Aerosmith - Dream On Cover (Felipe Carvalho)

• TMV World Legacy Member

I really enjoyed it. You seem to approach it in a more rock way than the original (or at least, than what I've heard of this song), which is fun. Without those highs, it's not the same, but on the other hand, you put your soul in it, and it shows.

Why aren't days 32 hours long ? <_<

Nice work, man! You have lots of potential. But could it be that you sometimes open your mouth too much or have some jaw and throat tension? Maybe protrude your jaw and tighten your lips?

Such a thing can cause tension in your throat - making singing harder than it should be. In fact, it's one of the 3 basic principles in CVT, the others being sufficient twang and breath support. So try doing the same thing WITHOUT doing it and see what happens.

One of the cd's I have is called "Not the Same Old Song and Dance." It's an album of other artists doing covers of songs by Aerosmith. "Dream On" was covered by Ronnie James Dio. And it was the same arrangement as this. Well done.

Nice. I liked it. Where was the high notes "dream on...." ??? :)

Thanks man! Glad that you liked :D

Well, honestly, I tried to record the highs, and I didnt like the outcome (sucked badly :P) so my choice was to use the same Dio did in his version.

My highs are still not usefull to this point. A lot of work ahead of me to get there.

I really enjoyed it. You seem to approach it in a more rock way than the original (or at least, than what I've heard of this song), which is fun. Without those highs, it's not the same, but on the other hand, you put your soul in it, and it shows.

Thanks for listenning man. Sorry for the highs, they are quite important on the song, but still out of my resources. Really cool that you enjoyed it :D.

Nice work, man! You have lots of potential. But could it be that you sometimes open your mouth too much or have some jaw and throat tension? Maybe protrude your jaw and tighten your lips?

Thank You! Both for listenning and for the tips :D. Ill keep them in mind when practicing.

About the open mouth, I actually used it as a resource to give a different feel on the first 2 soft verses both before and after the first chorus. I did try to keep everything forward first, but it sounded lame on the recording context. I reccon its not good to use live though, quite demanding, still I can get away with it if I use just on the very first two and dont open it so much.

Ill be honest though, I didnt expect someone to notice it :D. Are you a coach? You mentioned CVT, what is it? (I am learning with a coach that uses classical technique, Im not familiar with it)

(I am learning with a coach that uses classical technique, Im not familiar with it)

Got to say it kinda shows too.

CVT stands for " Complete Vocal Technique ", which is a book written by Kathrin Sadolin (with audio samples) that aims at understanding and developping the voice through natural sounds. As most modern methods, it uses modes. It is also distinct because it leaves the troublesome " passagio " out of the equation. It's a recommended read, even if just for intellectual purposes, as you would understand a lot of things about your voice. It also covers vowel modifications (they are part of the modes), which is cool.

Why aren't days 32 hours long ? <_<

One of the cd's I have is called "Not the Same Old Song and Dance." It's an album of other artists doing covers of songs by Aerosmith. "Dream On" was covered by Ronnie James Dio. And it was the same arrangement as this. Well done.

Exactly! Thanks for the review man!

Got to say it kinda shows too.

CVT stands for " Complete Vocal Technique ", which is a book written by Kathrin Sadolin (with audio samples) that aims at understanding and developping the voice through natural sounds. As most modern methods, it uses modes. It is also distinct because it leaves the troublesome " passagio " out of the equation. It's a recommended read, even if just for intellectual purposes, as you would understand a lot of things about your voice. It also covers vowel modifications (they are part of the modes), which is cool.

I checked the material, it looks quite good. Ill read through it and let you know, but so far it sounds all very similar to what Ive been working on, including the passagio. Even the twang sounds prety much the same we achieve with the italian EE forward focus.

Still, I am willing to believe that the method does not encourage people to do it on their on from the ground with just the book and the audio, does it?

Archived