James Hetfield

Rate this topic

rayven1lk

hey guys, i'm new to the forum, I heard about this through Robert Lunte's youtube channel and thought this might be a good place to get answers

anyways i'm really interested in the vocals done by James Hetfield through Master of Puppets to the Black album, he had that edgy growl to his voice. My questions is when he goes for his higher notes specially Enter Sandman, does he belt them? and did he have sloppy technique? because he eventually lost his voice on the tour lol

lookin forward to hearing from u guys

rayven, I invite you to watch the documentary "Some Kind of Monster." (I have seen it twice.)

It follows the progress of the band Metallica, and especially includes the inclusion of Hetfield's psychotherapist who followed them through the recording for the album "St. Anger" and the first part of the tour. In it, you will see Hetfield doing classical scales as a warm-up.

Granted, he was probably losing his voice earlier in life. But then, he sobered up, had some children, grew up, took responsibilty. (Cutting the hair had more to do with his own idea that middle-aged men should look cleaned up, than anything to do with anything else.) I say middle-aged because he and I are nearly the same age.

Anyway, he has taken voice lessons and follows his program religiously. It is what gives him the strength to do that signature growl of his. So, he has not lost his voice but undertook training to keep it.

James Hetfield is a baritone. I think, though, he is belting, somewhat, or carrying chest high when he scratches into the lower part of tenor.

He is a master at making a song his own. The first modern recording of "Whiskey in the Jar" was by Luke Kelly and the Dubliners and it was a tenor song. Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy dropped it a bit for his voice and Hetfield did likewise and Metallica borrowed heavily from the Thin Lizzy arrangement of that song.

See the progression of arrangement and the change of singers' timbre and temperment.