How to modify "world" and sing it in G#4 and A4

Rate this topic

Duchi

Hello!

So here is this song that I'm learning and I have difficulties singing the word "world" in my higher chest voice (G#4, A4). The song is from Chris Cornell - Preaching the end of the world. How can I modify the vowel in this word?

Here it a sample from my singing:

http://www.box.net/shared/xrm35nxfh2azmsd31km0

You DON'T need to modify the vowel in this case, because the "Uh" vowel in "world" is one of the main curbing/mixed voice vowels. You just need to get more comfortable singing in that configuration.

jonpall, Duchi: Based on the recording, your current shade for this vowel is trending toward A, as in 'at'... its just a bit too open, and I suspect you are opening your mouth more horizontally than needed. Shade the word 'world' toward the same vowel as the word, 'foot' and I think you will get a better result.

It also seems to me that you are 'throwing' your voice at the notes on top, rather than approaching them with some consistent technique. Some 1-octave sirens will be of some help in building the consistency.

I hope you find this helpful.

Hello!

So here is this song that I'm learning and I have difficulties singing the word "world" in my higher chest voice (G#4, A4). The song is from Chris Cornell - Preaching the end of the world. How can I modify the vowel in this word?

Here it a sample from my singing:

http://www.box.net/shared/xrm35nxfh2azmsd31km0

sometimes the vowel modifier that you need can be different than another singer's modifier. it helps to experiment with very subtle shades that you try till you feel the ease and release and resonance come into play per your particular voice.

so for the word "world" you have shades you can try, example, you can experiment with shading more towards

"wehld" or you can try "wawld"....or even "wahld" (but subtle modifiying) also, pay attention to the words that preceed the word that you need to work on. so you have "end of the" preceeding "world"...how you deal with those words can impact your launch to the "world" word.

i listened to cornell and he's really singing "end of the" as "ehn, dah, dah"....these very subtle modifiers really help you avoid lockups and constrictions.

cornell (one of my all-time favorites) has one really well developed head register and he's very fluid and well versed on singing on the vowels.

it also helps to listen to others singers sing the word "world." when lou gramm sings his high-note "worlds" their almost always shaded to "wehld"

hope i made sense and helped.

I think the letter r might be inducing tension, too. In VH's examples like "wehld," the R is dropped completely or skidded over really quickly. I used to have my tongue all clogged up in the throat on r's but I'm pretty good with that now.

You DON'T need to modify the vowel in this case, because the "Uh" vowel in "world" is one of the main curbing/mixed voice vowels. You just need to get more comfortable singing in that configuration.

This is true, but in the clip I don't hear UH. It sounds more like OE which is probably where the issues lie.

So try modifying fully to UH, and drop the r as Wildcat said. If you're after a bit more power, try O as in body.

Thanks, guys!

@Steven Fraser - you are right about me opening the mouth too much horizontal. The vowel in foot is "Uh" right?

"R" is a bit of a problem. When I say "world" it feels like the tip of my tongue is doing higher and in the middle of my mouth and probably the base is going backwards towards my pharynx. It normaly stays at the back of my bottom teeth. I tried saying "wehld" and it sounds like "w-eh-uh-ld" with my tongue staying in place and only shaping the vowel with my lips and on Uh closing the mouth a little bit. Is this right?

Yeah, I guess I didn't word my answer well enough :) . I meant to say "One doesn't need to modify the vowel for the word 'world' because it already has an Uh vowel". I wasn't talking about Duchi's clip per say. But Steven is right - there is a bit of an Ah vowel in there and you should try to reduce the mouth opening a bit, because having your mouth open too much can lure you away from that compressed sound in the passagio that so many people like.

Yeah, I guess I didn't word my answer well enough :) . I meant to say "One doesn't need to modify the vowel for the word 'world' because it already has an Uh vowel". I wasn't talking about Duchi's clip per say. But Steven is right - there is a bit of an Ah vowel in there and you should try to reduce the mouth opening a bit, because having your mouth open too much can lure you away from that compressed sound in the passagio that so many people like.

now i get a little confused here. I have seen in lots of threads about curbing that the "uh" vowel is supposed to be pronounced as in the word "hungry", if that is correct you do need to modify the vowel in "world".

i need to clarify as well. i was suggesting experimenting with very subtle shades of the core vowel...sorry. kind of like when you used to have analog fm radios, and you needed to dial in on the station just right so it came in clear and had no static?

well, the old days of radio...if you guys are too young to remember this then you only know digital tuning.

Thanks, guys!

@Steven Fraser - you are right about me opening the mouth too much horizontal. The vowel in foot is "Uh" right?

"R" is a bit of a problem. When I say "world" it feels like the tip of my tongue is doing higher and in the middle of my mouth and probably the base is going backwards towards my pharynx. It normaly stays at the back of my bottom teeth. I tried saying "wehld" and it sounds like "w-eh-uh-ld" with my tongue staying in place and only shaping the vowel with my lips and on Uh closing the mouth a little bit. Is this right?

Duchi: Its an interesting combination of situations, one of which is aesthetic, and one technical. To start, at least in classical, broadway, rock and pop genres, when a vowel is to be formed right before an R in a word in English as spoken in America, the vowel is modified just slightly to give the impression of the R without actually making it. I think the brits do this as well. The resulting vowel for the word 'world', is just a hair brighter than the pronunciation of the oo letter pair as pronounced in the words 'took', 'look', 'foot', and 'put'.

Then, from that basic pronunciation a further modification is made by the individual, along the lines of what Bob (VIDEOHERE) said... you pick a shade from all the vowels closely related... one that sounds the best for that word on that note in your particular voice. This is often best found experimentally.

The degree of modification is extended as the male voice goes upward from the A4. Some vowels' resonance structure does not fit well with the harmonics of particular notes... to the point that the vowel and its closest relatives don't ring or feel good. In those cases, the modification that is chosen is toward whatever is the most resonant vowel in the category of the original (front, mid, back). That approach becomes less effective with rising notes (for the male, particularly above C5 ) where /U/ (as in 'up', 'cup', 'cut', 'putt', etc) and some European umlaut-vowels and their Scandanavian and Slavic variants are the best for many voices.

I hope this is helpful.