Iron Maiden - Powerslave

Howdy, cowboys!

I was in the mood for acting out my darker persona and did a little something with powerslave.

However, I would like to type something about it before you listen!

I don't mean to be pretentious, but I wanted my singing to be more intricate and interesting, so I incorporated four major personas (which I feel would suit a narcissistic, megalomaniac tyrant) with a special timbre to them.

1. The serpent: A razorsharp, whiplashy sound.

2. The demon: A quasi-growlish sound.

3. The wicked man: Can't explain it, but it's an unorthodox sound. Rather twangy, I think! (listen to the end of "horus")

4. The powerful human: A distorted, full voice sound.

My "normal" voice gets through at times and its hard to keep track of the melody with all the changes in my voice, but are you able to distinguish the four sounds?

If so, are they too much? I mean, do I need to make it more subtle because it lacks flow?

I don't have a very good mick and I just got the first verse (the phone called and when I was done, my "feeling" was gone ;P), but I hope you can get what I'm getting at anyway!

http://www.box.net/shared/vvzv5cr2eqbk08e5flz0

You're free to type mean things too... IF they're true! That will probably get me to work harder. Haha!

Take care!

I couldn't detect all the influences you listed but, in my opinion, it doesn't matter. What matters is that those influences help you sing the song the way that you want to sing it. I

t's called sub-text. As in, what is your mental interpretation of the song. For example, when I sing "Gethsemane," even in practice, I, Ron, am in the Garden, contemplating my fate and the horrendous ordeal that is waiting for me and asking why any of it is necessary. A petulant child who finally resigns to accept what the Father decides is best.

I couldn't detect all the influences you listed but, in my opinion, it doesn't matter. What matters is that those influences help you sing the song the way that you want to sing it. I

t's called sub-text. As in, what is your mental interpretation of the song. For example, when I sing "Gethsemane," even in practice, I, Ron, am in the Garden, contemplating my fate and the horrendous ordeal that is waiting for me and asking why any of it is necessary. A petulant child who finally resigns to accept what the Father decides is best.

Encouraging words! Thank you!

To be frank, it's the first time I've really gone all the way, so to speak, regarding sub-text.

It was fun and gave my singing another dimension, but apparently just to me... but, as you said, it doesn't really matter.

A lesson I'll take to heart.

Take care!

I like your tone. It is absolutely different from the voice of Iron Maiden, by it's suitable for such songs. The backing track is too bad because of distortion, mine is too :)

Thank you kindly, Jugulator! :)

Yeah, I'm trying to get my own sound. Nothing wrong with trying to sound like someone else, just not my cup of tea!

Haha! Crappy sound is something I will have to live with since I've got no means to acquire proper instrumentals... but on the bright side, the backing track blends nicely with my cheap, horrible headset-mick! ;P

Point being, Enander, you did a good version of it. You had these images and influences in your mind and they gave you the drive to make a powerful recording, equipment limitations aside. Well done.

Singing is mental.

Very cool! Maybe it´s a little too many styles to incorporate into a song but when practising and "fooling around" i guess it´s very beneficial for your singing. All the different grit styles sounded very well, good job!

Point being, Enander, you did a good version of it. You had these images and influences in your mind and they gave you the drive to make a powerful recording, equipment limitations aside. Well done.

Singing is mental.

Thank you very much! :) I'm a poor student, but I'm getting a much better mic quite soon! Should be fun!

And yes, singing sure has a huge mental aspect to it. I believe it's what puts the subtle things in one's singing.

I've just recently entered a state where I can "put my heart" into my singing (not much, but some). Previously I've lacked the skills to do it even remotely.

Very cool! Maybe it´s a little too many styles to incorporate into a song but when practising and "fooling around" i guess it´s very beneficial for your singing. All the different grit styles sounded very well, good job!

Haha! Yeah, I kinda knew it was a little over the top, but as you pointed out, I believe it's good practice to variegate the sound... and it is pretty fun too! :P

Also, I think it's great that you thought my "grit" was good! It's something I've been practicing a lot. Still a long way to go, but perhaps I'm on right track then :)

Archived