Aftermath - could use a little help on this Adam Lambert song

over supported falsetto almost sounds like an oxymoron, as in mutually contradicting terms, 8. And many is the person to assume that a note above about E5 is "falsetto" because there is a tonal shift (that is the leggiero range) and it is not falsetto but there is also an absence of "chest" at that point.

I know, right! lol. I guess I'll record me doing that and post it on here so you guys can maybe tell me what I'm doing - cause I don't know..

I'd love to sing that high lol - also, I'd love to know how to change my user name to something that doesn't suck ! my highest note is actually pretty high, but i'm sure it's just over supported falsetto - it takes a ton of breath for me to hit it... Comparatively, if you listen to "screaming in Digial" by queensryche, I can sing that song. The very last few words kill me - take all of my air. And I can't always hit that note either. I haven't really been singing long enough to be able to know what I have for limitations - but old Queensryche and Helloween are the ranges that I would aspire to.

I think your user name is pretty sweet... you should add a pic though, make yourself more personable

What I'm having difficulty with is when the phrase starts on a high note above C5 - I have a hard time hitting the notes consistently. I have to do multiple takes to get these phrases to sound good. I won't be satisfied until I can sing these phrases good 10 out of 10 times. I'm probably 5 out of 10 now. I find if I can hit the first note correctly, the rest of the phrase falls into place.

I've made up exercises for these phrases, but it is still difficult. Especially the "in" word. That vowel is hard for me to hit up at Db5 or Eb5.

Hi, Geno. This was an enjoyable track to listen to. I can certainly relate to the desire to bring the higher notes into a more predictable situation.

A few thoughts based on what I heard in the song, and what you say you are after:

1) When you have a difficult vowel/note combination, like 'in' up high, and searching for exactly the right shading of the vowel, take the word down an octave and do a spectrum analysis of it real-time while you glide smoothly between the related vowel shades, and not forgetting the schwa, and Uh.

2) Sometimes a small change in the mouth opening more or less downward, or even sideways, will make a big difference in the resonance structure of the vowel.

3) A resonant vowel, even if sung very lightly in that range, will convert better to full-voice than one that is just a bit off. Singing lightly while you experiment (do a recording of yourself singing a series of vowels on that note, and see which one(s) peak the VU meter) will help you find the best. Then, sing that pronunciation down low and siren it up easily. When you can siren it, release it on top and onset it a few times.

4) Sometimes consonant/vowel combinations just before a tricky note are the culprit. Look for notes without vibrato, or a particularly airy or constricted consonant just before the note with the issue.

I hope this helps.

Steven - thanks for the advice. At first I had to modify "in" to "een" - that seemed to get me there. Why is that? Lower, like E4 to B4 I convert "ee" the other way toward "eh" or "in", but up higher it goes the other way.

I think there must be some ESP going on here. On the way home from work I was thinking about your freqency analysis and wondering if I should set up a real tme freqency analysis on my laptop so I could analyze while I'm singing.

In your point #3 - I've been doing some of what you are suggesting. Is it generally good to practice tough passages in a light phonation first before moving on to full volume?

Steven - thanks for the advice. At first I had to modify "in" to "een" - that seemed to get me there. Why is that? Lower, like E4 to B4 I convert "ee" the other way toward "eh" or "in", but up higher it goes the other way.

I think there must be some ESP going on here. On the way home from work I was thinking about your freqency analysis and wondering if I should set up a real tme freqency analysis on my laptop so I could analyze while I'm singing.

In your point #3 - I've been doing some of what you are suggesting. Is it generally good to practice tough passages in a light phonation first before moving on to full volume?

guitartrek: The modifications you use depend on where you are in the range, the desired vowel, and your particular voice. Some vowels just cannot be sung well on certain notes... so we substitute something close that is acceptable to the listener's ear, and that sounds well. The beauty and solidity of the tone is accepted as 'right' by the listener's ear, since its the best that your voice can produce there.

Real-time analysis is very useful for solving the 'tricky-note' situation, but IMO less useful for all the time analysis. Once you get your ear and body tuned to the resonance effects, you can do it without the tool.

Yep, especially when seeking the right vowel for a tricky note, starting light is a help. There is no good reason to practice straining... it just reinforces the bad technique.

I hope this helps.

Hello folks I have been reading for quite a while and I respect every ones expert opinion.

I have my tracks I have uploaded on links I really badly need some encouragement

about what i need to do to improve my tone, get is it a rasp or twang quality.

pliz be my judges I need you help.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cb02b4041bcoe17

http://www.mediafire.com/?jotszudzfhj6rlz:)

Santa - I listened and the recordings are great. You've got a nice voice and what I like is that your rhythm / timing / phrasing is spot on. You should post a new thread with your songs so more people will listen.

• 3 months later...

Sorry to necro this thread, but I just wanted to say good job on this. Lambert, IMHO, is one of the most talented vocalists out there today, and you did an excellent job covering this. I've seen the videos of him doing this in concert and he does take a more 'light' approach to some of the sections. The version I dig most of this tune is what he did on American Idol, he really just powered through the whole thing and it kicked ass. I think he was telling the contestants "Keep working, kids" :)

mrloud - thanks a lot. I agree with you about Lambert. No matter what style you like his technique and his artistic expression is world class. I read an interview with his vocal coach for his tour and he made Adam change two of the most difficult songs for the tour, either by bringing down the key and / or lightening up, and of course this is one of the song they did that too. In the american idol performance he does those incredible licks towards the end.

I'm still working on this song. It is one of those songs that may take a year or more to truly master.

Archived