Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy

Rate this topic

IM planning to buy this course. do you guys recommend it? I would like to hear a comprehensive review of the course if anyone can

I serious about training my voice. I did SS And Mastering mix for about 4 months but I realized it's not really what I wanted.

I got clearer tone better range with the program but It's not suitable for singing rock songs like Dont wanna miss a thing, born in the USA, you've got another thing coming and heavier and rockier side of music. So what are your thoughts guys? should I or should I not get the course?

Geno (guitartrek) follows the KTVA program. You might check some of his submissions in the critique section, though your milage may vary. No two people sound alike, even studying the same system.

You might also check out some of Ken's sample tracks, which I think are available at his website and, I think, on youtube.

I've been doing the KTVA program since January 2010 and am now on Stage 3. I think it is a very effective program if you want to increase your range learning how to sing high in a full voice. Increasing your vocal range and control is like learning a sport and Ken teaches that way. The program consists of vocal workouts. If you follow his instructions the results will come gradually, but rapidly. You've got to put in the time to get through his daily practice routine, but if you do it is virtually guaranteed that you will improve. You will learn vowel modification that help get you through the passagio area. This is the trickiest part of singing. I've had many classical lessons in my youth from a few really good operatic teachers. I can honestly say I've gained more in less time from Ken's video program. Although I sing primarily rock, I can now sing operatic Tenor arias that I was never able to do before as a result of Ken's program. I wouldn't say that my previous teachers were not good, I think that Ken's workout regimine and his way of explaining vowel modifications are highly effective. With my previous operatic training the top of my range was about Ab4, and to sing that note took tremendous support and power. I can now sing up to C#6 as Ken has shown me how to access my head voice.

Geno

I've been doing the KTVA program since January 2010 and am now on Stage 3. I think it is a very effective program if you want to increase your range learning how to sing high in a full voice. Increasing your vocal range and control is like learning a sport and Ken teaches that way. The program consists of vocal workouts. If you follow his instructions the results will come gradually, but rapidly. You've got to put in the time to get through his daily practice routine, but if you do it is virtually guaranteed that you will improve. You will learn vowel modification that help get you through the passagio area. This is the trickiest part of singing. I've had many classical lessons in my youth from a few really good operatic teachers. I can honestly say I've gained more in less time from Ken's video program. Although I sing primarily rock, I can now sing operatic Tenor arias that I was never able to do before as a result of Ken's program. I wouldn't say that my previous teachers were not good, I think that Ken's workout regimine and his way of explaining vowel modifications are highly effective. With my previous operatic training the top of my range was about Ab4, and to sing that note took tremendous support and power. I can now sing up to C#6 as Ken has shown me how to access my head voice.

Geno

really? wow im gonna buy it. did you try SS? how do you think it fares up with KTVA?

I own all three stages and I'm on Stage 3 as well. I started Stage 1 in February and have been doing vocal exercises daily (until recently because I'm recovering from a cold). He recommends doing the first stage for about a month. Keep in mind that his daily vocal workouts are 40 minutes to an hour long, so make sure that you make the time for it.

I didn't notice an improvement until I got to stage 3 and practiced those exercises for an hour daily for a month. The exercises are for developing your muscles and coordination, so it definitely takes time. If you're a beginner, the DVD's don't explain things very clearly in my opinion. I would suggest a web lesson or emailing Ken if you have any questions.

• Administrator

Ken's a good guy and I support his program... I can also help you. Having visited with Ken on the phone a few times and "talked shop" with him, I discovered that what we do is very similar. Core beliefs and understandings on how to train the voice to sound big and "boomy" in the head voice are pretty much the same.

For all the merits of the SS system, if you want to learn to sound big and full or "boomy" as I like to put it, in the head voice... KTVA, TVS or CVI will get you there one way or another.

I wish you the best.

sorry, but are you a male or female?

Im male man.heheh. I just got the downloads there awesome but some videos won't work. I wonder why. I should probably download them again.

by the way how do you train with this? do you do the dvd? or just the excercises?

When I started his program with Stage 1 it was all video (no audio exercises). I liked that because you could see what he was doing. For example, tt's helpful to remember to exposes your teeth like you are smiling and the "ah" vowel, and the video reminded me to do that. Also the tongue position. When I got Stage 2 and 3 it was the new version where he demonstrates on video and then there are the audio exercises. I do a combination of video and audio exercises. I would recomend starting with the video - there are not many, and then doing the audio. When you get all you can out of the video you can just do the audio exercises exclusively. I've got a laptop and I never use the actual DVD's - all my audio and videos are on the laptop which is more conveinient to me.

When I started his program with Stage 1 it was all video (no audio exercises). I liked that because you could see what he was doing. For example, tt's helpful to remember to exposes your teeth like you are smiling and the "ah" vowel, and the video reminded me to do that. Also the tongue position. When I got Stage 2 and 3 it was the new version where he demonstrates on video and then there are the audio exercises. I do a combination of video and audio exercises. I would recomend starting with the video - there are not many, and then doing the audio. When you get all you can out of the video you can just do the audio exercises exclusively. I've got a laptop and I never use the actual DVD's - all my audio and videos are on the laptop which is more conveinient to me.

Hey, I was wondering with Ken's program, are the workouts daily? How long are the workouts? Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

The workouts allow you to go at your own pace since they are DVD's but like joshual said, "Be sure to master the Stage 1 before moving on to stage 2." Individuals can take anywhere from 3 months to a year or more depending on where they are at with singing. I believe you have a 30 minute web cam consultation as well with Ken so he can watch you sing and give you guidance on some techniques. His site has song demonstrations and singing tips - http://kentamplinvocalacademy.com/. Good luck learning to sing.

folks, your dilligence, consistency, willingness, and motivation to do any of the great programs that are out there will result in gains.

you have to just keep going at it. like joshual and others have said, be patient and do not expect instant results.

also, if you are new to this.... do not attempt to spot train...work on a well rounded program being careful to include some of the more mundane elements.

doing the water drinking

relaxing the muscles

posture and alignment

warming up light and easy