*Truly* underrated singers...

Validar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always like Mark Farner as a vocalist - he came to rock from the R&B side.

How about Gino Vannelli? This ballad that he recorded when he was 23 shows his amazing vocal technique.

I've always like Mark Farner as a vocalist - he came to rock from the R&B side.

How about Gino Vannelli? This ballad that he recorded when he was 23 shows his amazing vocal technique.

I was reading thru this thread to see if anyone mentioned Gino, before I posted :)

He is my very favourite vocalist. Ever. Always. He is truly a master of singing, songwriting,

and if you listen to Dea Speranza. you will know:

Thanks for mentioning him, Guitartrek :) you made my morning! ♥

Saw Gino live in the early 90's in a rock bar...actually I was working as a waitress that night on the dance floor. He was AWESOME!! :) I have to mention Ann Wilson of Heart. She and the band Heart have not gotten the recognition they deserve in my humble opinion. Still waiting for them to be inducted in the Rock Hall of Fame. ......

Saw Gino live in the early 90's in a rock bar...actually I was working as a waitress that night on the dance floor. He was AWESOME!! :) I have to mention Ann Wilson of Heart. She and the band Heart have not gotten the recognition they deserve in my humble opinion. Still waiting for them to be inducted in the Rock Hall of Fame. ......

Oh you lucky lady! Ann is awesome, too...what a great voice.

I have to mention Ann Wilson of Heart. She and the band Heart have not gotten the recognition they deserve in my humble opinion. Still waiting for them to be inducted in the Rock Hall of Fame. ......

I agree about the Hall of Fame, but Ann Wilson underrated? She's one of the very first mentioned when talk of female singers occurs. She may very well be the official female rock singer measuring stick, actually.

Damn, I can't check these videos out. I'm having sound card problems.

now, i'm not saying i'm right, and she no question has a great voice, but when you're a 50's baby like me, a gal that sings this aggressively is a little offputting to me.

but i'm the same guy who can't accept female police officers..it's the way i was conditioned growing up. maybe if i heard a sweet ballad, it would diffuse the barrier in my mind.

i love women, but i also love their femininity....it's very important to me to see evidence of that. this gal is a little too masquline a vocalist for me.

ann wilson sang aggressive, but there was an underlying core of femininity to her. guess it's just me...a little old school i guess....lol!!!

Did I mention she's Lou Gramm's current favorite singer?

hahaha. I'm messing with you. :lol:

Believe it or not, when I was younger, I really didn't like female singers in general. Not just rock. There were exceptions, but for the most part, they just didn't grab me.

I haven't heard all of Halestorm's album, but I would like to think there's at least a few songs with some sweetness in the vocal tone. A ballad or two, perhaps.

Did I mention she's Lou Gramm's current favorite singer?

hahaha. I'm messing with you. :lol:

Believe it or not, when I was younger, I really didn't like female singers in general. Not just rock. There were exceptions, but for the most part, they just didn't grab me.

I haven't heard all of Halestorm's album, but I would like to think there's at least a few songs with some sweetness in the vocal tone. A ballad or two, perhaps.

i looked on youtube for a slow song and didn't find it.....

I checked out a preview of the entire album, and there's only one track that would be classified as a "ballad" per se. Her voice is a bit less husky and abrasive on it, but the song itself isn't terribly memorable.

I checked out a preview of the entire album, and there's only one track that would be classified as a "ballad" per se. Her voice is a bit less husky and abrasive on it, but the song itself isn't terribly memorable.

lara fabian is the one who really throws me for a loop...lol!!!

she's got it all...i.m.h.o.

I have a list for this thread :)

Mark (now Marcie) Free (King Kobra, Signal, Unruly Child) easily one of the best rock vocalists of the genre, George Criston (Kick Axe) incredible control of middle voice AND falsetto;current vocal coach to Avril Lavigne and others, Rik Emmett from Triumph, Dave Meneketti from Y&T and Jack Russell from Great White.

Hope this stirs a few memories :)

Tony

I had never heard of Lara Fabian, but I went and checked out some videos. Damn, she is dreamy.

Great picks, vocalpower. I heard about the singer from King Cobra from Carmine Appice. Carmine had arranged a meeting between himself and "Mark" to discuss a King Cobra reunion. Much to Carmine's surprise, "Marcie" showed up.

Rik Emmett is another good one. Underrated singer and guitar player.

Jack Russell has been flawless every time I've seen Great White live. I think a lot of people dismiss him for sounding like Robert Plant, though, which I've always been able to overlook, myself.

I have a list for this thread :)

Mark (now Marcie) Free (King Kobra, Signal, Unruly Child) easily one of the best rock vocalists of the genre, George Criston (Kick Axe) incredible control of middle voice AND falsetto;current vocal coach to Avril Lavigne and others, Rik Emmett from Triumph, Dave Meneketti from Y&T and Jack Russell from Great White.

Hope this stirs a few memories :)

Tony

i love those choices too tony...i used to love signal!!! (all of these guys have that "powerline" i love)

here's one from the r&b ranks, a one hit wonder (bobby caldwell) and another powerhouse kinda unknown (paul ...lol!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laStiu_sUd4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIK5F4zRN0Y

I only knew of one Gino Vannelli song (I Just Wanna Stop) before the clips posted here, but yes, that was some amazing stuff posted.

Nice clip from Bobby Caldwell, too. Very soulful. And the "How Long" song I've known of for ages, but didn't know who it was until now.

I only knew of one Gino Vannelli song (I Just Wanna Stop) before the clips posted here, but yes, that was some amazing stuff posted.

Nice clip from Bobby Caldwell, too. Very soulful. And the "How Long" song I've known of for ages, but didn't know who it was until now.

bobby caldwell...around 2:12 on he goes behind the keyboard and sings this "what you won't doooooooooooooooooo roll he gets on the "do" was so awesome. i love that type type of stuff....lol!!!

Jack Russell has been flawless every time I've seen Great White live. I think a lot of people dismiss him for sounding like Robert Plant, though, which I've always been able to overlook, myself.

I first heard Jack Russell when he was with Stone Fury and they really capitalized on his similarity in tone to Plant with a song that was nearly a rip-off of "Cashmere."

His own sound developed with Great White. Though they would still throw in a performance of "Babe, I'm gonna leave you" just because they could.

I was reading thru this thread to see if anyone mentioned Gino, before I posted :)

He is my very favourite vocalist. Ever. Always. He is truly a master of singing, songwriting,

and if you listen to Dea Speranza. you will know:

Thanks for mentioning him, Guitartrek :) you made my morning! ♥

I missed your post initially! Yeah - he had a HUGE impact on me when I was growing up. I love Dea Speranza and wanted to post it but couldn't find it before on youtube. Thanks for posting this!

• Administrator

ok, cool.

Ray Alder from Fates Warning

Jon Arch - "A Twist of Fate"

Grahamm Bonnet - Solo stuff & Alcatraz

Ray Gillan

Freddy Curcci - "Sheriff" , also a member of TMV

Mike Reno - Loverboy

The Singer from the band Candlemass , dont remember his name.. REALLY good.

Steve Grimmett from Grim Reaper

Lizzy Borden

Peter Murphy - listen to the "deep" album

To name a few...

Archived