Where do you get your backing tracks?

WildStringdom

Everyone knows a good backing track can be very helpful to practice and develop technique. There seem to be a lot of ways to get (or make) good backing tracks, be it from websites, using software, or by asking your band to lay something down for you. Just curious what resources people out there use to get good backing tracks for practice.

There are always lesser known songs by my favorite vocalists that I wish I could practice to. I am especially interested in any good software/techniques people are aware of for effectively removing vocals from an existing song. This seems to be a common problem for vocalists.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. Lately, I have gotten into scouring YouTube for resources. Your suggestions were helpful, 8DACDDDE. In terms of buying karaoke MP3s on iTunes or Amazon, I've been running into 2 problems:

1) A lot of the songs I would like to practice simply aren't popular enough to have a karaoke version

2) Its hard to find good karaoke tracks that don't sound cheesy

With respect to (2), has anybody out there found a particularly good "karaoke artist" that makes good/non-cheesy backing tracks?

One additional comment I wanted to throw in... there seem to be a lot of Progressive Metal fans out there. So, I wanted to share this gem that I found on YouTube. Its a spot-on cover of Dream Theater's "Metropolis Part I" with no vocals. I have found this very useful and have incorporated it into my practices lately. Its basically like having Dream Theater in my practice room with me. Enjoy! :)

I've got a free youtube ripper program. It will take any youtube video and save it to an mp3. So, I just google "songtitle" karaoke youtube. Go to that page. Then go back to my desktop and launch the ripper. Copy the youtube page addy in and bada bing, bada boom, backing track.

Or, I play my guitar and sing at the same time (my comfort zone and easier on the timing, especially with the track slippage in Audacity.)

Archived