Head voice and bridging

Rate this topic

D.Starr

I was wondering if I was to work on my head voice more and strengthen it, would it make bridging easier as I'd be more stable making that head tone and not flipping into falsetto. With that stronger head voice I could then go on to working the bridging from chest to head.

I know it's something I have to work on, but it is draining my moral to sing when I'm going through Pillars 2.0 and hitting a break or the head one is just not strong enough and going for a deeper placement makes me quacky/witchy. I know that there are things to help me reach that area with the onset and phonation package Rob speaks of and I know that having a lesson would help me further, but money is very tight at the moment and I need something to help me get a little further whilst I earn enough money.

Yeah, I think so. You're probably bridging to hard, start off easy, and once you can bridge lightly, increase power. Also, at higher volumes, the voice has to lighten up (more noticeably than when it's at a low volume) when going through the passagio. With practice this will become less noticeable.

Very simple. As you're bridging, you have to do several things at once. This is true for all the several different types of bridging techniques. You are only doing SOME of those things. Which ones you are leaving out is hard to tell without hearing you, but since you mentioned that you're flipping into falsetto, you might not being doing twang correctly (and in a relaxed manner). You might also be too loud. Or perhaps too soft (less likely but a chance). And it might be related to your breathing. I suggest that you, when your starting out with this stuff, to use less energy into breathing than more. See where that leads you and then try to use more effort. A lot of people oversupport to begin with and get all tense up. These are just some things you can immedially try out. Good luck!

I've been told I have twang in my voice naturally on some words I say. I do find that I loose that sort of buzz I have in my voice the higher I go up. I don't wanna quack and keep that quack noise in my upper range.

I know that my volume does increase as I approach F4/G4 and if I try and hold back that volume I either strain and constrict my neck or get too airy in my voice.

As I try and do the lift up pull back from a G3 and simply float to falsetto and an airy sound like Rob says, and at times I can successfully transition in head voice, which is a little weak. From there I guess I have to darken the vowel and twang more, but I need to find this twang configuration. I can quack on G4 and broaden and darken it a lil to sound more boomy. But hitting it each time is difficult, which I appreciate.

As for support I just generally try to keep the rib cage expanded and let my abs work it on their own.

I've been doing NG scales a lot lately and can find head voice quite easily, but when doing scales away from sirens, I find it difficult and know that I simply just need to learn how to get into head voice, I just find it very weak around F4/G4.

I've probably answered most of my question to my problems in that little post, the only problem is I have no idea on exercises to work on it andhow to configure it. I am very very very low on cash to even consider lessons.