How to warm up and how long to practice ?

Rate this topic

Oliver

Can you guys please "spoon feed" me. Link me a video or text of a exact warm up, what to do exactly cause on youtube I only found lots of talk and like 1-2 warm up excercises per video. And how long should I practice daily and what to do ? I can't aford singing lessons right now, I'm form a small town and we don't have singing lessons and in the nearby town there is 1 person who gives them and 1 hour costs 5 % of my brothers monthly pay check and he has a pretty good job with university education, so yeah they are expansive plus the transportation cost.

However in another big town there are cheaper lessons and when I get a job I'll go there possibly on weekends , staying at friends places but it's ar away so the transport cost is relatively high but well I'm serious about music. Maybe I'll fidn cheaper ones somewhere near by but I'll search more once I'm actualy employed.

I read that Amy Lee form Evanescence didn't take lessons , is that ture ? her voice is amazing.

Right now my practice consits of singing youtube karaoke videos and recording it then listening how it sounds, analysing it. What else can / should I do ? I also sing just lyrics from google.

My microphone sucks it's a shure 48 and I suspect it's a bit damaged by now. Does mic make a big difference ? It sounds noisy and breathy. A friends friend has a home studio so I wanna practice some more and record something, a few remix songs for youtube of popular songs there. Another friend has a camera and I like to edit, so I wanna make a nice video. But well my voice has to improve a lot.

/ didn't spell check sorry if there are many typos ;)

If an artist gets signed to a major label, it's safe to say that they've had SOME vocal instruction or coaching. A record label is making taking a risk in giving out a deal, because they are basically making an investment (in the artist). It's no secret why singers/bands who are very good manage to get REALLY good within a few years of being signed with a label. If you get signed, are you going to say that you don't want to work with the best songwriters, producers, engineers, management, etc? Of course not.

So don't believe this bs when a professional, signed singer says they've had no vocal help :)

... Lee took classical piano lessons for nine years.

Her family moved to many places, including Florida and Illinois, and eventually settled in Little Rock, Arkansas, where Evanescence started. She briefly attended Middle Tennessee State University to study music theory and composition and later dropped out to focus on Evanescence.

In an interview on AOL Music, Lee said that the first songs she remembered writing were called "Eternity of the Remorse" and "A Single Tear". The first was written when she was eleven years old and wanted to become a classical composer, and the second was for an assignment when she was in the eighth grade.

So ... she had been coached since an early age - showing promise ... As she was composing, she would have been likely singing words too. And as Dad - John Lee, was the lead guitarist in the John Lee and Hard Luck band - music / singing wasn't far away.

and it appears to be the case too - She was involved in school choir from age 12 through high school and attended regional and state competitions

Remember; Lee co-founded the rock band Evanescence with guitarist Ben Moody. The two met at a youth camp after Moody heard Lee singing a song while playing on the piano - Meat Loaf's "I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That)".

Just found this too - interview with her dad, "CK: I finally get to ask the inevitable question: what’s life like with a famous daughter in the house?

JL: We’ve always surrounded Amy with music…I don’t want to force anything on anyone, but I’ve always exposed my kids to music…Amy’s a writer…she’s always been fascinated with recording and writing ….(after attending school and working towards a music career)...one of the band’s demos landed on the desk of an exec at Wind-Up Records" ... Need we say more where that went :-)

Ah ok cool. Well what should I do, now we got Amy out of the way. What about me ? How should I practice ? Is there maybe a classic vocal excercise cd to buy online that is considered super legit ? So now I got the notion I NEED help, profesional help, well for now $ is the issue. Glad to see people here like Evanescence too but well what about me, please help :=) . How do I need to practice until I can afford professional help.

How should I practice? Answering that would probably take a whole book because of how long the answer would be. First option - just PLAY around with your voice every day, not caring TOO much how it sounds - just have fun. This is if you have NO money to spend on vocal studies. However, if you REALLY want to be good you have to ask yourself if spending a bit of your cash in vocal lessons or programs isn't simply WORTH it. Skip a few pizzas and put aside money each months for a while. Then try out one of the many vocal programs you get purchase online, or go see a vocal instructor who you have a good feeling about, either in your town or via Skype.

How should I practice? Answering that would probably take a whole book because of how long the answer would be. First option - just PLAY around with your voice every day, not caring TOO much how it sounds - just have fun. This is if you have NO money to spend on vocal studies. However, if you REALLY want to be good you have to ask yourself if spending a bit of your cash in vocal lessons or programs isn't simply WORTH it. Skip a few pizzas and put aside money each months for a while. Then try out one of the many vocal programs you get purchase online, or go see a vocal instructor who you have a good feeling about, either in your town or via Skype.

Hey bro I'm broke as hell, zero income. I live with my parents and brother in our house but well my dad has some retired income (you know after you stop working) and my brothers has his monthly pay check. I don't pay going out bills too often as my friends who work pay them mostly, I pick up the bill too of course. And I don't buy any luxury, today dropped the sweete in favour of healthier eating, wanna look like a singer too. My brother is gonna go for 2 more years of university so that is expensive and he has his girlfriend so not much money left for me, and I don't ask for any since it's his income. I'm trying to find a job but it's hard, 6000 people town. During the summer I can find a job at the beach for sure and I'll do it, this summer I screwed up - personal & private reasons. I would love to work and spend it ALL on music but till I land a job I have to work with basicaly free resources. Yes I experiment and sing around. Vocal prgrams ? Can you give me a link, I wanna sing r&b and pop. Rapping I practice on my own. If it's no too expansive I can get my familiy to pay for me. Or are there any great DVD's that teach singing excercises ? I'm kinda lost in the huge world wide web and direct links would be HIGHLY apreciated.

you have a ton of free information on youtube.

go on and type "breathing for singers" for starters and then sort by most watched...

youtube is full of good videos....you'll have to use your judgement as to who is creditable.

sit there and watch the videos. my suggestion? watch breathing and basic posture videos first.

No one has answered Oliver's question. And there may be no definitive answer as each individual voice is difference. Would it help if I said practice 2 minutes of stretching the voice with funny voices and sirens? Then, 28 minutes of scales using exactly 38.54 percent of your lung capacity? Even if such exact measurements were possible, it would simply lead to other questions.

I totally get the begin broke part. Well, where are you getting information on scales and exercises? From books in the public library? I did a long time ago. What do those books say?

Generally, most guides and suggestions I have read suggest between 30 minutes and 1 hour of warm-up and practice. What is warm-up? How about sinmply making notes at a comfortable pitch and volume for a few minutes. Then work on some scales, when you first start, vocalises (sub-melodies where the starting note ascends or descends a scale) later. After 30 minutes, give it a rest. Do some dishes, take a shower, whatever. Then, come back and a sing whatever song you want to work on.

Oh yeah, and feel the note in your head. If you don't feel it there, it's probably crashing.

If you're gonna eschew programs/lessons for a few months, you may as well practice by singing songs. More importantly you should keep recording yourself and listen to your tone, pitch, articulation, and this seemingly new and daunting sound that is your overall voice... something completely different than what people would imagine just singing carefree. You seem to have a better grasp on this than I do, though!

I'm guilty in that I don't record myself often. The result can be like getting your metaphorical heart torn out, but it's imperative to your development and confidence. Once you get good instruction, you will be able to sing songs better, not just scales. For me recording the voice is like looking directly into the metaphorical (again) devil's eyes.

I'm also getting a job to pay for lessons (in addition to many other music-related things). So you're not alone on that one.

I read that Amy Lee form Evanescence didn't take lessons , is that ture ? her voice is amazing.

Another case of great talent wasted on horrible horrible music. Harangue me all you wants guys, I can respect her talent but the racket they all make is intolerable for me. Just focus on yourself and don't compare... we're all different/unique in the voice department.

Oliver - I'll describe what I found to work well for me - maybe you can get ideas:

1) Warmups - I use the KTVA warmup which involves semi-occluded vowels - which are great because they restrict airflow - acclimating the folds to efficient singing. Scales and arpeggios throughout my entire range with these vowels. Takes me only a few minutes.

2) Exercises - After those warm-ups I go into specific exercises that I'm trying to master. I usually only have time to do about 4 or 5 of these. They are collections of KTVA exerices, CVT exercizes, and execsizes I made up for a particular song. You can get a lot of these on Youtube. Check Brett Manning and SLS - there are dozens out there- and a lot of these programs use very similar if not the same exercises. Just pick ones that you like and then try to master them. It may take you weeks or months. The main thing is you do the same ones every day - just go through your entire range once with the exercise - This is a long term thing and it is slow going. It takes a while to notice improvement so don't get discouraged - just keep at it. If you get sick of an exercise then pick a new one.

3) Songs

hey thanks guys for all the input. What I'm taking form here is to warm up 20 minutes just doing light notes, in any way I can think of. Then sing songs for + 1 hour. I always record and analyse myself and think about it, try to make it better and experiment. I see now my biggest issue is that I'm alone on this, boooored. I need to motivate myself, well everyone has some situation and if you can't motivate yourself then say goodbye to oyur dreams your own fault. I would post my dialy practice, snipets, here but I got this stupid shure 48 mic that makes me sound so noice that I don't like it all. Though luck motherf*cker hehe. Well well I gotta make this my priority kind of, wwake up, eat healthy, brush tetteh, practice for that 1 and a half hour or more then I'm free. I'm so lazy to warm up then my vocie hurts a bit singing and that is of coruse awfull for the long run hmm. I should visit this friends friends studio to get motviation and record a bit but what if they think I suck and don't let me come anymore that would be wellll.... bad. No point on whining about it, however I feel like my lack of motivation coems form doing ti all alone, being alone in front of the computer and not sharing anything with anyone is not that fun, humans are social beings. Well well cry me a river mofo. I should make some youtube videos BUT my friend has a camera and he pisses me that F+ck of, he almsot never has time to record and is being annyoing with his opinions, at times discouraging or making fun of it or giving me his unhelpfull input. I need a job like asap, I would get a camera and make a youtube chanell just for practice that would motivate me to sing everyday and at weekends go to Zagreb and take a few lessons. Being unemployed and alone half day sucks heh. But well I'll get back to practice tomorrow and upload 1 or 2 singing files here and hope the mic doesn't make my singing much worse then it is.

However I am an hit expert and songwriting expert beleive it or not, self proclaimed. And I listened to your songs quitartek and got a question ; can you tell me of 1 band that got into the top 40 with that genre of rock music ? I don't even know that it is, maybe 70s glam rock , I have no clue about these genres so no offense of course.

ANd 1 big thing is : stop going to sherdog or thinknig about fighting or training as priority , that is the past and my brain needs to be open for music that's that. And my training is just to be healthy and better lookin for music, don't get carried away, improvement requires focus.

That is all for today fellow highly apreciated aspiring musicians. Again thanks for the input guys. / no spell check heh

Oliver - good luck to you - try to keep motivated. You asked about my music - I don't know what the hell genre it is either - I didn't try to make it fit a genre. I come from a bunch of different genres - I have 3 albums of instrumental progressive rock music ala Vai / Satriani / DT / etc. The last bunch of songs were my first attempt at Vocal rock music. I'm not trying to break into the top 40 with those songs - they all have some shredding guitar solos which aren't really marketable. It's just stuff I like. My next stuff will be more on like Shinedown or Skillet which is more marketable, and not worlds apart from my current stuff. But even that style is not top 40 like my daughters listen to.

About your mic - I have a couple Sure Beta58's and used to one to record my voice. But my voice sounded like crap. What I found out - it wasn't the mic and it wasn't my voice. It was the room. Standing waves can ruin a recording and give you a false reading on your voice. For years I thought that my voice was crappy and it really wasn't something I should pursue. Just saying - check out the room you use to record in. There are things you can do that don't cost anything to get rid of standing waves.

• Administrator

Proper warm-up routine should include semi-occluded phonations to balance sub & super glottal phonation threshold pressure, sirens to calibrate the timing and placement of your register bridging and onsets to make sure all the components of your phonation package are in order. This is what we offer and more in our "Building A Foundation: Lectures, Warm-Ups & Workouts" package at TVS.

Hope this helps...

Hey, Oliver, time for some tough love, so to speak. What I read in your last post is pitiful excuses. Pardon my language but, grow a pair.

98 percent of singers have to work at it. "Too lazy" to do any ground work and just want to start out like a world class singer? Looking for the magic "spoon-fed" pill? Ain't gonna happen, doesn't exist. You don't need a camera, you don't need you problematic friend. Start out with the cheapest mic you can find that can connect to the computer you obviously already have. Upload the sound file to a free site like some of us use. Like dropbox or box.net.

I may sound mean, but ask anyone, I am probably the most supportive person you will meet here. So, if you really want help, you've got to take the suggestions to heart. Bored and alone? Welcome to the life of a singer. It's like playing golf, or guitar, or riding a skateboard. It takes some time learning, making mistakes. All the guitar players I have known, including myself, couldn't wait to get back to our rooms for some "boring, alone" time to practice something. Our problem was not enough time in the day to do that, what with school work, chores around the house, taking a shower, eating something to avoid starving, because all we could think about was working on our craft of music.

So, ask yourself, do you really want to sing? If you do, there is no "boring, alone" time. There is singing time, and everything else that gets in the way of singing time.

You decide.

Proper warm-up routine should include semi-occluded phonations to balance sub & super glottal phonation threshold pressure..

Rob, would you mind explaining what "semi-occluded phonations" are? Is this the same as the semi-occluded vowels that guitartrek mentioned?

• Administrator

Rob, would you mind explaining what "semi-occluded phonations" are? Is this the same as the semi-occluded vowels that guitartrek mentioned?

I don't know what guitartrek was talking about... but here is my public, folder I created for TMV discussions. Why don't I just be generous and let you guys hear an audio lecture I did on this topic.

Click Here:

What Are Semi-Occluded Phonations?

https://thevocaliststudio.box.net/shared/static/sek6566ovs4qkn29q2m4.mp3

What Is The Intrinsic Anchoring Set?

https://thevocaliststudio.box.net/shared/static/qkxecyic7idyo6rp10nm.mp3

Hope this helps...

Both of these lectures are beta from "The Four Pillars of Singing" 2.0:

http://www.thevocaliststudiostore.com/The-Four-PIllars-of-Singing-20_c_34.html

Hope this helps...

Yeah - Robert's semi occluded phonations is a better sounding name for what I'm talking about. These would be singing on "V" or a lip roll, etc. They restict and compress the air flow. Roberts got a cooler explanation - "to balance sub & super glottal phonation threshold pressure".

About your mic - I have a couple Sure Beta58's and used to one to record my voice. But my voice sounded like crap. What I found out - it wasn't the mic and it wasn't my voice. It was the room. Standing waves can ruin a recording and give you a false reading on your voice. For years I thought that my voice was crappy and it really wasn't something I should pursue. Just saying - check out the room you use to record in. There are things you can do that don't cost anything to get rid of standing waves.

Standing waves are generally the result of perfect or close to perfectly parellel ceilings/ floors/ and walls to walls. Bare walls and hard uncarpeted floors also. Studios have tapered ceilings and not perfect walls - along with carpet on the floors- to help with this issue. If you can talk in your room (without a mic) and you don't hear any light reverb on your voice, then this prolly isnt the issue.

"Standing waves are also observed in physical media such as strings and columns of air. Any waves traveling along the medium will reflect back when they reach the end. This effect is most noticeable in musical instruments where, at various multiples of a vibrating string or air column's natural frequency, a standing wave is created, allowing harmonics to be identified"

I don't know what guitartrek was talking about... but here is my public, folder I created for TMV discussions. Why don't I just be generous and let you guys hear an audio lecture I did on this topic.

Click on this link and listen to the file, "What Is Resonant Tracking". There is another lecture called, "Intrinsic Anchoring" you guys might enjoy as well.

http://thevocaliststudio.com/tutorials-and-sample-phonations/

Both of these lectures are beta from "The Four Pillars of Singing" 2.0:

http://www.thevocaliststudiostore.com/The-Four-PIllars-of-Singing-20_c_34.html

Hope this helps...

I can'get them to play. Asi es la vida I guess.

• Administrator

I can'get them to play. Asi es la vida I guess.

Hey 8 DAC, here you go, I think I fixed the links better:

Click Here:

What Are Semi-Occluded Phonations?

https://thevocaliststudio.box.net/shared/static/sek6566ovs4qkn29q2m4.mp3

What Is The Intrinsic Anchoring Set?

https://thevocaliststudio.box.net/shared/static/qkxecyic7idyo6rp10nm.mp3

Hope this helps...

Hey, Oliver, time for some tough love, so to speak. What I read in your last post is pitiful excuses. Pardon my language but, grow a pair.

98 percent of singers have to work at it. "Too lazy" to do any ground work and just want to start out like a world class singer? Looking for the magic "spoon-fed" pill? Ain't gonna happen, doesn't exist. You don't need a camera, you don't need you problematic friend. Start out with the cheapest mic you can find that can connect to the computer you obviously already have. Upload the sound file to a free site like some of us use. Like dropbox or box.net.

I may sound mean, but ask anyone, I am probably the most supportive person you will meet here. So, if you really want help, you've got to take the suggestions to heart. Bored and alone? Welcome to the life of a singer. It's like playing golf, or guitar, or riding a skateboard. It takes some time learning, making mistakes. All the guitar players I have known, including myself, couldn't wait to get back to our rooms for some "boring, alone" time to practice something. Our problem was not enough time in the day to do that, what with school work, chores around the house, taking a shower, eating something to avoid starving, because all we could think about was working on our craft of music.

So, ask yourself, do you really want to sing? If you do, there is no "boring, alone" time. There is singing time, and everything else that gets in the way of singing time.

You decide.

I agree I'm just being a lazy bitch and those are just excuses. Well well now I'll put in those 2 hours of practice, I got a shure48 by the way. And damn I'm gonna practice for a few days then enroll in this friends friends studio to see if it is a big difference. The room ruining some audio quality is a great point, didn't think of it. I just like many things and get distracted, this morning I've been on facebook for 10 minutes then jsut watched interesting rap interviews on youtube, instead of learning to make music myself, my fault. Still I think I need other people, when you play guitar you have friends or family to check it out evey once in a while, but again my fault cause find someone interested or do it yourself, or just quit which i iwll not. SO my motivation is going to be practice a few days then go to that studio and hopefully not ruin it and never be allowed to come again looool. My feelings might be hurt if they say I totaly suck heh. I am real good at songwriting but my vocal abilities need a lot of work, the time is now . Who knows maybe they'll like me and I'll get to practice at the studio every week, postive thinknig :-). And whenever you talk botu singing technique I understand apsolutely nothing. I was for years into MMA (cagefightning) and K1 (kickboxing) and understand everything form nutrition ot techniques and buisness about it but bout singing technique I just don't well well maybe in time I will learn. I'm off to sing la la la gonna post a soundclick file here of my singing, it's not great but maybe ok.