Speech Singing

Rate this topic

Matt

So I havent really sung for about 9 months what with moving to a new city and stuff, but now Im slowly settling in, Ive started humming a bit again. Right now Im really enjoying speaking every syllable instead of "singing" it, every note I sing I try to speak at the correct note and prolong without changing anything (much) in my neck. Seems to be a good way of positioning things fairly correctly after long neglect.

Comments?

Ok, heres a quick example of speaking each note, since this thread remains almost unanswered.

Im trying to not "sing" each note, but to "speak" it out into the room. It's a comfortable place to sing from.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/a3vxda

Comments now?

i dont think there is one answer to this......

for instance if you have very bad speaking habits you obviously dont want to translate that to your singing.

if your singing something that requires a specific vocal effect or singing/acting a certain role it may not be the same as how you speak.

but for singing in general this is how i have been taught. to get more into the thinking of speech and less of the thinking of singers voice. this doesnt mean you literally speak ( a speaking style of singing has actually become quite popular over here in the UK with a couple of artists such as kate nash) but more that you just use your natural voice rather than trying to add tone and style. just let your natural tone and style that every voice has come out. this doesnt mean you cant play around a bit or a lot if you want and if your at that point technically where you can add lots of styling etc but you should at least know and understand your natural voice. i think it makes the act of singing easier and in general makes the tone more beautiful.

I come from a gospel singing background and mostly train church singers how to produce healthy gospel vocals.

Speech singing is not a popular gospel singing technique as gospel tends to be more about power and volume.

I was working with a new client last week and decided that i would start her from 'speaking' the song first , which i do not normally do. The results were immediate and i realised that starting her from this singing postion produced a more natural tone that i can build into power gospel vocals.

Is this speech singing, as i recognise some of the techniques mentioned above and i used without realising it could be speech singing?

What are the pros and con's of speech singing?

Dionne

www.sosvocaltrainingbeds.co.uk

So I havent really sung for about 9 months what with moving to a new city and stuff, but now Im slowly settling in, Ive started humming a bit again. Right now Im really enjoying speaking every syllable instead of "singing" it, every note I sing I try to speak at the correct note and prolong without changing anything (much) in my neck. Seems to be a good way of positioning things fairly correctly after long neglect.

Comments?

I wouldn't over think it Matt, if you got a song in your heart, sing! I've taken long breaks, when I first start back I'll cough a bit for a few days, it's like my chords don't like the air but after a few days I'm back. Have fun with it.

James

Speech singing is not a popular gospel singing technique as gospel tends to be more about power and volume.

I was working with a new client last week and decided that i would start her from 'speaking' the song first , which i do not normally do. The results were immediate and i realised that starting her from this singing postion produced a more natural tone that i can build into power gospel vocals.

Yeah, I notice an immediate, natural tone too. I also noticed how powerful the speaking voice is when doing this - if I speech sing in a loud speaking voice, it comes out as a surprisingly loud singing voice.

Rob, yeah that page sometimes seems to need to be refreshed for the link to pop up.

The recording is absolutely nothing special, but it demonstrates how I was actually trying to speak in key rather than sing, which was as comfortable as just speaking, yet it sounds like reasonably strong singing. It takes more physical effort when I try to sing that than when I speak that. It seems that starting off each note as speech rather than singing sets a less fussy and less over-complicated registration, at least for me. It also seems to move my voice further up and out of my throat to the front or middle of my head/face