Aretha Franklin and Jennifer Hudson

1fancyBird

Hello.

I would just like to say I am very new to all of this so if I use the wrong terminology I apologise in advance.

I have been reading a lot of the posts on this forum and watching clips on youtube (I have ordered The four pillars of singing but am waiting to get it) and was wondering, when Aretha and Jennifer sing their powerful high notes, is this really them just using their head voice in a way that sounds like a chest voice (ie what some refer to as mixed)? I always thought they just were blessed with a super extraordinary chest range. Does that mean with the appropriate training I could, perhaps not sound as good as them, but hit some of those amazing notes that they can (PS. I am a woman :))?

At the moment I am struggling with the usual issues of bridging and the urge to push up chest voice and strain. I have no problem singing in head voice, but it is not very pleasant and weak (it is not falsetto - although I can do that) unless I go into a kind of opera sound where I can sound strong and go quite high, however that is not the sound I want. I can't imagine turning this head voice that I have into anything that sounds like a chest voice belt!

They are in their head registers but changing the placement of resonance, modifying vowels and other such techniques that allow the head voice to sound chesty. It's got to do with the frequencies produced, not straining or pulling chest. If you practice hard enough, it is entirely possible for you to achieve this kind of sound :)

Hello.

I would just like to say I am very new to all of this so if I use the wrong terminology I apologise in advance.

I have been reading a lot of the posts on this forum and watching clips on youtube (I have ordered The four pillars of singing but am waiting to get it) and was wondering, when Aretha and Jennifer sing their powerful high notes, is this really them just using their head voice in a way that sounds like a chest voice (ie what some refer to as mixed)? I always thought they just were blessed with a super extraordinary chest range. Does that mean with the appropriate training I could, perhaps not sound as good as them, but hit some of those amazing notes that they can (PS. I am a woman :))?

At the moment I am struggling with the usual issues of bridging and the urge to push up chest voice and strain. I have no problem singing in head voice, but it is not very pleasant and weak (it is not falsetto - although I can do that) unless I go into a kind of opera sound where I can sound strong and go quite high, however that is not the sound I want. I can't imagine turning this head voice that I have into anything that sounds like a chest voice belt!

hello there, i'm in this "tell it like it is mode" lately so please don't interpret what i say as rude.

singing chesty sounding in a head voice/placement (the goal of just about everyone) generally takes a lot of hard work, but it can be done. you need to patient and willing to lean more into your voice as well. the core needs to be strong too to generate the breath pressure and the intensity of her vocals.

i sing a couple of aretha songs (male version, works in progress ...lols!!)...they are not easy because of the intensity and she is skilled at belting...which can require a lot of vocal stamina. you will get a lot out of rob's program as long as you commit to a dilligent vocal exercise routine. hope i've helped.

Thanks for your responses. It seems like at least I am finally in the right place after frustration with 'singing teachers' that have just taught me to push up my chest voice! VIDEOHERE, that is not rude at all. Thanks for the honest advice!

Dante that is a very interesting excerpt and thread. Thanks.

Thanks for your responses. It seems like at least I am finally in the right place after frustration with 'singing teachers' that have just taught me to push up my chest voice! VIDEOHERE, that is not rude at all. Thanks for the honest advice!

Dante that is a very interesting excerpt and thread. Thanks.

yes, you really don't want to push it up per se, but you do want to develop more of a mixed voice bringing in more chest "tone" into the head voice. aretha franklin is a consummate belter but the chesty-sounding tone is residing in the head register.

Archived