Two new songs

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hey guys!

Two of my old bandmates have a prog metal project and wrote a song each that they wanted me to lay down some vocals on (I'm back home in Sweden temporarily). All lyrics by Kristoffer Granskog. I wrote my own vocal melodies and all the choir harmonies (I'm singing everything). Tell me what you think, and if there's some room for improvement!

"Archer of Despair" is written by Kristoffer Granskog,

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/28278610/Dimensional_Transcendence_Experience_-_Archer_of_Despair.mp3

"Solar Flair" is written by Erik Hedström.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/28278695/Dimensional_Transcendence_Experience_-_Solar_Flare.mp3

Cheers!

I just really enjoyed listening to that, Marcus! I like the sound of your voice and you've progressed a ton. Every now and then, I think I hear a hint of nasality, which yawn/dopy config could fix, but I've had that problem myself every now and then. But it sounds like you're confident when you're singing now, which is such a big plus. Congrats!

Thanks for all the nice comments! :D I'll try to think more about avoiding nasality, thanks Jon!

On the mixing part I'm using mainly iZotope Ozone 4 for compression on all tracks (including master track), and reverb and eq from Cubase 5.

Ozone 4 is great sounding and does wonders. But aside from Ozone, the frequency balance is very good and the Kick / Bass sounds good. And the guitars are right up front where they should be. Drums are really killing. And your vocals lay on top of those very intricate instrumental parts very nicely. Are you guys working to a midi click?

Thanks man! :D Usually I work with midi click to lay guitar, and then I program drums and re-record guitars properly. I seldom have oportunity to record live drums, partly because it's a bigger project to record drums and partly because I seldom have a drummer to work with (the ones in my town either wanna play jazz or death metal). What I'm using in these songs is EZdrummer, I think it sounds well and it's easy to work with.

The highest compliment I can think of ... it's sounds like something I would hear on the radio, in a set with RUSH, Dream Theater, and Queensryche.

So, why are you still hiding out on a cruise ship, other than for a regular paycheck?

Wow, thanks ronws! :D

I have 4 months of work in Bulgaria at a hotel, starting this thursday. But after that I'd like to do something else, and I really miss singing in a metal band. So if I can find a band that play the music I like that would ofcourse be a dream come true. Singing your own material kind of adds another dimension to performing, in my opinion. In my last band we had such trouble finding a drummer, so we could never take any gigs during the time I was in the band.

Ah, the endless struggle. Finding musicians that "get it" in what you are trying to do.

One of the things I envy about Europe. Respect for things that are good, regardless age. In America, always searching for the novelty, Lady Gaga is the rage. But in Europe, Asia, and South America, solid rock is still valued.

Don't get me wrong, I like new stuff, if it is done well. But not at the expense of established styles that still have something to offer. Then again, I listen with melody and intent, foremost. That is why I still like, in rap, Tone Loc over many others. And he wasn't even a trained singer. But he had the "feel," the emotion.

Anyway, good luck. Which will come your way. Of all of us, you are one of the few actual working performers and have loads of performing experience that most people just pontificate upon.

The highest compliment I can think of ... it's sounds like something I would hear on the radio, in a set with RUSH, Dream Theater, and Queensryche.

So, why are you still hiding out on a cruise ship, other than for a regular paycheck?

Yeah, why would Marcus be always hanging on a cruise ship and beaches in warm countries with 99% female crew and singers? You should go back to a metal garage band where there's loud drums and sweaty male armpit smell. *Sarcasm off*

Archived