SLOW DOWN

• TMV World Legacy Member

Here is a song called Slow Down by Third Day. I was trying to work on singing all from the diaphragm on this tune to give it a gritty feel. Any suggestions to help move it along are always appreciated as I will be performing it this weekend.

Thanks,

Bud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE-UilUNTvM

Your pitch and tone is good. I like your tone. The only suggestion I would have is to have more energy if that makes sense? Project your voice more. But only if that doesn't affect your current way of singing in a negative way. In some parts you remind me of Eddie Vedder.

Your pitch and tone is good. I like your tone. The only suggestion I would have is to have more energy if that makes sense? Project your voice more. But only if that doesn't affect your current way of singing in a negative way. In some parts you remind me of Eddie Vedder.

Thanks much for the input and the constructive suggestion. This is a tough forum group to break into so your response is much appreciated.

Bud

Bud - sounds pretty good. A couple things that come to my mind. You're tone could be brightened easily by keeping a smile going while you are singing. For example - say the word "hey" loudly - see how your mouth goes wider and your cheekbones rise and your front teeth are exposed? Now say "No". The checks go down and the tone is much darker. If you try to keep the cheeks and teeth exposed you'll get a brighter tone, and smiling is the easiest way of doing this. Plus it will be appreciated by your audience. You need to practice this in front of a mirror.

The second thing is the tempo - the guitar intro is at one tempo, and when you start singing you speed up. Same thing in the middle of the song you all of a sudden start rushing. You may be doing this unconciously. If you rush it makes the audience nervous. Try rehearsing with a metronome - a lot - and relax.

Other than those things, I think you are on the right track. Good luck.

Bud - sounds pretty good. A couple things that come to my mind. You're tone could be brightened easily by keeping a smile going while you are singing. For example - say the word "hey" loudly - see how your mouth goes wider and your cheekbones rise and your front teeth are exposed? Now say "No". The checks go down and the tone is much darker. If you try to keep the cheeks and teeth exposed you'll get a brighter tone, and smiling is the easiest way of doing this. Plus it will be appreciated by your audience. You need to practice this in front of a mirror.

The second thing is the tempo - the guitar intro is at one tempo, and when you start singing you speed up. Same thing in the middle of the song you all of a sudden start rushing. You may be doing this unconciously. If you rush it makes the audience nervous. Try rehearsing with a metronome - a lot - and relax.

Other than those things, I think you are on the right track. Good luck.

Thanks much for taking the time to give such great and specific feedback on this as it will really help me move this song along and improve things. Great advice on the smile while singing suggestions !

Bud

Thanks much for the input and the constructive suggestion. This is a tough forum group to break into so your response is much appreciated.

Bud

It's not that it's a tough group to break into. It's a matter of material choice. They just aren't that much into folk guitar renditions, especially with a folk singer approach. You sing really well. But you would probably get more attention with "Rock You like Hurricane" or "Jack City Woman" then a Gordon Lightfoot style rendition of a Pearl Jam song.

I know, for I have posted songs that did not fall in the category of hard rock or heavy metal and chirping crickets was the response, so to speak.

There was even a young lady that posted an operatic aria and I was probably the only one to reply. Because I like all forms of music and I've got testicles made of stainless steel and am not afraid to "step out of bounds." Part of why I am on the highway to Hell ...

Speaking which, try that one on for size. It could be interesting ....

ronws, Thanks that is a good insight. I don't do much rock since I play an acoustic guitar but maybe some folk type music could be appreciated here as well. Vocals are vocals whether its folk or rock and I am simply looking for some constructive input to improve my signing.

I appreciate your response on this and that you took the time to clue me in,

Bud

ronws, Thanks that is a good insight. I don't do much rock since I play an acoustic guitar but maybe some folk type music could be appreciated here as well. Vocals are vocals whether its folk or rock and I am simply looking for some constructive input to improve my signing.

I appreciate your response on this and that you took the time to clue me in,

Bud

Not a problem. And most of my submissions are with me playing my cheapo acoustic folk guitar that I bought at a flea market in Kleburg, Texas for $40. Even though I have a Memphis Les Paul and a Hondo Flying V, a Roland GS-6 digital effects unit and a Fender 85 amp that puts out 200 watts rms. It's the approach. For example, one of my favorite covers of "Highway to Hell" is by a bluegrass band called Hayseed Dixie. They do bluegrass and country versions of AC/DC songs. They sing it about an octave lower but they play it faster.

So, rock on with the folk thing. I like what you do. But then, I am the odd one.

Archived