Progress!

eggplantbren

Hi all,

Thought I'd update you on my progress recently. I've been one of those long-term beginners, struggling with the passagio and getting frustrated a lot. It's been a long time coming but I'm finally starting to get to grips with singing in the range E4-A4 without falsetto and with any consistency. I've been aiming for the mix voice/curbing sound in this area. Thought I'd let you know what I think has led to this progress, in the hope that it helps some readers.

* Firstly, I moved apartments after there was a fire at my old complex. My new apartment has a whole room between me and any neighbour, which means I'm more comfortable practicing at a moderate volume for ~ an hour, several days per week without fear. At my old place I would sing too quietly and not often enough. I believe this has been the number 1 factor in the recent improvements.

* I realised that I was already in curbing when I sang lower, around D3-C4, at a medium volume. This was just my natural "chest voice". I didn't need to obsess over adding a hold, or crying, or moaning or anything, because I was already there. I just had to stop thinking about all that, and focus instead on being more relaxed in the throat and on adding a consistent, mild amount of twang.

* With the twang and the right vowels it just started working! The sensation to me is not one of going into head voice or anything like that. To me, it feels more like just pulling chest but on the right vowels and with the twang.

Now I just need more practice until it becomes really consistent! :D

Congratulations! and have fun :D a lot of new doors will open up for you to explore. The consistent twang and more open relaxed throat were milestones for me as well.

One other thing I've recently became more aware of and getting better control of is a more solid body connection between breath support and vocal folds. I had been using way to much effort trying to hold my diaphragm back. Been learning how to do it more efficiently with a LOT less effort.

Congratulations! and have fun :D a lot of new doors will open up for you to explore. The consistent twang and more open relaxed throat were milestones for me as well.

One other thing I've recently became more aware of and getting better control of is a more solid body connection between breath support and vocal folds. I had been using way to much effort trying to hold my diaphragm back. Been learning how to do it more efficiently with a LOT less effort.

Amen, and, AMEN!

Hi all,

Thought I'd update you on my progress recently. I've been one of those long-term beginners, struggling with the passagio and getting frustrated a lot. It's been a long time coming but I'm finally starting to get to grips with singing in the range E4-A4 without falsetto and with any consistency. I've been aiming for the mix voice/curbing sound in this area. Thought I'd let you know what I think has led to this progress, in the hope that it helps some readers.

* Firstly, I moved apartments after there was a fire at my old complex. My new apartment has a whole room between me and any neighbour, which means I'm more comfortable practicing at a moderate volume for ~ an hour, several days per week without fear. At my old place I would sing too quietly and not often enough. I believe this has been the number 1 factor in the recent improvements.

* I realised that I was already in curbing when I sang lower, around D3-C4, at a medium volume. This was just my natural "chest voice". I didn't need to obsess over adding a hold, or crying, or moaning or anything, because I was already there. I just had to stop thinking about all that, and focus instead on being more relaxed in the throat and on adding a consistent, mild amount of twang.

* With the twang and the right vowels it just started working! The sensation to me is not one of going into head voice or anything like that. To me, it feels more like just pulling chest but on the right vowels and with the twang.

Now I just need more practice until it becomes really consistent! :D

egg, i'll bet cha two to one you also found your way to breath support as well.

Archived