Reducing dopy sound

Rate this topic

devaitis

Here I sang fragment of Cryin' by Aerosmith. Tried to minimize dopy sound.

Im sorry for the lack of music inside this clip. I have never been covered Tylers. Its not my cup of tea.

http://www.box.net/shared/8et6r5npix

That sounds good - nice distortion on the high note. This issue is something I'm working on too and it is not easy as I am not an expert. I'm using Tamplin's suggestion of keeping the front of the mouth bright - Raising the lips (to expose the teeth) on certain vowels, and shaping the tongue (low on "ah") in the front. Good luck.

Cool. I think I have found part of your problem - you sing too much Oh vowels. F.ex. the word "crying" sounded like it had the Oh (as in "so") vowel rather than Uh. So it sounded like "cr-Oh-ing" and should have been more like "cr-Uh-I-n". Btw. don't sing a 100% pure Uh vowel but rather MODIFY towards it. So, when practising this, start with a 100% pure Uh vowel and then modify SLIGHTLY towards the "written" vowel (in this case it would be the same vowel as in the word "nice", which is actually a dipthong. If I'm confusing you, let me know). This goes for all vowel modifications.

The Oh tends to lower the larynx and make the sound more dopy. Therefore, there were SOME words (like "crying") in that clip that sounded too dopy but others not.

Mmh... I can't hear this alleged OH vowel, JP...

On "crying," I'm hearing an UH and some more curbing. Which is good! We're talking about easy production and resonance here, right? You've got that in spades. Like I said in the other post, get used to this sound before you try to change it. Then, if you have problems later, you can always return to this strong, resonant sound and start experimenting again.

I love how you sound, though. I wouldn't try to change that unless you, personally, want to change it.