or light or feminine sounding when you siren up you can't be in falsetto...try it...you cannot "ng" siren in falsetto..you cannot ascend

Sorry about the name falsetto transition, I just wasn't sure what to call it lol. I was just curious if that was all in falsetto or if when it got louder I was transitioning into head voice or not. Thanks for the offer to call! I just might take you up on it when I have enough free time, right now I'm just checking the forums in between studying for my finals so I'm unable to spend a long time focusing on it. I think I finally understand what you mean about the "ng" "falsetto" siren, I uploaded a clip, tell me if this is what you mean:

http://www.box.net/shared/h1aukfdccx

As you can hear, I try opening it, but it's very unstable and it cuts off.

So should I just keep doing these sirens to make my head voice stronger? I feel like right now I can't really do scales or arpeggios in that voice because it's too weak, so perhaps if sirens strengthen the head voice I could keep doing it until it's ready for the next step?

Thanks!

Sorry about the name falsetto transition, I just wasn't sure what to call it lol. I was just curious if that was all in falsetto or if when it got louder I was transitioning into head voice or not. Thanks for the offer to call! I just might take you up on it when I have enough free time, right now I'm just checking the forums in between studying for my finals so I'm unable to spend a long time focusing on it. I think I finally understand what you mean about the "ng" "falsetto" siren, I uploaded a clip, tell me if this is what you mean:

http://www.box.net/shared/h1aukfdccx

As you can hear, I try opening it, but it's very unstable and it cuts off.

So should I just keep doing these sirens to make my head voice stronger? I feel like right now I can't really do scales or arpeggios in that voice because it's too weak, so perhaps if sirens strengthen the head voice I could keep doing it until it's ready for the next step?

Thanks!

first one wasn't bad, second you need to relax more and mamage the breath a little better....gotta practise!

the "ng" is one of many exercises

are you doing exercises for your breathing?

Yes, I certainly will practice, but will doing these "ng" sirens be fruitful practice in terms of head voice development? I just want to start small, with something simple, but effective.

I mostly just do the "sss" exercise, sometimes I will do "shh" and vary the volume, and am trying to maintain it for longer periods.

I'll be back on later today, I look forward to hearing from you!

Yes, I certainly will practice, but will doing these "ng" sirens be fruitful practice in terms of head voice development? I just want to start small, with something simple, but effective.

I mostly just do the "sss" exercise, sometimes I will do "shh" and vary the volume, and am trying to maintain it for longer periods.

I'll be back on later today, I look forward to hearing from you!

absolutely! one of the best! what good is doing an exercise if you don't know why you're doing it?

you need to understand why that exercise is so good...one of the biggest benefits to that exercise is it prevents you from straining. it allows to to work your voice and expand your range. that's your goal ...to expand your range (up and down)

you keep harping on head voice development ...lol!!!! you need to exercise the entire voice john. don't gloss over the low notes just because they seem easier...like i said, the low notes are the key to the higher notes!

My apologies VIDEOHERE :D lol I realize I talk about head voice waaaay too much, I don't mean to suggest that chest/middle aren't important, I am just struggling so much with even getting into head voice whereas I have at least some reasonable ability to get into middle voice. It's just terribly frustrating for me not having a sound in head voice that sounds connected to chest/middle, but I am determined to learn how to do it. Well, do you mean to expand usable range or just "ng" range so to speak? Because I would be more than happy if I could sing the "ng" notes that I can do but with power, and have nothing more than that. I work on lower notes every day, I sing songs and scales in chest and middle voice. I am curious, I was playing with the upper voice today and found this sound that is very weak in terms of volume and connection, I really have to focus to use it, but I feel like it has a distinct "edge" to it. Or is this falsetto? Sorry to be bothering you with this ridiculous amount of sound clips, I am just very curious how to consistently access my real head voice.

Here's the link:http://www.box.net/shared/xgxrohp697

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: So I read about the Four Pillars of Singing, does that program contain the information (exercises, etc.) pertaining to development of a powerful head voice? Would you recommend it?

My apologies VIDEOHERE :D lol I realize I talk about head voice waaaay too much, I don't mean to suggest that chest/middle aren't important, I am just struggling so much with even getting into head voice whereas I have at least some reasonable ability to get into middle voice. It's just terribly frustrating for me not having a sound in head voice that sounds connected to chest/middle, but I am determined to learn how to do it. Well, do you mean to expand usable range or just "ng" range so to speak? Because I would be more than happy if I could sing the "ng" notes that I can do but with power, and have nothing more than that. I work on lower notes every day, I sing songs and scales in chest and middle voice. I am curious, I was playing with the upper voice today and found this sound that is very weak in terms of volume and connection, I really have to focus to use it, but I feel like it has a distinct "edge" to it. Or is this falsetto? Sorry to be bothering you with this ridiculous amount of sound clips, I am just very curious how to consistently access my real head voice.

Here's the link:http://www.box.net/shared/xgxrohp697

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: So I read about the Four Pillars of Singing, does that program contain the information (exercises, etc.) pertaining to development of a powerful head voice? Would you recommend it?

john, no apologies needed buddy.......i actually enjoy helping you!....i just want you to realize that building power is a function of an open throat, breath support and resonance..you will get there if you work at it...(and you have to work at it).

power came somewhat naturally to me, the big mouth that i am, but softness is my liability..we all have stuff to work on. i.m.o., power is also "attitundinal" a mental disposition towards singing that way. but you can easily overdo it too. resonance is way better than sheer volume...per se. send me a live link...

oh, one more thing...singing in and around your break ...e4 through g4 can require more dexterity and can be more vocally challenging than those real high metal notes

Well thanks VIDEOHERE, I really appreciate your help! I know what you mean about those notes! They are killer, I have trouble singing in that area in middle voice, and what I think is head voice sounds super weak, so it's quite a challenge. All right, here is a link to the voice that I was talking about. It feels more connected to the rest of my voice, but is extremely limited in volume, in the clip that is basically my maximum volume. Another extremely frustrating thing is that this ugly buzzing occurs in the E4-A4 region, and then goes away as I go further up:

http://www.box.net/shared/kpo88xfi7x

Thanks!

john, all i can say is practise...don't try to force your way up. go back to the siren i liked.

that was not an "ng" siren.... go back and listen to yourself.....you were using other sounds than "nnnnnnnnnnnn"..no good "nnnnnn" (remember pinch your nose and the sound is impossble to make..it will shut off completely!) stay focused on "ng."

all the elements have to be there..warm up, open throat, support (yes, even for soft sounds) tongue check gotta work it out. if you siren properly, you simply cannot be in falsetto. try to forget about falsetto for now..

blending the chest voice with the head voice (like a g4) takes time and patience...you simply may not have the coordination ands strength yet......be patient!

i prefer not to recommend any particular program, sorry.

All right VIDEOHERE, here's an "ng" siren, I don't mean that I'm interested in using falsetto lol the reason I keep bringing it up is when I tried the more open sound I was curious whether it was falsetto, but now I get it. The clip:

It feels super breathy though, and when I tried to make it clearer, it is horrifically unstable.

Oh, well that's all right, maybe I should just start with a teacher.

Thanks!

All right VIDEOHERE, here's an "ng" siren, I don't mean that I'm interested in using falsetto lol the reason I keep bringing it up is when I tried the more open sound I was curious whether it was falsetto, but now I get it. The clip:

It feels super breathy though, and when I tried to make it clearer, it is horrifically unstable.

Oh, well that's all right, maybe I should just start with a teacher.

Thanks!

it's unstable probably because you lost your support and you need to adduct your folds and that requires time to develop.

that was a nice siren....maybe when it gets over to me it changes cause i cannot hear an "nnnnn" sound. but you must know because you're there.

john, empower yourself. you can siren and launch a seriously powerful head tone if you remember these basic requisites:

support the tone

don't slam the folds, but adduct the folds

add laryngeal lean and thicken the tone (add crying sound to the tone)

tune the vowel to maximize resonance

but above all be patient...you have to condition muscles, build memory, relax tension, tune your resonators (this one is per your particular voice) all this takes time!!! okay buddy?

Hey VIDEOHERE, I tried again, this time I started on the letter N instead of using "sing" or "hung", otherwise I seem to do a kind of "m", as you have mentioned:

http://www.box.net/shared/2m0aem9kt2

Thanks for the suggestions, I played around with the vowel tuning, seeing how changing them slightly would make my head buzz like crazy. I have a question though, about the "crying sound". When I tried to do this, I ended up having a thinner tone rather than a thicker one, I think I might not understand how exactly to produce this crying sound. I understand this all will take a while, I am willing to put the time in :)

Oh, one last question. I found that my tone became more an more falsetto-like as I descended. For example, E4 sounds completely like falsetto, but E5 sounds more solid. Did you encounter this same issue?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hey VIDEOHERE, I tried again, this time I started on the letter N instead of using "sing" or "hung", otherwise I seem to do a kind of "m", as you have mentioned:

http://www.box.net/shared/2m0aem9kt2

Thanks for the suggestions, I played around with the vowel tuning, seeing how changing them slightly would make my head buzz like crazy. I have a question though, about the "crying sound". When I tried to do this, I ended up having a thinner tone rather than a thicker one, I think I might not understand how exactly to produce this crying sound. I understand this all will take a while, I am willing to put the time in :)

Oh, one last question. I found that my tone became more an more falsetto-like as I descended. For example, E4 sounds completely like falsetto, but E5 sounds more solid. Did you encounter this same issue?

Thanks a lot for your help!

john, unless you wanted to, you modify away from just singing "nnnnnn."

try it just staying on the "nnn" don't change at all... try it with a little more not caring about the specific notes just up and down and up and down freely like an ambulance siren...stay with "nnnnn"

Hey VIDEOHERE, I tried it again, relaxed like you said, just hitting random notes, nothing specific, I even started over a few times, here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/ofvo8x8z6q

I don't think I can make an "N"er sound than that. But I tried closing my nose several times, and all sound would stop when making sirens.

Also, I am really curious how to make this crying sound in head voice, I would like to add this thickness you mentioned.

Thanks!

Hey VIDEOHERE, I tried it again, relaxed like you said, just hitting random notes, nothing specific, I even started over a few times, here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/ofvo8x8z6q

I don't think I can make an "N"er sound than that. But I tried closing my nose several times, and all sound would stop when making sirens.

Also, I am really curious how to make this crying sound in head voice, I would like to add this thickness you mentioned.

Thanks!

imitate a baby crying or a child pouting.....

http://www.vocalpower.co.uk/Videos.php

there's a video on tony's site..in fact view each one.... they're great.

Well, you had said that the "cry" allows to add fullness to head voice, right?

I am just interested in understanding how to eliminate the breathiness/girliness of this upper voice.

If you have any other tips, I would be grateful!

Thanks!

Well, you had said that the "cry" allows to add fullness to head voice, right?

I am just interested in understanding how to eliminate the breathiness/girliness of this upper voice.

If you have any other tips, I would be grateful!

Thanks!

john,

exercise the entire voice. at your stage of development you cannot afford to spot train. as you become stronger, this ability will develop. but you have to start at the beginning my friend.