What's my classification?

Rate this topic

jjm41031

Hi again

Sorry to look like I am double posting. But this is an entirely different question and the online charts aren't helping me to classify my range. I was looking at Baritone, Tenor, etc.

I can easily sing a F#1 all the way up to a G#4 in pure chest voice. This is with speaking any words while singing. I feel like with some training I could probably extend my chest range a little more since I have no training. It lists a Tenor as C3 to G4 before hitting head voice. I can identify with the head voice range. But my range goes down so dang low that I get confused.

Can someone shed some light?

-- Joe

Baritone, Tenor isnt just voice range... You could be everything from a bass to tenor depending on how you sound, there are so many ways of classification and alot of diffrent opinions.

But judgeing only from what you write you come out as a baritone. Send clips so people can hear sure helps alot! It's almost impossible to get anything right before we can listen to you.

Jens is right - voice type is little to do with range. It has more to do with the timbre, the vocal quality, the tessitura, and (often) how and where the registers blend. For example, a tenor singing a high G in what you call 'chest voice' and a bass baritone singing that same high G in chest are both hitting the same note, but the chances are that they will sound entirely different. But a dramatic, heavy-voiced tenor will sound closer to the naturally heavier baritone sound, whereas a lyric baritone will be closer to the tenor sound. A good vocal coach will be able to clue you in within minutes of hearing you.

It also depends on how old you are. For example, if you're a tenor by nature, but you're under (roughly) thirty, your voice is unlikely to be fully matured, and your full compass may not be developed yet.

Unless you're a classical singer having to conform to the traditional voice types for roles, it doesn't matter really what your voice type is called - if a song doesn't work for you in the written key, then change the key!

Going along with Jens again: I'd agree that based purely on what you've written here, if there was a gun to my head I'd take a punt at baritone. But go see (or skype) a great vocal coach to get a proper opinion based on listening to you, as we're clearly just giving you a 'best guess' :-)

Thanks for the insight. It helps a lot. As soon as I can get things set up on my pc I will try and post up some sounds. Also, thanks for the advice about the vocal coach. That is next on the agenda.

-- J

post a clip please...

some of the heavier Tenors like spinto and dramatic can sometimes have a low range > baritones, some baritones can sing just as high or higher then tenor, ...

fach really doesn't matter all that much unless you are going for classical.

Good for you that you have that big of a chest voice range though, I'm really interested to hear if you really are not in fry by F#1 and are really in +- pure chest at G#4, that's an impressive range not many males have in pure chest...