Liprolls

Rate this topic

lightbluesky

Hello

I've been tryin' to learn how to do liprolls for months now and I still don't make it. I try to make it sound dopy and focusing on making the lips vibrate but still it hurts while doin' them, especially on higher pitches.

I can only do the liprolls if I do somekind of underbite. I get like a "sad smile" instead of how the other people on youtube and so on demonstrates the liprolls, even without holding their cheeks! It looks pretty strange when I have this underbite and I try to take back my jaw but than I can't make the lips roll at all. Sounds more like a pffffffffff sound. To actually make it posible for me to mak the liprolls, I have to force air through my lips, or do the underbite.

I also can't do the tonguetrills, and to choose which one is easier than it's definitely the liprolls. The tonguetrills hurts all the time.

I dunno what to actually focus on while doin' the liprolls, or how to do them correctly. I looked up so many videos on the net about how to make it properly, I wonder if it's not even another problem than the liprolls?

Hope anybody will help me!

lightbluesky

I find lip rolls really easy. At first I couldn't really connect my chest to head very well, always flipped.

The main thing i think about is trying not to crack or flip into head voice. I pay no mind to the set up, I know I'm not flapping my lips like a motor boat or my breath is too heavy and blowing out my vocal cords. I used to go for a dopey sound and this never really helped because I stuck in chest voice and found complications lightening up or going into head voice smoothly.

I try and create a feeling of "edge" like a vocal fry to connect chest and head, but once my voice is warmed up I can simply glide from low to high with the lip rolls.

I could never really do tongue trills, because I felt my tongue became tense when I did it.

sounds more like a pffffffffff sound. To actually make it posible for me to mak the liprolls, I have to force air through my lips, or do the underbite.

lip rolls needs two key ingredients:

relaxation in the lips jaw and neck

and breath support

never use i a "p," use a "b"

you can also try pulling back your cheeks a little at each mouth crease

just relax the whole mouth area and support from below gently. try to flutter the lips as a first step without a tone. forget about a tone. just try speaking a flutter see if that helps.

Hi !!

Thank you for the help and advice!

I try and create a feeling of "edge" like a vocal fry to connect chest and head,

Isn't the "edge" the same as Cry?

lip rolls needs two key ingredients:

relaxation in the lips jaw and neck

and breath support

Breath support, is that when my waist goes outwards and my belly goes inwards? I thought breath support is not really important for liprolls exercises. :o :O :o

never use i a "p," use a "b"

Do you mean I start the liprolls with "b"?

Thanks for the help! I'll try it out tomorrow. :)

Hi !!

Thank you for the help and advice!

Isn't the "edge" the same as Cry?

Breath support, is that when my waist goes outwards and my belly goes inwards? I thought breath support is not really important for liprolls exercises. :o :O :o

Do you mean I start the liprolls with "b"?

Thanks for the help! I'll try it out tomorrow. :)

yes, use a "b." the "p" with cut you off. breath support is used even for correct speaking.

I tried to get a mental image of that posture and came up with Mick Jagger doing his chicken-walk.

When I was saying that lip bubbles help with metering the air, that is part of breath "support" which should be stated as breath management, semantically. Though I could be wrong.

Hi!

yes, use a "b." the "p" with cut you off. breath support is used even for correct speaking.

I'm not quiet sure if I understand it now, but do I use the "B" when starting the liproll?

From one youtube clip the person demonstrate to start the liproll with a breathy start.

When I was saying that lip bubbles help with metering the air, that is part of breath "support" which should be stated as breath management, semantically. Though I could be wrong.

I guess being able to do the liproll means you've got good breath control and support. I must have a very bad breath support cause my whole throat strangles when I do the liprolls. =/

Also, when I hold my cheeks it's easier for me to do the liprolls, although it still hurts a little bit in my jaw and tongue while I try to do the liprolls now without jutting the jaw. I dunno how to relax my jaw and lips and tongue while doin' the liprolls really. Is there anyhting I should work on before doin' the liprolls? It also starts cramping in my chin-muscles.

When I don't hold my cheeks, I still end up gettin' the "sad smile" and being on the way of creating a jutting jaw, in order to keep my lips rolling. It really feels like there's other muscles controling my whole voicebox. Even when I should just pretend to be "tired after a whole day of work" I also end up jutting my jaw forward.

I actually practiced doin' the liprolls for a year now but I realized that I do it wrong cause when I looked in the mirror how I do it it looks pretty bad. everybody on youtube or other clips do it beautifully but when I do it I have this mega jutting jaw and sad smile in order to keep my lips rolling and I never thought it's wrong. And that's why I never understood why my range just got more limited.

It sounds like I'm very sad over this but I am kinda cause I worked in something wrong for a whole time and that's probably why I got my chest-falsetto voice back. =/

Sorry for so much writing.

Lip rolls are really not that hard. It doesn't require a huge effort to do them.

Yeah that's what I actually wanna believe. :(

I know that when we do the liprolls wrong we either push the chest upwards or break into falsetto. I think I'm the one who pulls up my chest voice but somehow I learned myself doin' the liprolls with a Jutting jaw and I dunno if I will ever get rid of that. Or do I have this jutting jaw in order to keep my lips bubble because of pulled up chest????

What I think, lightbluesky, is that no one is actually reading the words you are writing. You have already stated that you have an underbite. Possibly severe enough to structurally be different than a number of other people. You might have to (oh my God, yes, I am going to have to say it, I can't stop myself, surely I shall burn and there will be great wailing and gnashing of teeth, for I am, indeed on the highway to Hell) find something different than lip rolls. The whole point of the matter is not to make you your lips bubble or even make your tongue trill just for the sake of those actions. Those are tricks to help hold back the air you normally release while just exhaling and, for some people, while speaking. That's all. I used to think it helped note placement. But really, what you are needing is to learn consistent, controlled air pressure and full adduction and Dena Murray explains that very well, so I expect her to be stated as being wrong (par for the course). So, what can you do in the meantime? Hum. It's what Bruce Dickinson does, about 30 minutes before showtime.

Guess who else had an underbite? Ronald "Bon" Scott.