adam lambert's belting

ast92

I dunno Guys his curbing is clear as à bell as he centers directly on the curbing vowels, he switches fr.o.m. This to his higher "sounds" such is sung on eh It,s an overdrive vowel, i dont hear any extra metal being added to the highernotes rather they sound alot easyer.

Got an other good clip from à Singer with an equal light voice he has à ver similar technique to lambert.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=SE#/watch?v=exvbjczw9ho plz fix link ani ;)

At around the Two minute mark youll hear à great switch from overdrive to curbing " i reeeehhmeehhh beeehhr doooiiing there Taiiim walk." and youll hear the diffrence in metal between the modes.

Higher up That diffrence if modes are centered are alot higher since High C up That high in overdrive is an extreme.

Now im not saying Adam lambert cant sing high overdrive, but i can almost bet My right arm thats not centered overdrive in That clip.

If you listen at 3:47, he's definitely in curbing (like most of the song) because it's restrained, but then he goes up to a higher note that's softer and less metallic, that's MLN. It's very different to the last note at 4:04, which I'm sure is edge, because overdrive would have more actual volume (as opposed to amplified volume).

Edit: Here is Jens' link fixed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bDXf3i4CCo

Another reason why the CVT modes can be a double edged sword. Jens, me and Spectrum have all spent a considerable amount of time researching the modes but we still disagree about Lambert's modes. This is because, like I said, especially high up in pitch, the modes start to merge with each other. I think the only ones who can guess the modes corectly with 99% accuracy are experienced CVT coaches (but I've even heard them disagreeing on mode analysis more than once) and Martin Holms. One day I might even create a vocal product myself that will probably not include modes (except as a small chapter) but include lots of rasp exercises. Then again, I'm always willing to change my mind about this, if it makes sense to me.

wow big confusion lol i always thought he used mainly curbing and sometimes overdrive i hoped he used edge cz thats wat im practicing nw :(

ok check this 1 out here i can hear this guy jimmy gnecco at the end oof the songs he belts really powerfully wen he sings STAAAAAAY WITH ME TONIIIGHT!! :P

i can hear a hold there (curbing) hw is that although the vowel is ay i really begin to doubt the vocal mode thing

or is wat hes doing damaging to the voice he is having lessons from ss ppl and of course they oppose pulling up of chest voice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO6pI4138nU

I'm not a huge CVT follower, but that "stay with me tonight" part sounded restrained (curbing) although it had good intensity and a little distortion added on. Distortion may give it a quality of metal.

It sounded like an A4 to me. I think you can still do curbing on the vowel A at that level and even above C5; but if you are doing overdrive, you should start using A and O on the higher notes before you top out at C5. They are easier than other vowels. You shouldn't do any overdrive after that. Curbing is fine, but the A is harder to do than Uh and Ih that high.

So I think it actually makes sense that it sounds intense trying to keep the A in curbing centered on A4 since it is more naturally an overdrive vowel. Takes more energy.

Another reason why the CVT modes can be a double edged sword. Jens, me and Spectrum have all spent a considerable amount of time researching the modes but we still disagree about Lambert's modes. This is because, like I said, especially high up in pitch, the modes start to merge with each other. I think the only ones who can guess the modes corectly with 99% accuracy are experienced CVT coaches (but I've even heard them disagreeing on mode analysis more than once) and Martin Holms. One day I might even create a vocal product myself that will probably not include modes (except as a small chapter) but include lots of rasp exercises. Then again, I'm always willing to change my mind about this, if it makes sense to me.

JP,

I think the issues arise because people are using CVT incorrectly. The modes aren't meant as guidelines for emulating someone else's sound, they're there to help you tap into your own potential. Also, modes are just a piece of the puzzle, you need to read the whole book and practice every aspect of it (separately, of course) to see the full benefits in your voice.

ayad,

I also think it's Edge. BUT, and this is a big but, at High C and above I find that all sorts of mode blurring can occur...so it all gets very fuzzy to me(primarily because I only have a basic working knowledge of CVT.)

To me, it sounds very much like what Rob teaches. Listen specifically at 8:00:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99wG3N8dJuM&feature=related

EDIT:

I found another great video that Rob has up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKKKbP3wZ_w&feature=related

Adam is singing from the same light and very twanged spot. He may have a tad more "chest" involvement, but it is coming from an extremely thinned out spot.

rob likes to teach with a mic. i'm inclined to not want to do that. i don't know, i'd rather practice un-mic'ed....like "rocky" punch the meat instead of the punching bag....lol!!!

ok guys can u plz send me ur msn emails or skype cz im in a big confusion :/

im using 4 pillars now and i know i will sing with power but it will be a different sound than those 2 awesome singers do

as a beginner in the whole vocal technique world i dont know which is approach or technique is right and which is wrong some say pull up chest others say dont and many other contradicts.

i will still be using 4 pillars cz its really great for learning twang and i will have some lessons soon with rob but my demands are many im a greedy person :P

i wanna sing in both ways like robert's techniques and also like lambert and gnecco

ayad92,

Adam to my ears sounds like he's doing an Overdrive with a lighter sound color on the C5 at 3:09, 3:17, and the one on the last note of the song. I hear it neither as MLN nor Curbing. It has more of that crazy, wild, unrestrained sound that I expect from the full metallic modes. He is well connected and coordinated with his voice, and keeps great release at the back of his tongue. The C5 at 3:42 sounds like it MIGHT be Edge. It seems to have a little more twang and brightness than the other C5's. The Eb5 at 3:49 is more of what I think of for Metal-like Neutral. There is a distinct "disconnecting" that you could hear in his voice that wouldn't happen if he maintained more of one of the metallic modes.

Now to the Jimmy Gnecco clip. When he says "stay with me tonight" at 3:42, the "stay" on the A4 sounded like he was ABOUT to sing in Overdrive, but then went to Curbing. He just sang the two vowels of the diphthong, the EH and the EE, focusing more on the EE sound. When he did the EH for the first split second, he was in Overdrive perhaps with a slight hold, but when he primarily held out the EE sound (which sang, sounded more like IH), he was in Curbing. "With me" sounded like Curbing. The "tonight" on the B4 is very interesting. He sounded like he was going for Overdrive but didn't quite have enough support to maintain the open throat in Overdrive, and thus ended up in a distorted, in between thing. Throughout the whole phrase, however, his jaw seemed to lock a bit, so that could be playing a part in all of this too. He's an awesome artist, btw. From the first time I saw this clip, I was in awe at his level of focus, concentration, and interpretation. He never for one second got distracted as he was singing. He stayed focused solely on what he was singing, staying in the moment. It gave a very pure, consistent flow. Great discipline.

~~Dante~~

yea maan thanks and jimmy is 1 of my favs i have all his albums as u say hes a really awesome artist :D

rob likes to teach with a mic. i'm inclined to not want to do that. i don't know, i'd rather practice un-mic'ed....like "rocky" punch the meat instead of the punching bag....lol!!!

hahahahaaa ya i know but his workouts sound better with the mic u hear the head voice really loud and boomy so u enjoy doing it but for the other prograams i think it will be really boring to do them with a mic :P

Archived