Hi everyone :) !! Advice for a Newb please ^_^" !!

Rate this topic

Raddy

Hello everyone. I just joined the forum tonite and it's really awesome to see so much good information here from a lot of good people. I am a Blues/Rock Funk Fusion guitarist that really wants to open doors to the music he can express. I don't have a teacher, nor am i a good vocalist in all honesty, But i know some basic warmups and thanks to my guitarist background, have relative pitch to sing out all the scales. Also i should mention i am a Tenor :) !!

I would love if you guys could point me in the right direction to be a better singer and give me tips or useful links that would help me with the process and recommend good beginning songs for a tenor !!

A quick question to an issue i am facing :- My voice is rather soft and sober and is not very powerful to sing the blues with the high intensity of dynamics required -_-" !! While i can sing pretty well at low volumes, it all goes down the drain when trying to be a tad bit more powerful in expressing an idea.

Here are my influences for vocals whom i don't want to copy or be like, but i am influenced heavily and would give you an idea of what i am thinking about when i am thinking blues vocals.

Chaka Khan Rufus - Tell me something Good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWcAUxIgXxc

Joe Bonamassa - Blues Deluxe

I could put on a ton here. But i think i'll limit it down because Those 2 express the general idea really well :) !!

I really do appreciate your time taken out to read this. A big thank you to all those who did so !!

Will be posting a quick clip of my voice real quick !!

I'd rather hear what your voice sounds like, anway. I already know what Chaka Khan sounds like.

I'm a little confused. You say you're a tenor and I was just wondering how you knew that. No offense meant, it's just usually best to wait after some training and experimentation before you type yourself. I use to think of myself as a baritone with counter-tenor but now that I have done some real work and solidified what it is that I can do with the widest range of dynamics, I view myself as a tenor. Point being, one's view can change as time goes by. Anyway, upload something of YOU singing. That's what I want to hear. We already have Chaka and Joe. What we need is a Raddy.

@ronws As i said i have a lot of experience as a guitarist :) !! I am able to read music notation (though i will admit i am not really that good at completely sight reading a piece >_<")

and with the help of the almighty google, i started doing my research on vocal warmups and exercises. One Such article showed me about the vocal ranges which were Bass, Tenor, Alto, Soprano (i know there are more, but those were the 4 mentioned there and please enlighten me if i seem disillusioned about something or ignorant about something :) ) It said that the Tenor starts at the C below middle to the G an octave and a half above middle C. My Lowest note i can manage with my voice is a coarse B an octave below middle C (which is just barely, so i think i'll stick to saying my voice does exactly start at C below middle C ) and my highest is an A in middle C without going to falsetto. This is after i have done my warmup :) !!

Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply !! I'll post up my singing real quick as soon as i get a decent connection to upload.

@Videohere : yes i am just starting out >_<" Hopefully i can take it somewhere and not scare the neighbours ._." !!

Here i have uploaded a cover of me doing Damien Rice's 9 Crimes :) !! It isn't usually the kind or type of song i am hunting after but i had sung it for my friends birthday :rolleyes: !!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JL79YW2U

Enjoy ^_^" !!

All criticism will be taken with an open mind... i am really trying to learn here >_<" !!

No offense but this is a singer's forum, not a guitarist's forum. And I say that as someone who has played guitar since October of 1974. I wanted to hear your voice, not a guitar playing the same 4 chords over and over. Can you upload a version that has your voice featured more prominently? Also, if you are a tenor, as you described, you might want to pick a tenor song, rather than a baritone song, which is what this one was.

I'm not complaining or brow-beating you. I just want to actually hear what you are talking about.

@ronws

Please read this slowly and well :) !!

I am a confused BEGINNER.... JUST STARTING OUT.... NOVICE.... Amateur "trying to be vocalist"

"No offense but this is a singer's forum, not a guitarist's forum" :- What >_<" ??? Do tell me how does that relate :( ??? I mean i respect what your saying but really i can't see the connection... At all o.o.... I am guessing you are talking about my playing in the recording, to which i must say that i did not have a mixer or fader on me... I had just dumped 4 tracks recorded on a mobile phone recorded and multi-tracked them on Audacity. I did increase the vocal volume and decrease the guitar volume a bit, but the voice started clipping if i made it even louder so i had to keep it at that level and instead tried to dedicate the vocals more the left side which during bouncing may have affected the quality even more... But it was only a cheap recording for a friend's birthday :( !!

I am sorry if you find it strenuous to your ears to hear a 4 chord song... But really doing chord inversions and substitutions and singing over them is not what am trying to go for with my voice :\ !!

One of the reasons i did come to this forum is for advice... infact i did mention quite meekly in my first post :-

"I would love if you guys could point me in the right direction to be a better singer and give me tips or useful links that would help me with the process and recommend good beginning songs for a tenor !!"

If you don't think i am a Tenor then please use the information in my second post and enlighten me on what i may be :) !!

And also i think i mentioned this right at the start :-

"A quick question to an issue i am facing :- My voice is rather soft and sober and is not very powerful to sing the blues with the high intensity of dynamics required -_-" !! While i can sing pretty well at low volumes, it all goes down the drain when trying to be a tad bit more powerful in expressing an idea."

I hope i don't come across as offensive or rude... And please don't start a flame war with me... all am trying to do is learn how to sing :) !!

on that note: As soon as i am free from the noise around me for a little quite time, i will post another song. Suggestions for which Beginner Tenor song would be suitable are welcomed and completely asked for :) !!

@ronws

Please read this slowly and well :) !!

I am a confused BEGINNER.... JUST STARTING OUT.... NOVICE.... Amateur "trying to be vocalist"

"No offense but this is a singer's forum, not a guitarist's forum" :- What >_<" ??? Do tell me how does that relate :( ??? I mean i respect what your saying but really i can't see the connection... At all o.o.... I am guessing you are talking about my playing in the recording, to which i must say that i did not have a mixer or fader on me... I had just dumped 4 tracks recorded on a mobile phone recorded and multi-tracked them on Audacity. I did increase the vocal volume and decrease the guitar volume a bit, but the voice started clipping if i made it even louder so i had to keep it at that level and instead tried to dedicate the vocals more the left side which during bouncing may have affected the quality even more... But it was only a cheap recording for a friend's birthday :( !!

I am sorry if you find it strenuous to your ears to hear a 4 chord song... But really doing chord inversions and substitutions and singing over them is not what am trying to go for with my voice :\ !!

One of the reasons i did come to this forum is for advice... infact i did mention quite meekly in my first post :-

"I would love if you guys could point me in the right direction to be a better singer and give me tips or useful links that would help me with the process and recommend good beginning songs for a tenor !!"

If you don't think i am a Tenor then please use the information in my second post and enlighten me on what i may be :) !!

And also i think i mentioned this right at the start :-

"A quick question to an issue i am facing :- My voice is rather soft and sober and is not very powerful to sing the blues with the high intensity of dynamics required -_-" !! While i can sing pretty well at low volumes, it all goes down the drain when trying to be a tad bit more powerful in expressing an idea."

I hope i don't come across as offensive or rude... And please don't start a flame war with me... all am trying to do is learn how to sing :) !!

on that note: As soon as i am free from the noise around me for a little quite time, i will post another song. Suggestions for which Beginner Tenor song would be suitable are welcomed and completely asked for :) !!

rad, if you are brand new to singing the very first thing i would suggest is buy a book on breathing for singing. jaime vendera has a great one...read it and follow his advice.

if you want to do serious power vocals, belting and such i would suggest you improve your breath capacity. that's my suggestion if i were a teacher. you can read that book and get a swell jist of breathing for singing.

if you want to do serious power vocals, belting and such i would suggest you improve your breath capacity. that's my suggestion if i were a teacher. you can read that book and get a swell jist of breathing for singing.

Hey :) !! Thank you so much for taking out the time to reply :) !!

Should i start with Raise your Voice or The Ultimate breathing workout ?? Both are by vendera but Molly Burnside has given her input in the ultimate breathing workout too.

Thanks alot for pointing me out in a direction to work towards !!

Also Can anyone comment on how effective 4 pillar TVS is to help someone sing ?

my pleasure. ultimate breathing workout.

raddy, the way i feel, any vocal program mentioned on the forum will help. it's how you apply yourself that counts.

if you enjoy reading, read a bunch of books and too to give you a nice rounded perspective.