Critique my cover of shindown?

• TMV World Legacy Member

hey guys,

me and my friend made a cover of the song "call me" by shine down but with our own little take on it. He made the beat and i did the vocals, which is what brings me here. Brent smith is like... one of my biggest vocal inspirations of all time and one of the most talented singers I've ever heard, so it was definately a challenging track to live up to. Brent has such a dynamic and gritty sound to his voice, but my voice is more similar to Myles Kennedy of (alterbridge) i guess. So please by all means, let me know what you think of my tone, did i approach it in a good way? what do you think of the mix? i really appreciate the feedback!

• TMV World Legacy Member

Sounds like it was professionally mixed, maybe even some autotune or melodyne. Are you just fishing for compliments? Seriously, this is a radio-ready mix. What are you doing here?

Me, I I'm just an old fart that started recording about 1972 on my 5 inch reel to reel with a crappy little condenser mic. So, I am a bit analog and old school. But I liked your recording. Who mixed it? And on what equipment? What mics did you use? You mentioned your friend Mike did the "beat." Was that a synth drum?

Archived