Can baritones get tenor notes?

Etchy

Hey, I was just wondering if it's possible for a baritone to get the really high notes that tenors are supposed to get. I pretty much have the range of vocalists like M. Shadows and Benjamin Burnley but I wonder if by practice I could someday sing like maybe the guy from Steelheart or Zack Stevens from Savatage?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? I never knew about that, It's just that I've been practicing these high notes and I still can't get them right while other friends of mine have em with no real effort or practice so I thought maybe I just can't get them

You can. Well maybe you can't have G7, but there is no reason not to be able to get to the 5th octave. Not everyone starts with the same instrument, and not everyone progresses at the same pace, but everyone can reach those highs, given the time and training. Remember not to strain and be playful with your voice.

i think my friend marcus soons gonna upload some new songs check them out, he couldnt utter a note above E4 when he started and at max squeak out a C5 in a breathy falsetto. he is a fairly deep baritone but now he can sing higher than many tenors :P

You can. Well maybe you can't have G7, but there is no reason not to be able to get to the 5th octave. Not everyone starts with the same instrument, and not everyone progresses at the same pace, but everyone can reach those highs, given the time and training. Remember not to strain and be playful with your voice.

excellent post ronron....time, training, and patience

when you do your daily workouts, set your mind to reach just a little bit more each day..as you hear and more importantly feel yourself topping out on a note, just give it a little bit more without straining and in time what was once a note you'd pay someone to reach, has become sure and solid.

when you do your daily workouts, set your mind to reach just a little bit more each day..as you hear and more importantly feel yourself topping out on a note, just give it a little bit more without straining and in time what was once a note you'd pay someone to reach, has become sure and solid.

So you're saying i should set like small goals to achieve in my daily workouts so i can feel myself progressing. Great tip. I've been feeling my range grow since I started singing but I feel like I've hit a bump and that my range isn't growing anymore that's why I posted this...Maybe I need to train the higher ranges a little bit more.

train the full range because the lower helps build the upper...a plateau is inevitable. as long you're not straining or constricting muscles, you're phonating with a relaxed, open throat, and are exercising the voice each night to the point of failure (again, not straining, no clutching) gradually over time you will improve. the key is consistency and patience. get yourself to a point where the vocal folds are free to change pitch, without calling into play any constrictor muscles like the throat, the tongue etc. study dvd's, cd's, some upper notes usually require a vowel modification.

what note are you topping out on?

wow! are you sure you've got the right notes...not a4 and b4?

I'm not really sure actually :S If you listen to the kinda vocalists like Chris Daughtry, Benjamin Burnley..etc. I go as high as they go but nothing past that....By any chance did that help?!:D

I'm not really sure actually :S If you listen to the kinda vocalists like Chris Daughtry, Benjamin Burnley..etc. I go as high as they go but nothing past that....By any chance did that help?!:D

here's a piano for you.

i was like you once...had no clue how to read notes...lol!!!!

http://www.thevirtualpiano.com/

now, the 7th and 8th notes from the right are called the "b4" or b natural and the "c5" or the tenor high c.

to hit these notes with pitch, tone and intensity just starting out is no easy feat....several things have to be in order to consistently nail these and hold these in full voice.

are you able to hit these? can you send over a sample? i don't want you to be mislead. right now i thought you'd be at the e4 - g4 stumbling block....the 12th note from the right is e4.

Ok I'm definitely not hitting A5! :D So I'm good up till the B4 and after that It's a bit shaky so I'm probably talking about the e4 stumbling block you mentioned.

Ok I'm definitely not hitting A5! :D So I'm good up till the B4 and after that It's a bit shaky so I'm probably talking about the e4 stumbling block you mentioned.

this is a transition point for many singers.

• Administrator

Hey, I was just wondering if it's possible for a baritone to get the really high notes that tenors are supposed to get. I pretty much have the range of vocalists like M. Shadows and Benjamin Burnley but I wonder if by practice I could someday sing like maybe the guy from Steelheart or Zack Stevens from Savatage?

Yes, Im living proof. At the University, I sang lyric Baritone art songs. With my techniques, I can sing tenor parts and far beyond.

Yeah.. there's a world of difference between a C5 sung with full resonance, and a reedy, shrill, effect laden one. lmao.. And... fwiw pav's upper voice technique wasn't all that... great artist, beloved by millions, but.. technically he's a glorified crooner...

Enjoy Pav's artistry and passion, but don't look to him to be the end all be all technician.. for that... you need someone like Bjorling...

Ingemisco.. showing Bjorling's complete mastery of voice.. one voice throughout his entire range..

hey russ, we can all apprecaite your posts and intensity, but can't you find a way to sugarcoat your replies a little more? you really could offend some people on the forum....

etchy, pavarotti toped out at c5 but those were some incredible c5's. you see there's a world of difference between a falsetto c5 and a full voiced c5....it would help you to understand why.

Bob, just a small clarification. C5 was not the top of Pavarotti's performance range. Listen to his live recording of 'Credeasi Misera' for a nice Db5. I will look around to see if he recording anything else higher, other than the recording of that same aria with the F5 not quite as well done.

A baritone with a nice A4 is a thing of envy.. not just amongst other baritones, but among tenors too...

Having a strong A4 opens up a lot of rep...

in the grand scheme of things... most tenor rep tops out around an A4-Bb4.... there's a reason the B4 and C5 are known as 'money notes' for tenors.

If you have a decent A4, or even a G4.... I'd seriously consider looking into classical music... there's a whole lot of rep you could perform...

Well actually I really like my range and the tone of my voice cause it's similar to many artists I love...but It's always better to improve myself so that's why I was asking about this. It's always better to explore my full capabilities. :)

etchy, pavarotti toped out at c5 but those were some incredible c5's. you see there's a world of difference between a falsetto c5 and a full voiced c5....it would help you to understand why.

I know the difference between falsetto and head voice...I can sing high in falsetto but I didn't really consider that as hitting the note that's why I was asking if notes like that are achievable for me in a full voice.

Archived