A few bars of Led Zeppelin, thoughts?

I can't decide if I like this sound or not. It feels fine to sing this way if I maintain good support and stay open but how can I make it stronger? Or in general improve it? I feel like there's wasted breath and it sounds a bit falsetto-y. I'd like to fill it in and make it heavy.

It depends on what you are going for. You started out in head just fine, then dropped into chest a little too much and that is why you cracked that one note. Also, lose the h sound in the middle of the vowels. "Ro - holl" and "Stro - holl." Get rid of that "h." It's blocking the flow. Consonants should be at the beginning and ending of words. And aspirants, such as h, should be very light to non-existant and purely not needed in the words roll and stroll.

Your high notes have the sound you should have. I would invite you to listen again to the song. You could easily have the Robert Plant sound (you already have the look) if you maintain the breath support and let your voice get just a little lighter. And it didn't sound "falsetto-y" to me. Just a little strained and nasal when you tried dropping into chest. Let the sound get off of your throat and into your head.

Hey, srs, I didn't know you had a band. And you covered my favorite song from Green Day. Bravo!

Just now and then, here and there, it was a little pitchy because you were dropping your larynx so low and trying to sound like an operatic bass. Granted, I've seen you other video of arpeggios. And yes, you can vocalise low. But, I think, for this song and most of what you are doing, you should stay in tenor. I think that is your real range, with bass being kind of a "stunt" or an effect you can use to surprise the audience.

Super tight band and an excellent performance. You've the right kind of "stage presence."

Thanks guys I really appreciate it :)

My classical teacher trains me as a bass-baritone. He encourages me to sing in my head for everything and it does feel comfortable. I find that it doesn't affect the resonance so much either. It's brighter, but it's still a heavy low baritone sound. I don't think I could be a classical tenor.

This actually isn't my band, this is from a performance with Paul Green School of Rock Music. They accept students through high school but now that I've graduated I'm aged out. I'm teaching there at the moment.

Archived