Any help is appreciated

Rate this topic

Hello,

I would appreciate a critique of the vocals that I have listed on my MySpace page at http://www.myspace.com/woodwesternmusic. I have had no vocal training, but I'm sure it is never too late to start. I uploaded one song on my TMV profile, and will try to put up a couple more.

I am having a little trouble with a dry throat/voice, and a tickle that turns into a cough sometimes when I sing. Once it starts I cannot sing around it...A slight rest and a drink of water will usually help, but you can't really do that in the middle of a song. Any idea what is causing it or what I can do to alleviate it? It caused a disaster at a live show a couple of weeks ago, and I would like to prevent it from happening again!

Thank you.

Nice song. I have a dry throat problem, too, and I just clear it onstage, but I always hold the mic so I can pull it away and it won't be heard. This, however, is far from the best solution. YOu probably know that you should always be drinking water, but also, if you drink Throat Coat tea before a performance, you'll feel a lot less dry on stage. Also, sucking on a peppermint before or during breaks helps to keep you open/not so dry, too.

Thank you. I wonder sometimes if it could be performance anxiety related?

I am thinking I probably should have posted this under the "Vocal Health" heading. Oops.

I think you have a lovely tone to your voice lwood, I really enjoyed listening to your songs - I thought the last two were really cute! Sorry though, I'm not able to critique your voice like an expert would :)

About your dry throat, I can only suggest that you drink lots of water during the day (every day) to make sure your whole body is hydrated (which you probably do - don't mean to teach grandma how to suck eggs! Not that I'm saying you're a grandma....obviously...just an expression) I've just noticed Daniellehmusic has just said that too - oooops!!!!. Also acid reflux can cause inflamation and irritation and might be worth investigating. Stacey :D

Thanks, Stacey. The last two were my daughter! :lol: She is seven. I need to set her up her own page. She is the one that I really need to get a critique on, and some voice lessons for. I would like to get her started off right!

I try to stay hydrated, and I will be fine until I am onstage and singing, then all of a sudden the tickle will start. Mortifying! I do have really bad allergies as well. And the allergy medication dries up the sinuses so I don't have to take a box of Kleenex onstage with me, but I think it makes the dryness worse. Problems, problems. And I do have stage fright pretty bad. I keep it under control fairly well so it is not crippling, but I think it still affects things. I never get the tickle when I am just practicing at home.

Would agree with the nerves. Best remedy(for me) is a whole lotta live performance. I perform quite often on a weekly basis...and gotta say that I would almost KILL to have some nervousness/excitement before a gig(dry throat not included.) Unfortunately, it's just a job these days(sing in top 40/dance bands.)

I have same problem w/ allergies...and find that mucinex works great for me. And of course...water.

HI there, I like your voice and the music. The problem for me is the melodies are predictable and the charactor stays the same through out. I think if you felt a bit more relaxed, you may animate the songs and make them better as well as relaxing a bit more.

I recommend a solid 15 minutes of vocal warm up. if you do not have a vocal warm up email me privately and I will give you the passcode to a excellent 15 minute warm up routiune. http://www.vamacoustics.com/vamexercises.html

Byron