Is this guy singing mostly in chest voice?

Rate this topic

numba1

Arnel Pineda - One of my favorite singers. Is he singing this song mostly in chest voice (oh I mean for Open Arms)? This guy has a very strong and loud voice. Is he singing completely from his throat? It sounds like it. Is this what you guys mean by the boomy voice and not sounding like a girl? Because I've seen some people try to sing this song and they go right into head voice and it sounds very girly high. Is this what the twangy exercises help develop? This guy always put on a show. His vocals just blow me away. Does he have good technique? Let me know. Thanks a lot!

He uses a lot of breath support and the correct vowels so he can't sing the high notes (most of the A4s in the chorus) in chest voice, pretty much. But I wouldn't call it coming from his throat, because it's likely that he experiences the high notes coming more from his head. I think you'll hear James Lugo use some similar in some of his songs, as an example. This is a stylistic choice, btw. And in other songs, Arnel uses more distinct twang to get his high notes. Yes, twang can help a lot to put power into your high notes. My 5 cents.

Arnel Pineda - One of my favorite singers. Is he singing this song mostly in chest voice (oh I mean for Open Arms)? This guy has a very strong and loud voice. Is he singing completely from his throat? It sounds like it. Is this what you guys mean by the boomy voice and not sounding like a girl? Because I've seen some people try to sing this song and they go right into head voice and it sounds very girly high. Is this what the twangy exercises help develop? This guy always put on a show. His vocals just blow me away. Does he have good technique? Let me know. Thanks a lot!

numba, good question!

here's a chance to really get a handle on a truly "blended" voice. a voice who's high notes are in head register but he has the skill and strength to bring in the chest just enough. (this is a guy with many years of training behind him.) i actually emailed him via youtube way before journey picked him up, because i wanted to tell how much I liked his survivor cover. he confirmed he has been singing all his life.

but here's the key..if you listen very critically (like i do a lot lately) to his vowels/vowel shading note how he sets himself up by picking the exact vowel/vowel shade to resonate through the roof every time. and notice how he downplays the consonants! he is a skilled vocalist.

listen to how he sings the word "open" as one example at 3:12 and thoughout the song notice how he stays up in head working the breath to the back and up behind the soft palate to get the resonance pockets to ring like nobody's business.

also, note he also drops the key from time to time because there's a big relief for most of us, when you know there's a b flat to deal with instead of a b natural...lol!!!

You could explain it with tons of words like that, Bob, or you could just say that he's singing the song mostly in overdrive (CVT) ;) . Ok, I'll stop, I promise. But note that other vocal coaches would have very similar answers - just learn from them and you'll be able to do it (eventually). Although not nearly every vocal coach will be able to deliver that promise.