My first post! Looking for some guidance!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi guys, I've just joined this forum and it looks and sounds great!

I'm looking for some help........One main obstacle (among many, haven't been singing long at all!) is a choking sound to my higher notes. It is super frustrating as I know i can hit the notes, they just sound strained and terrible! I feel i am supporting correctly, nothing feels painful at all but I definitely feel that maybe I could ease up the pressure on my throat, it's not crazy pressure but I definitely feel that it could be relaxed. The thing I need help with is; how do i do this??

http://www.box.net/shared/tpmm9lzzne5dhsc1kzlp

I've posted a clip of me singing a song with some higher notes in (Journey's Faithfully) . . I know this sounds pretty damn bad, but I had to choose a song with some high notes in to illustrate my point :) Also apologies for the recording, it was done on the fly really just through my laptop speakers.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Woo check it out, I'm no longer a forum posting virgin, less painful than i imagined (so far).

I guess my ears are messed up because I didn't hear anything wrong. Whatever mic you are using is killing your sustain. But you sound on pitch, to me.

Tommy

Very good singing.

Above your first bridge you sounded nearly perfect. Lower notes must be improved by control (support/twang/satble vibrato).

Enjoyable cover.

My singing -----> http://soundcloud.com/richardstomach

Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

Yeah the sustain was destroyed, I recorded that clip just using the built in mic on my laptop, it was done more for speed than anything else to be fair!

devaitis - Thanks for your comments, very kind! I thought it sounded pretty bad?!

Anyways yeah definitely with you on trying to improve the lower notes too. I think a lot of the time I'm just lazy and end up not focussing as much as I should on twang and overall support. I'm gonna try and start focussing on this more.

As far as the higher notes go, I just feel that they could definitely be more relaxed and free. I think that the problem could be due to my throat not being as relaxed as it should. Any tips on figuring this out as well would again be hugely appreciated!

Tommy

Not sure how these experienced guys are not hearing those bits where you slip. The sound is fantastic, except for where you're on the top note and slip a bit. When I sing and hear/feel that it feels terrible and I can't keep it up. For me it means there is too much pressure. You may be different, but for me, artistically, it's pretty distracting because it doesn't sound intentional.

It's on "while" a little bit, and very obvious on "place" and "music".

Amazing sound overall, really nice sound. However those few spots do betray something. Not sure what that is though! :D

:)Hello Tommy, I would say that what you're hearing involves placement on the high notes. Seems like the voice placement may be too far back and that's why you get a strained sound on the highs. It's a familiar problem. Work on producing the sound with your diaphragm and you can hit those notes without any strain. Keep on keeping on...

Bad?! Your voice is fine, but I suggest getting your ears checked. :lol: Nothing about that sounds bad. Really good job man.

I'm not a teacher. Please take my posts as mere suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your feedback guys! I have been working with my vocal coach since I made the recording and we have been working on some songs which fly around this same kind of high area. Progress is being made too which is awesome!

I've found that focussing on my support and (sounds stupid) but energy towards the floor really takes pressure away from my throat which opens it up and makes the higher notes sound fuller! I will have to post another recording sometime soon and get some more feedback off you guys.

I am loving this forum btw, it's amazing how someone can record a song and others can put their constructive critique on and help out those in need......wicked!

Muchos love

Tommy

You will find, Tommy, that everyone here offers the best they can give, even if we don't all agree all the time and approach from different perspectives. I used to think this forum was all about heavy metal and screaching rock singing. And certainly most of us here enjoy some of that. But the forum says "vocalist" and that is all styles and timbres.

And I see a wide range represented here, from choral and opera to hard rock to heavy metal to country to devotional or comtemporary religious. I am a fan of both Sarah Brightman and AC/DC, all in the same breath. And many others have wide ranges of taste, as well. And there are a number of instructors and coaches here and access to other systems.

But good on you for having an actual, living vocal coach.

Imagery helps, more often than a technical description, though some people benefit more from the scientific side. So, if pulling your breath toward your feet takes the strain off your throat, then it is working. One thing I have learned, regardless of system, is to not be conscious of the throat. One shouldn't even think about thinking about the throat. The action will be in the abs and the sound comes out of the head.

Archived