Please review my AC/DC Brian Johnson vocals

Using protools, i removed the vocals from about 30 songs and replaced them with my own.

I'm a rank amateur protools editor, i'm using version 6.9 on an 002 console.

I used hi-pass EQ, compression and reverb... on some songs a little echo.

http://www.youtube.com/user/acdcguyusa

Thanks in advance for your comments.

(see my latest video(s)... posted below)

Hello, Acdcguyusa!

You did a great work here. You need to practise around your passagio, you crack a little there in the beginning of the song. Your high notes seem fine.

Cheers!

You're close to Brian's tone, good job!

I think (could be wrong) if you supported a bit better and you should be good to go.

One thing I'd like to ask you is if you feel any discomfort at all singing in that raspy voice.

Thanos

I really liked it. Very good.

We have in (Poland i mean) one guy who can sing close to Brian.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYkjn1JGMiI&feature=related

Jonpall did great work on AC/DC too.

IMO its very hard to copy that sound. A lot of practise.

No it actually doesn't hurt a bit. I've been doing since the back in black album came out... i was 14 then. So i've got 30 years of practice. Actually hurts my ears more than my throat. (that's a joke)

You're close to Brian's tone, good job!

I think (could be wrong) if you supported a bit better and you should be good to go.

One thing I'd like to ask you is if you feel any discomfort at all singing in that raspy voice.

Thanos

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a lot of air escaping in the sound. You're gonna dry your chords out pretty fast that way, also the sound is lacking the fullness because of the lack of compression. I would suggest holding your breath while you sing, but be careful not to hold it in your throat or you might hurt your chords. Listen to the above audio clip that was posted of back in black. You can really hear the compression in his voice, it's a very solid sound. Yours sounds a bit weak and breathy. The placement sounds right, just lack of compression. :)

Thanks alot for the critique. I do hear what you are talking about... I think however that because I recorded the 30 songs over the course of only a few sessions- approximately 2-3 hours each- the takes that I ended up using were probably the 2nd or 3rd of each song. Yes, I was drinking alot of water by 25 songs in... and I was probably not compressing as you indicate.

Hello, Acdcguyusa!

You did a great work here. You need to practise around your passagio, you crack a little there in the beginning of the song. Your high notes seem fine.

Cheers!

I agree with Olem. I actually really liked this clip and I love that song. Great, great job man! Improve the passagio area and it will be even better, because those parts are ever so slightly shakey. Do you have a backing track for that song you'd like to share?

Do not, under any circumstances, hold your breath. Release the breath and let the tone ring where it will. The vocal folds will take care of the breath pressure. Holding your breath will kill the note and bring singing-killing tension and strain.

Do not, under any circumstances, hold your breath. Release the breath and let the tone ring where it will. The vocal folds will take care of the breath pressure. Holding your breath will kill the note and bring singing-killing tension and strain.

I think I understand...

Does my "shook you all night long" sound stronger? Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

http://www.youtube.com/user/acdcguyusa?feature=mhee#p/u/3/CP8YWihQQvo

I agree with Olem. I actually really liked this clip and I love that song. Great, great job man! Improve the passagio area and it will be even better, because those parts are ever so slightly shakey. Do you have a backing track for that song you'd like to share?

Thanks for your comment...

I used a TASCAM guitar trainer to remove the vocals. (it removes the center channel- solo guitar and not a bad job on vocals!)

Yes- I can proably find the track without any vocals and put it up somewhere. Give me a few days and I'll see what I can do.

Ronws, g0dvollie was talking about holding BACK the breath, not stopping the exhalation completely. But maybe you knew that and still disagree with it? So you don't think holding back the breath in singing is a good idea?

• 2 weeks later...

Ronws, g0dvollie was talking about holding BACK the breath, not stopping the exhalation completely. But maybe you knew that and still disagree with it? So you don't think holding back the breath in singing is a good idea?

The actual act of holding breath will introduce stiffness. But that doesn't mean that I am saying that you release all of your air at once. If your ears are detecting the right volume, mainly by means of resonance, your air pressure will adjust. A high note does not necessarily have more air speed than a low note, but it will have a little more air pressure. Not much, but some.

Archived