Robert Lunte - A Demonstration of Two Kinds of TVS Vocal Distortion

Rate this topic

Robert Lunte

• Administrator

I find it interesting how much people, in general, are so impressed by vocal distortion. I mean, its cool and all and I use it in my art... as a coach at TVS , we are working out the work flows and pedagogy for training it, but personally... its no more cool then the big boomy clean sounds that I was demonstrating as well. :cool:

Glad you guys like it. There is a full video on this in my training system, "Pillars" 2.0.

That was very cool Rob, a true hands-on demonstration and clear explanation on both kinds of distortion and

great sounding effects - looking forward to updates on this one !

Thanos

PS. Do you have/have plans on making a sample of a verse or chorus with these effects ?

Yeah it would be really cool to hear a verse or a chorus sung with these effects.

In general I think that many people like distortion because it's such a primal sound. It's like the singer is simply overcome with emotion and is about to break apart. Or something like that.

• Administrator

Thanos, always pushing the envelope and keeping me on my toes... good, Thanos is a vocal fighter-pilot. Yes Thanos. I am working on a song called, "Souls of Silence" which was produced by myself and Zach Uidl. It is the song I will perform on my Master Class tour in November. www.TheVocalistStudioMasterClass.com.

There will also be a video of it, the composition will be me tracking it in the studio. No fireworks, no special effects... its just about me and the song, in the studio, tracking. People can just watch it in the making. I think that kind of video is a lot more cool then purple monkeys and other abstract nonsense.

There currently is not a recording yet, but its getting close. Here is the bed track. I plan to have it come to life next month. What I have written is super hard. Sustained singing with boomy formants all around E-A4 and distortion worked in. The song goes on beyond 6 minutes:

https://thevocaliststudio.box.net/shared/static/2lreqcsgjju683o2ok96.mp3

• Administrator

Jonpall, I understand why people like distortion. I find more beauty and aesthetic pleasure in vocal sounds that celebrate the triumph of man, heroic sounds, refined formants of trained precision, a bit more than the primitive chaos of uncontrolled barbarism... and yet, vocal distortion is a refined and precise skill set, but the listener does not percieve it to be like they do with big boomy, more operatic clean formants.

of course we need both...

r

Robert, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Distortion is, for me, an emotion, not so much a trained technique, though I found your overlay easy enough to do when I was going through the book. It was totally safe. It's what I call a "funny" voice and I only do it for a slight spice, here and there. I recorded it, right up on the mic, no pop filter and, of course, overloaded the mic. And someone told me it was breathy. Go figure.

I have absolutely no desire to sing a song distorted all the way through, a la Brian Johnson but God bless him for doing so, because that is his thing. Nor do I spend nearly the time and effort others do to have some distortion. I, like you, totally get off on the melody. What struck me as awesome in your examples, especially the second one, is that harmonic tone you got, that is detectable aside from the distortion sound. That's more valuable to me than all the rasp and grit in the world.

And absolutely nothing wrong with those who want to have lots of distortion. That's cool, too. To each, his own.

I listened to the bed track and it sounds incredible, just by itself. But then, again, I have been and will likely always be a fan of your stuff.

And please, believe me, that's not kissing up. I have a nasty habit of saying what I think, which often gets me in trouble. It's not Ashberger's Syndrome, it's just the way I was raised.

• Administrator

Not so hard to find Ron. That is what TMV is here for as well. Network with musicians inside the main site at www.themodernvocalist.com and people here at the forum. Look for guitarists, they tend to be home recording producers as well and look on myspace.com as well and run a search for "seeking vocalist" or something like that, you find a lot of bands that sound great, have cool tunes, looking for a singer to at least, record on their tracks. A virtual recording project is totally fine.

Hey TMV Vocal Athletes:

Here is a demonstration I did for a French vocal forum on TVS distortion techniques. Hope you likey...

https://thevocaliststudio.box.net/shared/static/t4s8i82jzc0ic8hoze87.mp3

:P

rob, you're giving me nightmares!! lol!!!!

since my vocal issues, i have developed a little bit of a fear of singing. even though that was awesome and healthy.

please folks, make sure you get that kind of phonation heard by an instructor to make sure you are doing it healthily.

if that isn't done correctly, you may be getting yourself into trouble.

• Administrator

rob, you're giving me nightmares!! lol!!!!

since my vocal issues, i have developed a little bit of a fear of singing. even though that was awesome and healthy.

please folks, make sure you get that kind of phonation heard by an instructor to make sure you are doing it healthily.

if that isn't done correctly, you may be getting yourself into trouble.

BOB, IT ONLY SOUNDS LIKE IT HURTS, BUT IT DOES NOT. That is part of the point of the demonstration. It is in fact pretty free and open... its just wind in the vocal tract, "rattling" the ventricular folds (FVF) which is pretty harmless. Im the last person that would ever jump on a forum and claim that some distortion sound is healthy , when it wasn't. When you first start working on it, it can be a little bit scratchy a few times, but that is also pretty harmless and goes away.

However, Bob is right! If you do try these phonations and it grips, chokes you, your doing it wrong and you need to stop. If that happens, you are creating distortion by constricting and grinding tissue... do NOT let that happen. If you get into the head voice and then add extra twang and PTP, it can work for you.

Get permission from your doctor before you attempt to practice any of these techniques. I am not, nor have I ever advocated that you practice these techniques without permission from your doctor and without taking private lessons with me to insure your doing it right. If you try to make these sounds without permission from your doctor or taking private lessons with me, you do it at your own risk. This audio file is only a demonstration, it is not a lesson.

• Administrator

I have a growing collection of casual demonstrations and lecture content growing, so I decided to create a little convenient portal on my web site.

Click here. http://thevocaliststudio.com/tutorials-and-sample-phonations/

Then click inside the box.net widget and you can find the distortion demonstration and other things of interest.

Let me know if it is working for you.

• Administrator

Oh great, glad you liked it. Yes the form of semi-occluded phonation know as, "Resonant Tracking" is favorable for developing thyroid tilt or ... positions that enable twang-like phonations, which students of singing need to develop. Listen to the "Intrinsic Anchoring" lecture, I trust you will enjoy that one too.

Glad to help.