New to singing please help

Rate this topic

Fminorpenta

Hi, there my name is Steve, and Iam new to singing I love metal,punk,blues, mainly though I enjoy metal, and classical themes stuff like in the movies.

So anyways Ill cut to the chase I have played guitar for 3 years almost now and would like to learn to sing since I often write lyrics and cant do anything with them

I started trying the past 3 months I have a metallica-cover I did on vocals enter sandman to give you an idea of where Iam at. I have 2 takes in different octaves I guess you might say?

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=116871

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=115751

Also Iam I too old to start singing since Iam 18 (just got done with high school)

So what should I do....?

PS I dont plan on becoming a rock star or going to american idol but I enjoy playing music :D

Guitar sounds good. Youve got some of the vocal effects, that is, some of the grit and growl Hetfield uses, but your trouble is youve jumped right over basic singing and straight on to the effects...like learning to play solos on the guitar without knowing how to play any chords...you're singing the same effects as hetfield does, and you do that pretty well, but you're not singing the same notes as him, and you gotta do that...You should probably do something like pick out the notes he sings on the guitar and then practice singing those same notes at the same time or something. Others will probably have better tricks.

So thats it...? thats all to singing I should know about, cmon man feed me some advice here.

also when I sing should I feel from my head,chest, front o my mouth how do I know Iam singing right???

anything more than that...?

• 2 weeks later...

There are lots of things that go into learning to sing well. I've been on my way to getting where I want to be vocally for probably 9 months now, and I really don't expect my journey ever to really end. Having said that, the best thing I think you could do would be to find a *good* teacher (I can help you with that if you're really interested) and commit yourself to practicing daily. I really can't begin to talk about everything that's involved in vocal production. It's pretty complex, and not really dealt with well in a forum situation. That's why I think you should get yourself a teacher and let him or her start to guide you on the right path and teach you the basics from a theoretical point of view (which I find extremely helpful).

Hope that helps a little.

Josh

Id suggest singing to scales you play on the guitar. You're too off key, you need to straighten that out first, IMO. Also, after having another listen, without being too much of a downer, you need to think about timing too when you sing. You havent got an issue with timing when you play the guitar, but you need to remember it when youre singing and phrasing. You'd probably sound pretty good if you straightened those two things out, imo.

LIKE THE PREVIOUS PERSON SAID, SINGING REALLY WELL IS A LIFELONG JOURNEY. THERE WILL BE TIMES WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE THE YOU CAN GO ANYWHERE WITH YOUR VOICE AND TIMES WHERE YOU (MAY POSSIBLY) LOSE YOUR VOICE. TIMES WHEN YOU'RE JUST RUNDOWN AND STRESSED, OTHER TIMES YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG. IT'S YOUR INSTRUMENT, BUT IT'S IRREPLACABLE. IF I WERE YOU, GRAB AND BOOK AND DVD AND START WITH THE BASICS. GET THAT FOUNDATION FIRST.