Steelheart - She's gone, working on the head voice

Hello, guys.

This song was a favourite of mine since I was 14 or 15, and i always wanted to sing it. So I gave it a try, since I'm working on not pulling the chest voice in the head voice zone, and here we have a shitload of high head voice notes. I started exercising seriously with a vocal programm, and I think I made a bit progress in the past 2-3 weeks. I'm not pulling so much as before, have better control and extended my range a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hijc1kGbd5M

I will be glad to hear opinions and advices!

Duchi, it's not so bad, however, there are some problems with your singing. Sometimes you force some notes in the verses (in particular G4). The higher notes seem to have insufficient support and sometimes are unstable (D5 to G5).

Just for you to compare and analyze, I provide a link to my cover. Please listen: http://www.realmusic.ru/songs/902354/

Jugulator, thanks for the comment! The part "Forgive me, giiiIIIII III I I I I RRRLL", it's G4 B4 D5 G5, right? I cannot do the transition smooth enough, probably because I'm starting G4 in chest and it should be in head? How do you do it? About the breath support, you are right, I'm working on that :)

Привет от болгарского! Увы мой русский не так добры..:)

The part "Forgive me, giiiIIIII III I I I I RRRLL", it's G4 B4 D5 G5, right?

Yes. That's right.

I cannot do the transition smooth enough, probably because I'm starting G4 in chest and it should be in head? How do you do it?

I also start G4 in chest, but my B4 is in a mixed voice, though I can sing this note in chest. D5 is again mixed and G5 is completely in head. You should work hard on your mixed voice to make the transitions smooth enough. As an example, you may listen to Mark Slaughter's singing.

Привет от болгарского! Увы мой русский не так добры..:)

Привет :)

Duchi - it sounds good. You've got the same challenges as most of us have, and that is the connection between chest and head. At a certain point you've got to start thinning out the folds so that chest "morphs" into head seamlessly. Along with thinning out the folds you need to work on vowel modification which reduces stress and tension as you sing through the passagio. With the right kind of training, this can still take a while to master.

Sounds like you are doing the right things and you are making progress. Keep at it.

Thanks, guys, your comments motivate me to work harder !!

I have a question about vowel modification - I found out that it is hard for me to sing the word "obscene" (in the song Guns n Roses - Rocket Queen " I might be too much but honey you're a bit obscene" ) and the word "you" and "fullfill" ( Chris Cornell - You know my name "You can't deny the prize it may never fulfill you").

My english dictionary says it should sound like [əb'si:n], but I strain at this si:n, how can I modify ?

And about "you" and "fullfill" I noticed Cornell modifies to "yo" (like a rapper yo,yo,man,wassup) and to "fullfEll", it should be modified like this, right?

Archived