Question about Sirens

Rate this topic

jjm41031

I have a question about doing sirens when vocalizing. I am a beginner that can do up to a male G# before it starts to feel unstable. I can hold it out as long as necessary.

My question is this. How do you progress further up the scale? There are numerous other exercises like Lip Bubbles and Falsetto Slides that I am using to increase range and transcend into a fuller voice up the scale. But how do I get further up the scale using a siren? It is so powerful that I would have to go into head voice which isnt as resonant as the chest right now. Should I do that or should I just stay on the G# for awhile and gradually go up a note in chest over time?

Just trying to get clarification on how sirens are generally used in practice.

Thanks for any support and I appreciate all the great information on this forum.

-- Joe

G# sounds about right. thats where a lot of male singers will start to enter head voice (going from chest to mix/middle to head voice) its exactly where i enter head :)

if you can get up to the G# in a powerful, full voice it could mean about three things: you are have done this by pulling up chest voice/ you have done this with a belt voice/ you have done this with a mixed voice.

the 1st one is bad and you would have to stop what your doing and reassess how to get to where you are. the other two are fine and there are some things you can try to see if it helps you get into a head voice better. it should be pointed out that head voice will never feel as "resonant" as chest voice in terms of the sympathetic vibrations you feel. this doesnt mean that you cant have a full sounding head voice it just means although the sound may not feel massively "resonant" to you in your head, the outside world will hear a very resonant, full sound. also it can take time to coordinate head voice properly so dont sweat it if you cant make a full head voice sound very quickly. if it was easy everybody would be doing it :)

so lets say you siren on a AH going from lowest note upwards:

start out that although your doing the AH (as in father) vowel do it with the shape of OO (as in goo) lips,

as you go up and get closer to the G# change (narrow) the AH vowel more towards UH vowel (as in mother)

do the same thing as above only this time add a slight creaky, moan type sound as you approach the G#

also try

start with the A vowel (as in the word bat) adding twang into the sound (twang being the sound that the singer Ananstacia uses a lot, the quality of the character Janice from the TV series Friends speaks with, or similar to if you make an impression of a duck quacking) as you go higher open your mouth more like as if you were about to take a bite out of a giant apple.

have a go with those and see if it helps :)

Learn/dare to go up into full head.

Its possible to make the head resonate like hell.

This is headvoice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd48HDDv-c0

Matt,

i dont think i will ever produce a head voice like Dio´s due to the fact its not really within my natural ability/voice. im in the lyric/leggiero tenor category so theres no way i can produce those really thick weighty dramatic tenor head tones. i think it would be wrong to say that unless your head voice sounds like that of a dramatic tenor its no good. some voices are just not bulit Dio´s way :P

Just trying to get clarification on how sirens are generally used in practice.

-- Joe

I've found sirens useful for acclimating myself to how my voice should feel and sound in its "whistle" register - and what I did physically to achieve that feel and sound. Then I can reproduce that "what I did physically" when approaching whistle register notes in repertoire.