Dr. Titze Demonstrates a Semi-Occluded Phonation Excercise

Robert Lunte

• Administrator

Hey TMV Vocal Athletes,

Here is a cool video by arguably the world's leading vocal research scientist, Dr. Ingo Titze. He demonstrates what we call a "semi-occluded" phonation which balances the sub-glottal (below) and super-glottal (above) air pressure around the vocal folds. Semi-occluded phonations are used in voice therapy and in singing technique. Lip trills and TVS resonant tracking (buzzing with lips together) are also forms of semi-occluded ponations.

Enjoy!

Hey TMV Vocal Athletes,

Here is a cool video by arguably the world's leading vocal research scientist, Dr. Ingo Titze. He demonstrates what we call a "semi-occluded" phonation which balances the sub-glottal (below) and super-glottal (above) air pressure around the vocal folds. Semi-occluded phonations are used in voice therapy and in singing technique. Lip trills and TVS resonant tracking (buzzing with lips together) are also forms of semi-occluded ponations.

Enjoy!

rob, thanks man....this is particularly relevant/beneficial to me, as i'm always having to talk a lot in my video store.

Nice. I've been messing around with a straw and I really feel it helps me with finding the right resonance. It also helps with brigding the passaggio, but in this particular video, in 1:23 - 1:30 it seems to me that Dr. Titze carries too much weight up there. Am I right?

• Administrator

Here is an article I wrote on the main site about semi-occluded phonations a few years ago, almost forgot to post this in there. The point of this for students of singing is, all those buzzing and lip bubbling warm-ups you have been doing in your voice training are called, "semi-occluded" phonations. Voice teachers on every street corner around the globe are making their students make these sounds, but I noticed that nobody has bothered to explain to students what the purpose is, other than, "its your warm-up". For me, that is not acceptable. I do not just do things because everyone else is and because somebody told me to without question. Apart from the fact that teachers and students alike, should know what the purpose is. I hope to educate the consumers a bit on this with this article.

http://www.themodernvocalist.com/profiles/blogs/vocal-warmups-or-semioccluded#

Hope this helps explain why your teacher is making you blow "raspberries" before your voice lessons... and while your at it, why don't you tell your voice teacher why your doing it as well as its likely they really don't know either, other than, "it's your warm up!".

:rolleyes:

Archived