Stairway to Heaven (acoustic) cover

Hi!

We recorded this recently, request you to review critically, especially 01:30-4:00 and 07:15 till the end. We'd like to get technical feedback on the voice and also the guitar play.

We intend to form a band later this year, and request for your frank comments! How do we sound together?

Many thanks,

guitarLordz

Excellent recording.

Your timing was a bit off in the beginning but it got better when the drums came in. you were leading the beat by a hair.

I see you chose to sing the ending verses a bit softer. Wise choice. A number of people try to hit it hard and miss. And you can do something I cannot do and I don't know if it's your indian background or not (yes, I picked up the sitar timbres you are using for instrumentation.) But you nailed Plant's end note, which is a 1/4 tone dowm from true pitch. I can't do that. I end up singing the end note higher on a true pitch because that is what I can do. But you got the Plant note and deserve some kudos for that.

I think you've got the jazz feel that Robert Plant has always had for himself. That is, you can sing like Robert Plant without sounding exactly like him. Which is, in my opinion, the proper use of an artist as an influence. I think the world is ready for an indian "Plant."

Your pitch was good and orchestration of instruments was totally pro. This should be a radio-ready recording.

Excellent recording.

Thanks ronws

Your timing was a bit off in the beginning but it got better when the drums came in. you were leading the beat by a hair.

I see you chose to sing the ending verses a bit softer. Wise choice. A number of people try to hit it hard and miss. And you can do something I cannot do and I don't know if it's your indian background or not (yes, I picked up the sitar timbres you are using for instrumentation.) But you nailed Plant's end note, which is a 1/4 tone dowm from true pitch. I can't do that. I end up singing the end note higher on a true pitch because that is what I can do. But you got the Plant note and deserve some kudos for that. .

and i initially thought something was amiss and wanted to record the very last 'stairway to heavennnn' again, but the guitarist wont let me do it:)

yes, i held back since it was an acoustic recording and it would've not been suitable to go all out.

I think you've got the jazz feel that Robert Plant has always had for himself. That is, you can sing like Robert Plant without sounding exactly like him. Which is, in my opinion, the proper use of an artist as an influence. I think the world is ready for an indian "Plant."

Your pitch was good and orchestration of instruments was totally pro. This should be a radio-ready recording.

Many thanks for the encouragement, which i'll convey to the guitarist Sandip as well. We shall be happy to share more of our original content as it is made.

When I talk about the 1/4 tone, I am referring to the verse, "To be a rock and not to roll..." Both you and Plant are able to sing that 1/4 off true pitch which is actually hard to do. I know I can't do it. So, when I sing this, I go higher and hit a true pitch. That way, it sounds better for me and I'm not trying to copy Plant. And I am not saying that you are. I just liked the way you did it and it reminded me of the original recording. In fact, the whole feel of the recording is something I think the original artists would really appreciate. This was not even Plant's favorite song because it was so straight ahead. But the indian curve you put on it would probably make it a better song for him, even. Almost a case of where maybe he and Jimmy might say, "Damn it, I wished I'd thought of that."

But it was hastily recorded in the great hall in Jimmy's castle with what they had on hand. Then, re-mixed later in a studio along with the rest of Led Zeppelin IV, circa 1973.

When I talk about the 1/4 tone, I am referring to the verse, "To be a rock and not to roll..." Both you and Plant are able to sing that 1/4 off true pitch which is actually hard to do. I know I can't do it. So, when I sing this, I go higher and hit a true pitch. That way, it sounds better for me and I'm not trying to copy Plant. And I am not saying that you are. I just liked the way you did it and it reminded me of the original recording. In fact, the whole feel of the recording is something I think the original artists would really appreciate. This was not even Plant's favorite song because it was so straight ahead. But the indian curve you put on it would probably make it a better song for him, even. Almost a case of where maybe he and Jimmy might say, "Damn it, I wished I'd thought of that."

But it was hastily recorded in the great hall in Jimmy's castle with what they had on hand. Then, re-mixed later in a studio along with the rest of Led Zeppelin IV, circa 1973.

Wow, nice to be analysed by pros! I had rehearsed that bit screaming into the pillow with my phone for company the previous night in the hotel;) thankfully it seems to have been OK :)

Indian music especially ghazals and film melodies are a part of daily life and thanks for noticing their influence in our piece.

A big bow to the geniuses Page and Plant!

Wow, nice to be analysed by pros! I had rehearsed that bit screaming into the pillow with my phone for company the previous night in the hotel;) thankfully it seems to have been OK :)

Indian music especially ghazals and film melodies are a part of daily life and thanks for noticing their influence in our piece.

A big bow to the geniuses Page and Plant!

Thanks for the compliment. I am not a professional musician or singer. I have been playing guitar and singing for a really long, long time. But, in my day job, I have been for a couple of decades an electrician (since 1983,) and these days, I manage the office for an electrical company. (Yes, I am older than you may think that I am.)

I think you've got a good groove going and I would like to hear your original stuff, if you get a chance to share it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived