Ear closure after 2 hours rehearsal

Rate this topic

Hello Experts!!

My right ear closes? after about 2 hours of rehearsing (Classic rock lead vocalist) It is as if I have my finger in my ear and I can only hear (loudly) my own voice in that ear while singing or speaking. I hear this deeply within my head, as opposed to actually closing the same ear with my finger, which only produces a kind of superficial likeness to the actual problem. This problem continues with regular speech sometime after rehearsal ends then I go back to normal hearing. This has not been a problem that draws me off pitch and I have more or less learned to work around, but I sure welcome any thoughts about how to avoid, as I must be doing something wrong?

I have a very similar condition although the symptoms also occur at times when I'm not singing. It was diagnosed as Patulous Eustachian Tube which is a condition where the Eustachian tube, which is normally closed except for pressure equalization, stays open for extended periods of time. The result is the feeling that the ear is plugged up causing you to hear your own voice, and even breathing, very loudly although you can still hear outside sound normally. I've been told that it's a relatively rare condition but it might be something you would want to check into.

• Administrator

I dont like it. It is not right. if you ever get ringing, I would become even more concerned, for now, I would definately go have it looked at and not be jamming with your band with amps. cranked up to "11"... go find out whats going on.

How would you say about your vocal technique. In the past when I still sung forced and strained I actually somehow got the eustachian tube, so I heard some of my voice "from the inside" and it partially went that way. It wasn't so loud but still it happened. It got from the extreme straining I was doing some highnote or something, really really forced and then it happened. I dunno is it something to do with the airpressure in my head or something?

It felt dangerous and luckily I doesn't happen anymore as I sing a way better in technique.

Does your problem happen only during those reherseals, or have you noticed it just singing by yourself alone or something.. ?

• 5 months later...

Thank you folks!! The info I did find on the web suggests that my problems may very well be symptomatic of patulous eustacian tube. The problem is on and off and does not cause any discomfort. Lately this occurs while engaged in normal speech.

I would love to get this checked out but cant because of health insurance issues. Funny, it seems that my ears have always been ultra sensitve to the sliightest altitude change-- almost a flight of steps will cause a pressure EQ. My ears always equalize with a swallow or a yawn motion, but I cant repeat that same when this little problem manifests. Only time seems to remedy. Any tips ?

THANX!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. If the ringing is caused by exposure to excessive SPLs over a period of time, then it's more than likely damage to the cilia in your ear. If that's the case, then enjoy those frequencies you hear, as that is the last you will ever hear of them ever again. If the closed feeling is caused by listening too intently for too long (which I experience after a few hours editing/mixing with headphone monitors), then just going off into a quiet space and relaxing a bit should help open your ears back up.

If you need earplugs, you can have a pair custom made with a flat frequency response (that will roll off all frequencies equally), so that what you hear isn't distorted, just quieter. If you are a professional, these are a good investment. If not, you can pick up foam rubber ones at a drugstore, or even check and see if the venue you are playing have them. The trade off is that these distort sound quite a bit. As annoying as earplugs may be, they sure beat going deaf.