Resonance comparison!

Alright, three different placements. First is a nasal one, third one is a full one and the second one is in between those two. I guess I don't know better terms for them :) Here's the clip:

http://maihinnousu.net/s/12898

Do you agree with me that the last one sounded best, fullest and most natural? Really funny thing is that I've been singing with the first (nasal) placement a lot and even my speaking voice can be nasal sometimes. I'm so used to it that I always considered it to be my "natural" voice, but now that I listen back to those sounds it kinda sounds like I was joking while I was doing it.

The last sounds most natural, yet it took me over an hour to find that place. Then when it happened it kinda felt a bit exaggerated and kind of artificial, just because I'm not used to it. Yet it sounds clearly the best and most natural. Old habits can be confusing!

The "middle" sound (second clip) was nothing more than my attempt to reproduce the full sound after I discovered it! Slipped a bit to the nasal side, but not much, still sounds good imo.

Thank god I record my practice stuff, how else was I supposed to discover this.. :) Feel free to comment, what do you think about those three sounds/placements?

Opaa - I totally agree with you. The last one is the best. Not sure what you are changing, but it seems that you've gained more resonance, maybe a longer vocal tract with a more open throat and lower larynx? Maybe more relaxed muscles?

You got it right. I was really focusing on keeping the throat open and also lowering the larynx (while keeping the kind of 'smile' or 'mask' thing to avoid getting too dopy). Obviously relaxing the neck and throat was a key too.

Now I'll keep growing my voice from this new perspective!

I agree, the last one had the most "pleasing" sound. And yes, it's about resonance, not effect. And I bet your throat felt relaxed and breathing followed whereever you were going.

Archived