Pharyngeal voice

D.Starr

Could I use this are to hit notes at G4 and above?

Or would developing Curbing produce a better sound?

I was playing with NG on a song and found it alot easier, which I guess it is. I can siren pretty high with NG, but I can't hit G4 singing.

I was playing with NG on a song and found it alot easier, which I guess it is. I can siren pretty high with NG, but I can't hit G4 singing.

yes, the g4! especially depending on the word, and the notes that lead up to it, g4 is not an easy note to hold & "control." notes that hover around your break area e4 to g4, for example can be more difficult at times than those super high notes. simply put, the folds need help to adduct and stay adducted on one hand, and yet thin on the other. if you aren't in control of the coordination the note cracks or defaults to falsetto and the folds disengage.

that where scales and arpeggios help.

Using a purely pharengeal voice for G4, if we're both using the same term for the same thing, will probably sound a bit thin. Even if you drop your larynx a bit. Adding a bit of cry can help to thicken it up. But sometimes it sounds very cool to have a bit of a "piercing" sound to your voice. Note that using pharengeal voice or a very twangy sound on G4 and notes close by can be very helpful for singers to get accustomed to singing high notes. So you could try to start off with that sound and later see if you can put more "beef" into the sound. Actually, you can often just get more beef by simply THINKING "more beef". Or "where's the beef?" or whatever works for you.

• Administrator

Well, your talk track is a bit confused which is hampering your understanding, but the answer is both, with laryngeal dumping. Your missing something here in your understanding of what needs to be done. Its not just about fold closure and "twang-like" vocal modes... you have to think about your sound in terms of the formant... or the shaping the resonant space. Pharyngeal or twanging in the head voice with no formant shaped around it is just a duck in the head voice.

You have to lock and load your vocal mode and then phonate inside of the proper formant... I highly advise you to learn how to increase your pharyngeal resonant space with laryngeal dumping.

Also, I think if you want more metal or more of a rounded sound is totally a creative choice.

Robert, is laryngeal dumping the same as lowering the larynx (and therefore the way to increase laryngeal resonance) ?

And by simultaneously narrowing the aryepiglottic region, do we get the singer's formant ?

Thanks in advance,

Thanos

hey I've been wondering something similiar, nice to know I'm not losing my mind.... On "Slave to the Grind" the high notes are much easier than the entrance to the song (hell yea yea) and the "you got me forced to crack my lids in to"..-- all the way to -- "just another gear in the assembly line - oh no".

okay on this video it sounds more like "yea yea yea", that may help..;)

was thinking i was doing my onset, "lift up and pull back" wrong on the beginning, and I may be, but am working on it, and working on keeping the 1st part in chest...but I am using what i think is twang to do the high stuff ;) and having so much FUN with that!!! :)

wish i could send a clip, got working copies on my portable digital recorder, but cant download them...:(

dont have my keyboard set up again (yet), so i have no idea "where" the lower notes are....

I had a great practise session today with using almost no vocal weight at all, until the very end. Just twang and almost nothing else, except maybe hold/cord compression. Singing your favorite songs with a a very light voice can be a great way to make your voice relax and not tense up before you add a bit of meat later on - if you even want that. Sometimes you just don't.

I had a great practise session today with using almost no vocal weight at all, until the very end. Just twang and almost nothing else, except maybe hold/cord compression. Singing your favorite songs with a a very light voice can be a great way to make your voice relax and not tense up before you add a bit of meat later on - if you even want that. Sometimes you just don't.

jonpall, which songs were lightened?

im loving that i can hit those high notes, could not have done that before learning about twang? without absolutely tearing up my voice..:) and so now i want to add the meat. Sound like a very angry metal minnie mouse when singing STTG. i haaaaate that....its gud on the high stuff, but the inbetween..? ick, need meat. ....very much aware today that my larynx rises when twanging those high notes...wonder if i relax my larynx for the mid range stuff if that will increase the boom, bark, meat etc...? will give it a shot later today?? i haaaate that i cant post a clip, seriously....

Cry can give meat, Rychemaiden.

Bob, the songs I was practising were Faithfully by Journey and Cryin' by Aerosmith. One song for clean vocals, one for rasp. Both for tenor stuff, although my best singing is probably in the middle range.

Thanks jonpall...will do some research into "cry" now ! ;) other than to make your voice sound like a baby, etc ;)

would "You make me weep" etc..in "loving touching squeezing" by Journey an example of using "cry" by the way?

Thanks jonpall...will do some research into "cry" now ! ;) other than to make your voice sound like a baby, etc ;)

would "You make me weep" etc..in "loving touching squeezing" by Journey an example of using "cry" by the way?

i do that song..on the beginning part i use a little twang...

im loving that i can hit those high notes, could not have done that before learning about twang? without absolutely tearing up my voice..:) and so now i want to add the meat. Sound like a very angry metal minnie mouse when singing STTG. i haaaaate that....its gud on the high stuff, but the inbetween..? ick, need meat. ....very much aware today that my larynx rises when twanging those high notes...wonder if i relax my larynx for the mid range stuff if that will increase the boom, bark, meat etc...? will give it a shot later today?? i haaaate that i cant post a clip, seriously....

"meat" a love meat in the voice...but it takes some "proper" effort.

The note should reside in the head. Anything lower is straining the throat and most likely, the larynx. "Rasp" or attitude is mostly a feel and each and every voice is different. It's called nDNA (nuclear DNA.) It's why dogs are the way they are. It's why humans are the way they are. Forever, amen, (crossing myself, even though I am not catholic.)

Archived