Trying to find a vocal coach.

• TMV World Legacy Member

I like it. I think you come across very sincere, which is very important with this kind of song. IMO you have a decent range for a baritone. The highest notes I heard were E4 (in the chorus) and G4 (before the outro).

I could hear that E3 come out a little difficult. You probably managed to sing it because its right in the middle of a vocal bridge: with training you could probably sing that E3 in chest- as well as headvoice.

I think it would help if you practice singing the scale of F or G major, and focus on how you exactly can transition from chest- to headvoice. I'd suggest you start with the vowel 'Ah'. What I did to get passed that barrier was singing very slowly, so I could really feel how I could make that transition over and over again.

Keep up the good work!

Bruno,

Thank you for the observations! It took awhile to get back to you as I forgot my password, (I thought), when it was atually my user id I was screwing up!

To get myself oriented, where are E4 and G4 relative to middle C on the keyboard? What is the "outro"

Blessings and Balance,

Ernest

I really like the timbre of your voice has nice baritone coloring but not dark or heavy which will help with range as well as other aspects of singing.

If this were a lesson I wouldn't have you work on anything else before I got you to breath and support better especially for the higher notes. There is no reason you couldn't get those higher notes and higher totally comfortably in a matching placement to the rest of the notes if you had a good open breath and solid support. You already have decent legato vowels, crisp consonants, decent meter. You can sing most of the tune without full breaths because its in a pretty easy range but then when there are any intervals that's when the flaws in technique will catch up to ya and they wind up sounding higher than they actually are. I can tell by the timbre of your voice that you have those notes. I have pretty wide range but if I don't take in solid open breaths what are normally easy notes start to get not so easy. It's all about the air. Try this, standing up in front of a mirror without the guitar take a huge breath open breath. In the mirror your mouth should be in the shape of an Ah as in "father" and your abdomen below your belly button should come out. You should feel your whole lower body expand and the air feel like it's going deep down into your gut. As you sing a line pull that abdomen in. Watch in the mirror to make sure its going in consistently. If you are phonating that abdomen is being pulled in, as soon as you stop phonating the abdomen should immediately be released out of movement. Takes most people a little while to get this and longer to make it be automatic. Main thing at this point is to get the feeling of taking in a ton of air so you feel the difference from taking small breaths. So live you may not get a perfect breath but more than you are doing now and enough to have more vibrant overtone on the low notes and make the low notes easier. Normally I'd work with someone 1 on 1 on this so hard to do in a text post but I've never had a student come to me, trained or not who really had a good breath and when I get them taking a real breath it opens up a whole new world of power, tone, range, consistency, etc. But I guarantee if you take in a real open ah breath via your abdomen and support properly those high notes will be as easy as the rest of the tune. Again hard to work on this via a post but try it and post your results. And if ya can find a killer teacher in your area to get into real depth on this stuff. But if they have yo working on ancilary stuff without getting your breathing solid as the foundation of it all, find someone else. That's like worrying about fixing the winshield wipers in a car with a cracked engine block. Like my analogies? hehe.

D

http://www.daveblairmusic.com/

http://www.daveblairmusic.com

I agree with others that you have a nice voice. I think you got some good advice on your breath control for the higher notes. Keep on playing and singing as you guys so good together.

Bud

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks SO MUCH Dave!!

I will be working on this right away and will let you know how this works.

It should also help with my flute and sax playing no?

Blessings and Balance,

Ernest

http://www.ernestwhaleymusic.com

I really like the timbre of your voice has nice baritone coloring but not dark or heavy which will help with range as well as other aspects of singing.

If this were a lesson I wouldn't have you work on anything else before I got you to breath and support better especially for the higher notes. There is no reason you couldn't get those higher notes and higher totally comfortably in a matching placement to the rest of the notes if you had a good open breath and solid support. You already have decent legato vowels, crisp consonants, decent meter. You can sing most of the tune without full breaths because its in a pretty easy range but then when there are any intervals that's when the flaws in technique will catch up to ya and they wind up sounding higher than they actually are. I can tell by the timbre of your voice that you have those notes. I have pretty wide range but if I don't take in solid open breaths what are normally easy notes start to get not so easy. It's all about the air. Try this, standing up in front of a mirror without the guitar take a huge breath open breath. In the mirror your mouth should be in the shape of an Ah as in "father" and your abdomen below your belly button should come out. You should feel your whole lower body expand and the air feel like it's going deep down into your gut. As you sing a line pull that abdomen in. Watch in the mirror to make sure its going in consistently. If you are phonating that abdomen is being pulled in, as soon as you stop phonating the abdomen should immediately be released out of movement. Takes most people a little while to get this and longer to make it be automatic. Main thing at this point is to get the feeling of taking in a ton of air so you feel the difference from taking small breaths. So live you may not get a perfect breath but more than you are doing now and enough to have more vibrant overtone on the low notes and make the low notes easier. Normally I'd work with someone 1 on 1 on this so hard to do in a text post but I've never had a student come to me, trained or not who really had a good breath and when I get them taking a real breath it opens up a whole new world of power, tone, range, consistency, etc. But I guarantee if you take in a real open ah breath via your abdomen and support properly those high notes will be as easy as the rest of the tune. Again hard to work on this via a post but try it and post your results. And if ya can find a killer teacher in your area to get into real depth on this stuff. But if they have yo working on ancilary stuff without getting your breathing solid as the foundation of it all, find someone else. That's like worrying about fixing the winshield wipers in a car with a cracked engine block. Like my analogies? hehe.

D

http://www.daveblairmusic.com/

Bud, thanks much I'll keep you posted through here. I'm hookied up with producer in Nashville and will be recording the first tracks of my original music CD in Nov.

Blessings and Balance,

Ernest

ernestwhaleymusic.com

I agree with others that you have a nice voice. I think you got some good advice on your breath control for the higher notes. Keep on playing and singing as you guys so good together.

Bud

Archived