Sirens - is this how you do it?

Olem

I think you have the general idea down. Not bad at all, man. Practise it over and over and try to minimize throat tension. Mix it up, also - sometimes do it only over one octave, sometimes do it slow, sometimes fast, sometimes go down instead of up, sometimes go up and then down, try other vowels (you were using the Uh curbing vowel, which is great, but also try others), etc.

Thanx, CunoDante. When i work on getting a more open throat, what i must do? The yawning sensation i know of, i am not completely sure if i do it right though.

The thing I'm hearing in you, mostly in your lower range, is a bit of tension at the base of the tongue. It just sounds like you're not getting a full release there. It could also be connected with opening the jaw a little more, but the primary thing is the tongue. You might want to try slides while sticking your tongue out of your mouth. Good vowels to use for that would be AAH as in cat and AH as in my or the Spanish casa. Both of those vowels just in and of themselves, even without sticking out the tongue, help to encourage a release at the base of the tongue. Working with that more will help to release your throat and thus open your voice.

~~Dante~~

Dante et al...

Extending these thoughts a bit... sometimes tongue tension is associated with particular vowels in a voice, so I recommend that siren exercises be done on ALL the vowels. As example, for my own voice, it was the oo vowel that held the most hidden tension and rigidity.

To assure that the tongue does all the positioning motions it needs to, I think its a good idea to take the lip shape out of consideration for a bit. To do this, drop the jaw about a thumbs-width, and smile broadly during the exercise. This embouchure produces a very bright vowel series which is helpful for the exercise.

Pick a note in the lower-middle part of the voice, and do the sirens (fifth or octave) at a comfy volume for these vowels, each vowel 3 or 4 sirens, in any order you care to.

Ih (as in bit)

Eh (as in get)

A (as in hat)

Uh (as in up)

oe (as is foot)

Ee ( as in feet)

Ay (as in gate)

Ah (as in father)

Oh (as in boat)

Oo (as in boot)

oe (as in her, without the R)

oe (as in bird without the R)

There are other vowel shades that are between these, which are used in English words, and a number that are used in foreign languages, but this is a good starting point.

I hope this helps.

Archived