Graining sound when singing low notes

MariFreakinA

Hey, I am hoping someone can help me with this. Whenever I am singing (scales or even just singing in general), I sound very grainy when I get anywhere lower than the b before middle c, it's always been an issue for me. Teachers have been telling me for years that it is because I am a soprano and I cannot hit notes that low, but I just don't think that's true. Some days are better than others, some days I can even hit the a just below middle C without getting that reaction. I would really like to know what causes it. I have coffee sometimes in the morning and I think since I had some today it's really bad, can caffeine or milky substances really affect your voice in that way?

So, you know more than your teachers? They have typed you as a soprano and yet you want to hit a low note outside of your usable range? And wonder why it sounds less than full? I'm just asking to clarify. I could ask why you need a note that low. Is it the material you are trying to do? I get lots of heat for saying this but not every voice can sing everything. Some things are more suited for your voice than others. And there are plenty of people to tell me I am wrong.

Archived