Trying something a little different

• TMV World Legacy Member

Hi all,

Here's my second cover, this time it's Kelly Clarkson's song Hear Me. My last recording displayed the top half of my voice, and I picked this to display the bottom half, with quite low notes and some chesty mid-range singing.

I also decided to record this from memory, i.e. not listening to the original while singing. I wanted to test how well my pitch holds up without a reference.

Please comment! I would love to hear your thoughts and critique. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oqe8GaN34I

I'm not a teacher. Please take my posts as mere suggestions.

Back off the vibrato for now. Most of your vibrato sounded like vascillation in breath pressure, which will ruin you. Later, it sounded like you were producing vibrato by quivering the larynx, ala Colin Hayes from Men At Work. Stop that, too. The very last notes had the natural vibrato of what the folds do, which is to have a secondary vibration. That is true vibrato. And it happens without effort.

You started out weak on breath support, maybe from trying to be quiet. But it got better later on. That is the breath support you want, later on, even on soft notes.

To echo Bob, in a way, you want fuller adduction in the folds so that you breath is better used. The best I can describe is to think of the note as "small" and you amplify it from there, mostly through resonating in the right space, which is usually above the soft palate.

And much applause for taking on a difficult song.

Indeed, those lower notes were lacking in support, and I think the dodgy vibrato and pitchiness were by-products of that. I've been doing support exercises lately, and my high range has improved noticeably, but my lowest notes are still just as difficult. Thinking of the note as "small" does help slightly, so I will incorporate that into my regime, and see what happens.

Thanks Ron. :)

I'm not a teacher. Please take my posts as mere suggestions.

Archived