Singing Novice With A Few Questions :)

Rate this topic

Hello, my name's Dylan and for the last 3 months or so I have been attempting to teach my self how to sing well throughout my range. I can sing in what I perceive to be chest, middle and head registers. Unfortunately I have only been able to access what I think is falsetto in my head register, it's very breathy and light etc.. I have however begun to lightly bridge this with my middle register. I haven't had much success so far bridging my chest register with anything. I'd be very grateful if someone with real world knowledge and experience would answer these questions, as there's nothing I want more than to be able to sing freely across my whole range.

1. I assume chest is to be bridged or connected with what I perceive to be the middle register, then this bridges into head, right? It occurred to me that it might be possible to simply bridge chest with head, forgoing the "middle" area. Is this possible? If so, is it recommended over bridging all three together? Are both ways possible and it's just a matter of preference? I'd really love some clarification about this.

2. What are the tried and true methods for bridging registers together? Are different training techniques employed for the different passaggio areas?

3. Except for maybe (I'm not sure) a stray note here and there, I don't think I've ever been able to fully adduct in my head register, what are the most effective ways of training your head voice cords to properly close? I feel like I've tried a few different "tricks" or exercises, but I'd be very happy if someone would list the most universally successful method(s).

4. Should I make sure chest is bridged/connecting to whatever it should be connected to (Q1) before I do head adduction training? Does it matter?

I apologize if these questions could have been answered by more research, but I have looked over a lot of topics and I'm still craving clear answers.

Thank You :)

For the first month or so I was doing goog/gug/mum etc.. on round scales up and down my range. After this I started focusing more on connecting my middle register to head doing light "ah" up and down, sirens, lip rolls etc.., which as I said I think I've made a little bit of progress on, but my head is light and airy, not adducted. Lately I've been working in edge and pharyngeal stuff like squeaky door and soft grunts but I'm just getting confused about how to make a solid plan that will let me achieve my goals, and I'm constantly worried I'm not doing the right things etc...

For the first month or so I was doing goog/gug/mum etc.. on round scales up and down my range. After this I started focusing more on connecting my middle register to head doing light "ah" up and down, sirens, lip rolls etc.., which as I said I think I've made a little bit of progress on, but my head is light and airy, not adducted. Lately I've been working in edge and pharyngeal stuff like squeaky door and soft grunts but I'm just getting confused about how to make a solid plan that will let me achieve my goals, and I'm constantly worried I'm not doing the right things etc...

i recommend a one-on-one with a teacher..if you can afford it.

I might be able to afford 1 lesson. How should I go about finding a teacher who can actually help me though? Has anyone here who bought the 4 Pillars Program and been in my position achieved their goals without one on one instruction?

The problems you come across when learning by yourself are plenty full.

I've tried multiple teachers in my area and to be honest I was learning more from the CDs I was using so they had a run with my money.

But the downside of JUST learning from a CD by YOURSELF is that you don't really know how your going about it correct or incorrect, plus you have little communication with another person to say whether your doing something wrong or not and how you can correct it.

Loveadventurer,

You have posed 4 valiant questions that the majority of singers are trying to achieve; top marks for knowing what you are after. Definitely focus on the first bridge into middle voice. This cannot be overlooked as the correct transition will unlock the rest of it. ANY air in the voice at higher notes sounds like falsetto; this setup will not help although it can be used for artistic effect. Try to focus on making a crying sound (really whiny if necessary) at the top end of your range but with very little effort.

I agree with Bob's post, try to find a teacher you can connect with.

Kind regards

Tony

but my head is light and airy, not adducted.

So either you :

- Have yet to build the muscle coordination to stay adducted,

- have vocal problems (But you would have mentioned it)

As far as I know, the best way to solve your problem, is this (the ng siren + add some cry) :

Vocalpower is on this forum by the way. (Hey, just the post above, see edit :D)

Edit : LOL 1 hour late. Should stop doing 3 things at the same time :p

Loveadventurer,

You have posed 4 valiant questions that the majority of singers are trying to achieve; top marks for knowing what you are after. Definitely focus on the first bridge into middle voice. This cannot be overlooked as the correct transition will unlock the rest of it. ANY air in the voice at higher notes sounds like falsetto; this setup will not help although it can be used for artistic effect. Try to focus on making a crying sound (really whiny if necessary) at the top end of your range but with very little effort.

I agree with Bob's post, try to find a teacher you can connect with.

Kind regards

Tony

For some reason I'm having a harder time beginning to bridge Chest to Middle vs. Middle to Head. Another weird thing is it's slightly easier for me to begin to bridge Chest/Mid by going bottom up while it's easier for me to try and bridge mid-chest by going top down. Anyways, I would love it if someone could provide exercises/methods they've used to bridge both areas. At this point for me going top to bottom with head/mid is the only remotely smooth bridge i've been able to achieve, and even that has a small break while singing certain things etc... I'm really looking for someone who has gone through this process to give me some pointers, I'd jump through the roof if this happened!

edit: thanks so much for your input Ronron!

You are describing the same problems that most singers face... I certainly did! And still do to some extent. If you post audio clips demonstrating what you're talking about, then people will be able to help you 100x better.

i have gotten myself to a good bridged voice (always room to grow though) if you cannot afford a teacher....i cannot.

what really worked for me, i consider one of the best visual aids and explanations to learn specifically how to bridge was with ken tamplin's dvd. but you cannot afford to go near this dvd, until you get the basics down first...posture, breathing, relaxing, all are requisites.

you have to put in the time.....there really is no easy way...